• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Boxanne

Motorbike plan is set. But van needs more investment first.

Like the look of the FB Mondial 125

1684703260008.png

Ed

@1ofakind I had a website but in years it had no sales and cost me £30 a month, which quickly adds up. I gave up on Instagram. Lots said I should be using it. But I never enjoyed it.

@Atrapa Almas I have a list of over 80 van park ups. I wouldn't want to park in car parks. The van should be part time liveable by next month.

Thank you, that means a lot.

Ed
Just want to quick apologize for not knowing your history with your art shows and all in regards to my comments. Thanks for the patience in responding and helping me catch up. Your artwork capabilities and end goals sound very promising and I wish you the best.

Just want to quick apologize for not knowing your history with your art shows and all in regards to my comments. Thanks for the patience in responding and helping me catch up. Your artwork capabilities and end goals sound very promising and I wish you the best.
I see no need for you to apologise, but I appreciate your good nature.

Ed

@1ofakind
I didn't mean to be short either. That day l was dealing with super hot days. We are back to 90 degrees. I just want to sit in my freezer.

Had a nice job interview. I noticed their office all had Mac desktops. Company has been going 10 years, covers 3 counties. Seems like it's doing well. Although being in a small office environment reminded me I'm looking forward to the move away from such things.

He said that since Brexit that finding people for care work is harder. He told me he did 5 years of up to 70 hour weeks. Phew. We had an informal chat at one point and I said that I assume the care industry will continue to grow, what with an aging population and longer life expectancies. I noticed we bonded quickly.

The woman who answered the door; I felt that spark, and we shared some smiles and looks. That made me happy. The interview was quite informal, and we had a cigarette break together. Think it's been over a year since I've smoked a cigarette socially. Reminds me, it's been a long time since I've had a cigar. Careful now, Edward. Nicotine is a bit moreish.

I asked plenty of questions, took an interest in him, the company, his background in care. In fact, he said all the office had a background in carework, and would even pitch in to do overtime care shifts.

Longer days mind you, but with lots of breaks inbetween. I figure this would be good, as it gets me away from home and the computer screen. I can go for walks, explore, go to the library or a cafe with my artwork. He said it's normally a 3 or 4 hour gap inbetween lunch and afternoon and evening home visits. Honestly, I think that would be a good thing for me, keeps me out the house occupied.

Although he did say they'd pay mileage if you travel home during your lunch break. 3-4 hours though? Phwoar. I really struggled in the last 2 jobs with only having 30 minutes. I've always been used to 1 hour lunch. But x3 or 4 that amount? That actually seems marvelous to me. Early starts and mid-evening finishes - good for avoiding traffic on commutes. Each day would feel like a complete cycle.

He said if you worked there a year, you could no doubt go for the next position up. He also said they'd pay for NVQ's. Of course I assume this would be based on how long you've worked there, and I know your performance is taken into account too.

Truth is I'm very flexible with hours and said I'd happily do weekends too, which is a higher hourly rate. He also said they're flexible with hours too. Of course, ideally they'd prefer full time hours, and that's what I'd go for as I need to get the van finished and chip away at the debt I owe. This is the perfect job for that. Keeps me busy, it's hands on work, plenty of breaks during the day, get to drive (which I enjoy) and listen to my music. Basically I can make a difference in people's lives, earn good money and go for further qualifications and a career if I enjoy the work.

I think it'll be a good change. I was honest throughout the interview, even when he asked if I'd previously been fired from a job. I explained I had, and that it was due to the repitition involved. Doing the same thing hundreds of times a week, thousands of times a month. I said it led to distraction. He smiled and said care work is varied. And I reiterated several times I enjoyed situations in office jobs where someone needed something that was time sensitive or problematic. Something to engage my brain and take it away from the relentless hours data entry.

Think I'm onto a winner. I found it quite interesting that he asked me if I'd be interested in the job at the end of the interview. Interesting shift in dynamic. Normally you hear back with a call to confirm "congratulations, you've got the job". Instead, he asked me honestly. And you know what? I think this could be a very good thing for me. The change I need. Flexible hours, good money, further qualifications and it keeps me out the house, and away from spending too much free time at the computer.

Speaking of computers - I have online training to complete, as well as paperwork. I'll get that done this week. Then I shadow a carer for a week, then I get started.

Chatted with my dad when I got home. Mentioned the idea of a selling the car eventually and getting a 125cc bike on the back of the van. He agreed, which was refreshing to hear.

When I was in my early 20's I sold my car and had a 125cc bike for a year. My parents were very worried. Natural of course, but quite intense. Anyway, modern bikes get 100mpg and can hit 70mph+. Keeps costs down, which means the 35 pence a mile the company pays ends up being extra money in the bank. Then go for the 7.5t license and have the motorbike on the back of the van on it's own bar/platform.

Need the van liveable first though, but I do miss the thrill of riding a bike. When it comes to selling my car that pays for the CBT and gets me a bike. Older one initially, I'm thinking something retro. Of course, motorbikes are dangerous; which is part of what makes it so thrilling.

Ed

Last edited:
Best jobs were always ones that offered enough challenges to keep my interest. One job l had, had a backlog of meditation cases, and l love it because it was a goal l had to get thru. Great news, maybe this job will wipe out debit, keep your brain busy, and give you the chance to finally live in your new home.

I'm so glad to hear about your positive job interview.

I'm not sure what exactly a "carer" in GB is. Here, we have staff called "Personal Care Assistants" or "Home Health Aids." They go into people's houses and assist with bathing, meal preparation, light housework and so on.

The reimubursement is based on need. People usually need help in the mornings and at the end of the day. I am guessing that is why your job would be four hours in the morning - long break - and then another four hours in the evening.

I know I do better with flexibility and a long break in the middle of the day to take care of whatever needs daytime attention in my life. I hope this works out for you.

Money worries never stop, just like all my other worries. The best I encounter is "gone, but not forgotten". They eventually return.

For me, money has been a hyperfocus since my first job 19 years ago. With the debt from the van project and losing my job - it's more intense than ever.

Today I got paid from my last job. It was over x3 more than I expected, and finally; since losing the job, I cried. A mix of happiness, but also it touched upon the core belief of unworthiness.

I feel less overwhelmed now. Plus, starting the shadowing work at the beginning of June means I will get a full months pay in a few weeks time, and I can re-book the carpenter to finsh up the work on Boxanne.

Ed

Carpenter is booked for 3rd and 4th July.

Can't afford it mind you. I'll be very much into my overdraft in July. But, on the flipside I get paid every 4 weeks in this job, so next payday is 21st July. I probably can't buy a mattress until late August, going into September. I don't think in 4 pay cheques I can get enough money together to buy the batteries, electrics and diesel heater for winter. We shall have to wait and see. If I can't, then I might have to get a wood burner instead to tide me over. I'd prefer a diesel heater as my regular form of heating, but for atmosphere and an occasional treat - you can't beat an open fire.

In other news, I just ordered a composting toilet off eBay. 12 very cheap monthly payments via PayPal credit.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Ed

Next week the carpenter is doing the final round on the van. He's also a decorator, and bought a van not long after doing the first part on Boxanne, so he's been doing a lot of the below for himself recently:

Finish painting.
Put up wallpaper.
Lay the lino the floor.
Install the composting toilet.
Install the gas and plumb in through the wall.
Install the wiring for the fridge & cooker.
Fabricate a bin and gas store.
Fabricate shelving.
Fabricate an extension for the base of the bed.

Then all I need do is save up for the mattress, the custom made majlis sofa, and buy the battery & electrics.
Granted, I could've done most, if not all this project by myself. But DIY isn't my calling, and with ADHD - if you have no interest in something, getting it done is very difficult, getting it done properly is even harder, and seeing it through to completion is virtually impossible.

I don't want the van to be another half-baked, half-completed project, as my life is littered with those. Besides, when I was working office jobs I had little energy or willpower to do DIY in my free time. Now I'm working very long days in care work - that desire is virtually non-existant.

Still, the van will get completed, and because it's being done by professionals, it'll be done to a much higher standard than I could probably muster with my chronic impatience and distractability.

Ed

But you basically are a subcontractor because you decide what and who and when. There is skill required in this as you might make ongoing decisions as things come up that force you to re-think the orginal idea, the economics, etc.

This morning I was clearing out the van ready for the carpenter to begin. As I was lifting the large cardboard box with the composting toilet in it. When I went to put it down, my lower back went ping. Thankfully it's only muscular.

We managed to jump start the van off a tractor battery. Still not sure if the battery is good though, as my dad reckons a cell might be dead. We shall see.

I found a local caravan place where I could buy a 6kg gas bottle. Another place said 2 of the main companies haven't made new bottles in 3 years. So you have to have a bottle to exchange. Thankfully this caravan place said whilst they're not supposed to, they'd charge me a little extra and I could get a bottle.

I also got pipework, a regulator and jubilee clips. Drove home and on the way back dropped off my Macbook Pro and Wacom tablet to the guy who'd done some Photoshop tutoring with me. I need the money for the van and don't use either enough to justify keeping them. Whereas he'd use them daily and was thrilled, as I knocked off £300 for what I could get for them, but will still get £1000. I also said he can pay me in 3 installments.

Gas storage built. Top and corner will be painted black. When I got back I realised I'd left the pipework at the caravan place, so I had to do another 50 mile round trip to collect it.

Carpenter has also built the shelving and the top of said shelving acts as the border for the extension of the base of the bed area. It's 3" short of a small double bed size mattress. He said he ensured the shelving was built very sturdy, so it doubles up as a ladder. Each shelf has a lip too - as when driving you don't want stuff falling off. Although I won't need steps to get up and into bed, in the future I might share the bed with a friend, and I tend to date short women. Shout out to the hobbit crew.

That's the toilet ontop of the seating/storage area, which will be secured on the opposite side of the gas storage tomorrow. He's also doing the wallpapering and other bits tomorrow too. I have also said I can hire him for the day on Thursday as he has the day free and we might get everything done by then. Which means all that's left to do is save up for the mattress, seating area and electrics.

Money will be nonexistant until payday on 21st July, but that's not too far away.

Work rang me when I was giving the guy the Macbook. Asked if I could work tomorrow. I agreed as again - I need the money. Besides, I have my birthday off on Wednesday, a half day working Thursday, a shorter day on Friday, and I have Saturday off. Sunday is the dreaded round with the hostile clients though. Deep joy.

Ooo I just heard thunder.

357695138_613367437441033_485179016033198504_n.jpg

357721499_613367497441027_78383255619182678_n.jpg

357682191_613367580774352_6084988819320206054_n.jpg

Ed

Last edited:
Definitely great choice, feels masculine and soothing. Being on the spectrum, l love patterns.

That is really coming along well. Good progress on a complex project.

You didn't ask, so feel free to ignore, but I found I was good at dealing with the difficult patients and you probably will be too. First and foremost, I would listen respectfully and at the beginning, let them talk as much as they wanted. (You might have time limits, I did too, but I found it was worth it.) In the beginning, they want to talk a lot, but once they get used to you, it will be much shorter.

They probably have a lot of complaints and feel misunderstood and poorly served. I just let them talk using active listening (nodding, saying short things like un-huh to let them know you are listening.)

Once the "difficult" people feel "heard" they are much nicer and more cooperative. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Floor goes in Boxanne tomorrow. I've also asked him to buy skirting board and architrave. I've also picked out the tiles I want for the kitchen wall, and a coloured grout and border too. But that won't be bought and fitted for another month or 2.

I've purchased some more wood stain so once he's finished I can sand and stain all the remaining bits of wood so they're a uniform colour.

This is going to look very high end once we're finished. I haven't seen any Luton campers bother with skirting board, let alone architrave.

Fancy.

Ed

New Threads

Top Bottom