• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Body Language and Job Interviews

If you're like me and can'r so a proper tie, just get a "clip on" one, most people in "high powered" positions get clip on ties for safety, like if you wear a clip on, you can't get strangled, as you could with a proper tie.
I don't need a tie. But the point I'm making is why do they even exist, when they serve no practical purpose in the 21st century?

I don't need a tie. But the point I'm making is why do they even exist, when they serve no practical purpose in the 21st century?

It's a formality thing, it's expected in an Office setting and some Retail establishments that male staff wear shirts and ties, it's been that way for years and years.

Like women have to wear a Blouse to work.

It's a formality thing, it's expected in an Office setting and some Retail establishments that male staff wear shirts and ties, it's been that way for years and years.

Like women have to wear a Blouse to work.
Yes, I know that it's a formality thing and expected, but my question is: WHY????

Yes, I know that it's a formality thing and expected, but my question is: WHY????

It kind of just... Is.

What would you prefer? Turn up to work in Jeans and a T shirt? Hardly professional is it?

Human cloning isn't legal yet (and probably never will be) but if it was, the retail trade would flourish, because everyone has to look the same in Uniforms.

As for mirroring, I think most managers/bosses would've heard of that by now and would be mostly creeped out by it, not like it's familiar. I can kind of understand why fidgeting would be a problem in a lot of offices or anywhere. If you're fidgeting and your coworkers are trying to concentrate on their work, it could be really distracting. For me personally, it is. I had a coworker shake his leg all day, someone else would twirl hair constantly, if I didn't know better I'd think they were trying to distract me. I think the reason it's bad to put on a mask just to get a job, unless you intend to keep your mask on the entire time you work there is, it seems like you're lying. If a friend lied to me just to get me to be friends, and then I found out later they were just lying, I'd probably keep my distance at least emotionally. In other words if you use some techniques to hide something about you in an interview, and then change, your boss and coworkers will probably think well we can't trust her/him. I kind of wonder if it would help to just walk into an interview and explain I'm autistic/aspergers, so they're not just wondering what happened? Not making it a big deal, just factual. Personally, I don't think you need to be an exact copy of all your coworkers, in fact I think most bosses actually try to have some variety to use each person's strengths. You need some people to be good at research, or data, or public speaking. Otherwise, what do you need all those people for anyway?

As for ties, I thought it was like some women wear scarves. Not required but I guess button up if you're not wearing those. Who knows, maybe they used ties/scarves to close a shirt kind of like some coats don't have a top button but a big collar, so you use a scarf.

I was certain I had mastered eye contact. I focus on it so hard when I’m in conversation. I did a return to work course recently and we did mock interviews. The number 1 complaint was that I had poor eye contact. Turns out I only look at people when they speak and I look anywhere else but at them when I speak. How I hadn’t noticed this I don’t know. Also complaints of too many long pauses and “uhh”s and “umm”s. Good talk me not in person.

I don't see why subtleties in body language should be such a big deal, but they are. I never got why wearing a tie is so important, or what it's purpose is. Or, as a woman, why I apparently have to wear silly, uncomfortable shoes that I can't walk, or work in. makes no sense. Unfortunately, usually, if you want the job, you need to play it by their rules.
I will never take a job that requires me to wear heels or make up. When I was 15 I worked at McDonald’s and was required to wear make up. I never did though, despite them telling me it was part of my presentation. Anyway I didn’t last there long. Customer service during rush hour broke me.

What would you prefer? Turn up to work in Jeans and a T shirt?
Yes.
Hardly professional is it?
Again, why? I don't see how my clothes are going to affect my ability to do my work as a teacher in a professional manner, or the quality or my work. If someone were to suggest that I don't do a good job just because I wear casual and not office attire, I'd be most offended. That's so superficial!!
It kind of just... Is.
Not good enough. I don't accept things just because they... are. I need to have a good reason to accept them.
I will never take a job that requires me to wear heels or make up. When I was 15 I worked at McDonald’s and was required to wear make up. I never did though, despite them telling me it was part of my presentation. Anyway I didn’t last there long. Customer service during rush hour broke me.
I never wear heels or makeup either. I don't even own any! I once had a summer job with MacDonald's, but I was never asked why I don't wear makeup or told to wear it. At first, they didn't want to put me on the tills, but I think that was for other reasons.

It kind of just... Is.

What would you prefer? Turn up to work in Jeans and a T shirt? Hardly professional is it?

What's wrong with that? I'm at work right now in shorts and a T-shirt.

Granted, I'm an electrical engineer and usually not in any kind of customer-facing role.

If it were a purely customer-facing role, and the customer expected me to have an air of staid professionalism, then I would wear the g-d suit and tie, as it signifies a more formal social role.

I occasionally have to dress up, but fortunately only when meeting with clients directly (a.k.a. "going begging"). I would not want to have to dress up every day, sensory sensitivities and all...

New Threads

Top Bottom