• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Boxanne

Swish.

IMG-20230408-WA0007.jpg

Ed

@maycontainthunder True, I probably should.

I asked Den to seal a part of the rear frame of the box. It'd distorted from the weight and torsion from the tail lift.

He said he'll put touch up paint on it.

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-08 at 13.42.59.jpg

Ed

Battens, insulation, plyboard, adhesive, foil tape and external stable door have all been ordered.

It's been an expensive day. I'd hoped it would relieve some of the inner worries, but it seemed to add to them.

Didn't see much change from 2k. This is all a lot more expensive than originally anticipated. I was quite naive in my approach, although that and my impulsivity has been a mainstay in life.

I think/hope I will feel less stressed out after collection and deliveries have been made on Friday.

I spoke with the carpenter who said he's looking forward to beginning on the project. I spoke with the body shop who said the van will be ready to collect tomorrow.

Had a bit of a run in with my mum, but it was mainly fuelled by fatigue on both our parts, and our catastrophic thinking which ended up bouncing off and inflamming each others worries.

One more day at work and then a 5 day weekend. Drop the van off to have the solar panels fitted on Thursday. Collect 40 wooden posts on Friday morning and await the arrival of 16 very large insulation boards.

I reckon I will feel a bit calmer by the weekend, once the upcoming events and bits and bobs are completed.

It's also interesting re-reading and editing this in the evening, and comparing it to the tone and where my head was at earlier in the day. Caught amidst high anxiety and catastrophic thinking. Quite exhausting by all accounts.

Ed

Last edited:
1500_1622727361_DDEXHWSOLSTABLESTRAIGHTTOP_primary1.png

Stable door.

HT-IM213046_LS_01_64c3edad-b8f6-4d50-8a6e-30f2e8371806_1200x.jpg

Iron fleur-de-lis hinges

Door will be painted orange.

340100282_6283473085038972_3728670137826758610_n.png

Rear exterior wall panelled in black cladding:

20-x-16-garage-with-black-featheredge-2.jpg

Purple
Black
Orange

Ed

Last edited:
The drive back was decent. When I got home I immediately spotted a list of things I didn't realise needed to be fixed.

Still, it's a project for that very reason. It's good that I instinctively spotted problems that need rectifying. Now I can set about seeing that it gets done.

Ed

Dropped Boxanne off this morning to get the solar panels and reversing camera fitted.

The owner is lovely. I'm blessed to have gone with my gut and met so many good, and genuine business owners who can help me get my campervan how I want it to be.

Had a lovely conversations with him, a colleague of his, and also the taxi driver who gave me a lift home.

I've felt stuck in a rut for a prolonged period, and things are starting to feel clearer, and less chaotic.

Also, driving the van in strong crosswinds made me laugh. Aerodynamic aren't her strong suit.
1f49c.png

Ed

I called the garage as I'd heard nothing from them. She rang back asking how urgently I need the van. I explained my schedule and that it was needed immediately.

She confirmed the fabrication of the roof frame for the solar panels is complete. Unfortunately the panels came with no wiring. They confirmed they've just received wiring they had to order.

Van won't be ready to collect until tomorrow at 10. Then to head over and get my timber collected before they shut at 12.

I asked if they had any idea on cost, but she didn't. To be honest I'm hoping somewhere between 6-800, seeing as I provided the panels and reversing camera. But we shall see. Truth be told I've underestimated the cost of most aspects of this project.

Ed

It looks wonderful in person. I was a little worried about how vivid it was. But truth be told it's grown on me hugely and now it makes me smile every time I see it.

Only thing I'm not too pleased with is they clearly rushed the Raptor black paint for the underside of the chassis, and managed to spray black on some of the purple bodywork at the back. Oh well, it is what it is.

Ed

Truth be told I've underestimated the cost of most aspects of this project.

Ed
We used to say that if you wanted to construct a building, first calculate how big you need it to be, then double the size.

After it is finished and you can finally move in to use it, it will still be half as big as you needed :p

It looks wonderful in person. I was a little worried about how vivid it was. But truth be told it's grown on me hugely and now it makes me smile every time I see it.

Only thing I'm not too pleased with is they clearly rushed the Raptor black paint for the underside of the chassis, and managed to spray black on some of the purple bodywork at the back. Oh well, it is what it is.

Ed
I was involved on manufacturing most of my life.
In order to make a product, the rule is first good, then fast and ultimately inexpensive.
The flip side of the coin is that the end user only gets to pick two off your list ;)

I was involved on manufacturing most of my life.
In order to make a product, the rule is first good, then fast and ultimately inexpensive.
The flip side of the coin is that the end user only gets to pick two off your list ;)
In business here we call that the impossible triangle.

Good Cheap Fast

You can have any two you like, you will never get all 3.

Talking of cheap and fast - 500+ bhp 6 litre turbo LS done stuffed into an RV on a small budget:

Ed

Last edited:
Solar panels are fitted, so here's a fitting song.

I've asked for a small discount for the next lot of labour with the auto electrician as the bolts they used were too long and has carved a line in the new paintwork.

Still, these things happen. The bodyshop was pushing hard to get the van finished and I think they did the Raptor paint outside, as some of it ended up on the purple paintwork in 2 places at the back.

There's no need to strive for perfection though. I sent the autoelectrician a polite email. Also to query one quick issue I had where I momentarily lost power, the battery light and another flashed up on the dash. And the camera turned on by itself.

I'm accepting that niggles will occur. I just wanted them to explain where to start looking, and the mechanic can have a gander on Monday when he does the cambelt and glow plugs.

I have contacted the bodyshop to ask if they have any of the paint left. If not, I've asked if they could order a small pot so I can touch up the defects. At the end of the day the van is 18 years old, and she'll be a workhorse. No point in getting angry or upset over a few scuffs and issues. These things happen, and there'll be plenty more to come I'm sure.

Strange really - normally I'd end up overwhelmed by such issues. But I took everything in my stride today. Collected the 40 battens as well.

Batten down the hatches!

q234123qtwd.JPG

Ed

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom