• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Boxanne

Truth be told - gloss is just going to make the purple look even more mighty.

Look out everyone - Boxanne is coming through...
Very slowly, at 45mph.

Ed

I meant that I did not understand your original question.

Ed
Oh!

I would like to know how do you plan to build the inner part of your camper boxtruck. Like where will go the bed, what kind of kitchen will you use. Will it have shower and WC? That kind of things.

I have rough plans but they won't be finalised until closer to the time. What is for certain is that the bed is above the cab, in the small front section of the box. Then, on the wall below that overhang will be a raised seating area that doubles up as a spare bed for guests. To one side of the remainder of the van space will be a kitchen. On the other side will be a small bathroom.

23rwfesdfg.jpg

Ed

Last edited:
Guess it isn't going to appear as one of those classic inconspicuous vans that MI-5 uses. ;)

Got 2 dates booked in with the auto-electrician:

13th April to fabricate frame and fit solar panels. Feed wiring through the ceiling.

2nd May to do everything else. Battery, split charger, inverter, wiring, lighting, reverse camera.

Ed

Bodyshop has given me all but one of the roof measurements, so I can give that to the auto electrician, along with the specs of the solar panels I'll be ordering. Then they'll know what they have to work with when fabricating the frame for the panels to fit to.

In other news, I sent Den (bodyshop man) a load of photos of steps for the van. He told me the one that looked most suitable. So I ordered that this evening from a horsebox company:

Omnistor_Omni-step_550.jpg

Ed

I've only bought a new car once in my life. cars were crap when I was younger. fortunately to people like myself quality engineers, they have really improved over the last 40 years much more reliable. Corrosion resistance has improved and so has weathering. Areas I have a lot of experience in the above p[ictue is what is known as crazing most likely caused by a repaint the repaint not being the same resin system as the OEM coating, not being compatible with it some inter coat adhesion issue.

I know it's a climate thing, but I have never heard of a plastic box on a van, here they're all sheet metal. There's no way you'd get 18 years out of a plastic box here, you'd be lucky to get more than 2 years.

Can you not get a metal box?

It looks like the box is sheet metal probably made on a coil line, how long it lasts depends on the treatment used.

I hope you post pics inside and outside when you are finished, if you wish?
The plan does look promising!

I'm doing something slightly similar, but far behind you; rebuilding a truck camper to mount on my pickup truck.
I'm slowed down by my indecision and continuous possible updates.

Spoke with the body shop just now.
Tail lift and frame is nearly all removed.
Front cab is stripped and being prepped for respray.
Going to drop the step off on Tuesday evening, after work.
Hopefully by next week I should have some photos to share.

Ed

A lot of time and energy has been focused on the van since August. I'm a man of many half finished projects, so I knew it was prudent to see this project carried out by professionals.

The van is the pursuit of freedom, and reconnecting with myself. It's been a long road, and there's still several months to go until I'll be out on the road. I'm feeling antsy.

Financially I've been hyperfocused on the van: with all it's potential for design, labour, budget, compatibility, bookings, contacting workshops, researching parts and so many other levels of planning and complexities. After months of this, I'm a little frazzled.

In giving myself very little spare money each month, and cutting back on therapy, yoga and massage - I'll admit, it's leading to fatigue and feeling trapped.

Still, I know it'll all be worth it when the van project is completed. Whilst I feel like I'm in limbo at present, I remind myself that the light at the end of the tunnel is approaching fast.

I went back to basics - retail therapy. Initially I wanted some more sunglasses, as they help reduce the severity of the eye floaters when I'm outside during the day.

Then I happened upon a magical jumper that I knew had to be mine as soon as I clocked eyes on it.

ewtgg.jpg

Ed

Preppin' for the respray. Due to be finished by the weekend.
Too fast for the autofocus in the first photo it would appear.

337994440_1639652643164384_3650799488673822926_n.jpg

337995027_199772136023920_7984112376495079166_n.jpg

The bodyshop suggested the rear step into the van might not be low enough once fitted.

To my mind, that sounds like a short person problem. Something I have no knowledge of. I've nursed enough cuts, bruises and mild concusions from cracking my head on low doors and ceilings to know that we all have our cross to bear.

I might have to install a ride height metre like you get on a rollercoaster. Truth is, I have always enjoyed bounding up sets of stairs. This will be my home after all, and I won't deny - I'd quite enjoy the schadenfreude of seeing people struggle to get into the van.

Perhaps I could have a pair of these kids bucket stilts by the door. Just in case the "little people" wish to visit.

338578787_779853430513927_7262567139456873329_n.jpg

Ed

New Threads

Top Bottom