• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

British celebrity Keith Chegwin dead at 60! RIP!

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Link

RIP! He was a prominent TV and Radio host with a career dating as far back as the late 70's/early 80's as I recall, could even be further back than that.

Last edited:
He was a prominent TV and Radio host with a career dating as far back as the late 70's/early 80's as I recall, could even be further back than that.
His acting career went back as far as 1967, according to his IMDb entry

Ta-ra Cheggers, you've jumped on the great inflatable in the sky.

Seriously though, a lot of the obituaries are saying that his flagship show, Cheggers Plays Pop, featured gunge. That's not how I remember it. Maybe sometimes the inflatable obstacle courses contained the odd vat of liquid matter, but to me it looked like bubble bath - completely different from the version of gunge on Crackerjack. The latter show used to scare me, when the celebrity guests (along with the repulsive host Stu Francis) got gunged - it looked as if they were being puked upon from a height. I sincerely hope Stu Francis lives to a ripe old age and dies in complete obscurity - I for one do not wish to have my newsfeed taken up with reminiscences about his stint as a Crackerjack presenter.

I remember him very well on the very popular children's Saturday morning BBC TV show Swap Shop (AKA Multi-Coloured Swap Shop) from 1976 to 1982 presented by Noel Edmonds.

Here's the intro credits and a few clips and you can see Keith Chegwin in the hat, he was always out on the field in locations around the country where children were able to swap toys and other unwanted items for items they did want:

(Sorry about the s**te quality, you're probably better watching it in small screen.)

A lot of the time however I used to prefer the rival Saturday morning TV show Tiswas with Chris Tarrant on the other side (ITV) which ran from 1974-1982, but I often used to switch back and forth to see which show was currently the most interesting. Of course I'm really showing my age here.

Anyway, it's a sad loss. RIP.

(Good memories and some fitting tributes.)

PS: Did you know he has a twin brother named Jeff Chegwin although he doesn't look totally identical?

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom