• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bladder and Potty issues

Hello! I would like to share something that has been increasingly bothering me (maybe because my awareness on it raised after the diagnosis last year). It's namely my difficulties to perceive when I need to go to the toilet. It's not that my body doesn't transmit the signals: I just tend to suppress it unconsciously. Sometimes when I notice, I've been holding it for so long that's too late. Luckily I've been able to avoid public embarrassments most of my life so far (I don't even know how, guess am simply lucky) but I would like to know if someone else suffers of the same issue and if there are techniques on how to develop more awareness towards it and to be able to stop what I am doing and simply do it.
Thanks for reading˜

You need to train your body. Start with urinating at a timed schedule whether you notice or not. That starts to reset that part of your CNS that is sensitive to your body's performance. Eventually you will monitor yourself better.

You are far too young for BPH (Benign Prostate Hyperplasia), but live long enough and you will experience it. In me, the median lobe is intruding into the bladder causing a lot of problems. There is one minimally invasive robotic procedure available for that and the only procedure that does not create dysfunction.

All I know discussing it with my doctor, two separate nerves control your bladder they are also hooked up to your anus .One controls the ability to go the other, not to go. Your body is not wired the way we would think.

Last edited:
Anxiety changes your u\d tracts ,so mindfulness(whatever that is for you) I was told if you want to go to the toilet GO ,I try to not go as I'm in pain a lot, then I can't avoid it, but I'm female so I have a different system.

The main difference between the sexes is bladder size, my mother had a large bladder. mine is huge, can hold 2 liters of urine amazed doctors and nurses.

Women have to be more concerned about infections as bacteria have shorter distance to travel.

Last edited:
I have that problem with urination. In order to know whether or not I have to go, I push right around the area where a belt would be, in the center. I suppose that must be where the bladder is because if I have to go, pushing there makes it obvious.

If you're talking about the other kind of bathroom activity, I don't know anything about that.

In hyperfocused mode I used to have the tendency to put off peeing when I had the urge. Only when I got up to pee I would notice how bad the urge was and I’d often lose some urine on my way to the toilet.

Now I just make it a habit to go when I feel the urge instead of postponing it. Which did not come in handy when I developed interstitial cystitis and had to retrain my bladder by not going to the bathroom when I felt the urge but postponing it for a while. But that was a temporary condition that’s gone now.

Hello! I would like to share something that has been increasingly bothering me (maybe because my awareness on it raised after the diagnosis last year). It's namely my difficulties to perceive when I need to go to the toilet. It's not that my body doesn't transmit the signals: I just tend to suppress it unconsciously. Sometimes when I notice, I've been holding it for so long that's too late. Luckily I've been able to avoid public embarrassments most of my life so far (I don't even know how, guess am simply lucky) but I would like to know if someone else suffers of the same issue and if there are techniques on how to develop more awareness towards it and to be able to stop what I am doing and simply do it.
Thanks for reading˜
I always need to go at the same time every day, it wakes me up in the morning. I don't need an alarm clock but waking up with stomach cramps every day is not really nice :D

I do “leak” occasionally :(
I think that might have to do with a medical problem I have though, more than it has to do with autism.
I always wake up having to pee though!

The Urge is minimal nerve effected by stroke. pressure lets me know I'm full.
I doubt this is any thing to do with being autistic.

About leakage, I don't know if you remember the Saturday Night Live sketch about "peenie pads" back in the 80s? Who doesn't have to go first thing? Thank goodness we don't wake up at the same time otherwise it wou,d be a race.

About leakage, I don't know if you remember the Saturday Night Live sketch about "peenie pads" back in the 80s? Who doesn't have to go first thing? Thank goodness we don't wake up at the same time otherwise it wou,d be a race.
I was born in the early 90s lol.
But that sounds hilarious and I will have to look it up! :)

I do “leak” occasionally :(
I think that might have to do with a medical problem I have though, more than it has to do with autism.
Yes, when you get to your forties ,you'll wonder why you cared about stress incontinence, I care more about death ,who evers death,stress incontinence in women is partly because the reproductive tract is close to the urinary tract ,so your brains answer is to push it out of you AND the primitive brain lightens you to run by losing urine.

New Threads

Top Bottom