• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Birds...

Magpies are very smart birds, I have a magpie nest in my garden so I see them here often. And magpie babies are hilarious :) Last year I had four of them running around on my lawn.

Birds are very entertaining.

It's great how there's a such a wide variety to observe on this planet. I particularly enjoy both observing birds in the wild, and reading news reports and articles about how birds manipulate different objects (messing with trash and other discarded things). Or witness or read about different birds that get into mischief. Of such birds, perhaps the more noteworthy of them, as it relates to actions like theft, is the notorious Seagull.

They are known thieves.

We have a hummingbird feeder in the back yard that attracts about a dozen birds. Hummingbirds are quite intelligent as well as they will come up and hover in front of our window if the feeder is getting low. They will also hover right in front of our faces if we are out in the yard and the feeder is low. This behavior indicates to me that they are aware of the source of food and also are able to attempt to communicate with us that they want more food.

I’m currently on holiday and I really enjoy hearing different types of birdsong and seeing different birds than I’m used to at home.

There's no traffic on our Lane of houses, masses of birds, small and large. We have sparrows nesting in our roof - well they come in under our side but the actual nest is next doors.

There are big seabirds on the roofs sometimes too, and when we first moved in there was a massive jackdaw nest in the chimney, we had to wait til after a certain date before it was legal to remove it, and the sweep was here hours.

Then he fitted a cowl in February so the jackdaw would look elsewhere. But think they raised a few families here, while the house was on the market for a while.

Hip hip hooray, I found the bird people!

Thrilled to see there are some bird lovers out there. My interest is mainly focused on art, but I also adore watching bird behavior in the wild. I don’t know a lot of facts and figures about them, but I have a special affinity for birds.

These are some random pictures I have saved from the Internet over the years that always bring me joy:
1658501247090.jpeg

Mumurations

1658501341306.jpeg

Bird in Winter

1658501402088.jpeg

Skybird

1658501801044.jpeg

Sculpture

Last edited:
We have a hummingbird feeder in the back yard that attracts about a dozen birds. Hummingbirds are quite intelligent as well as they will come up and hover in front of our window if the feeder is getting low. They will also hover right in front of our faces if we are out in the yard and the feeder is low. This behavior indicates to me that they are aware of the source of food and also are able to attempt to communicate with us that they want more food.
Once I was sitting on a porch in Oregon, USA, wearing a dress with a pattern of bright red flowers on it. I had a hummingbird comes so close to me that I thought he might stab me in the eye! It’s incredible how loudly their wings beat when they are very close to your ears.

Where I live now, I watch the hummingbirds be super aggressive with each other at the feeder! Feisty little creatures, they are.

Horned Owls, Shoebills, Pelicans, and Albatross are some of my favourites. I also have a crow and raven best friends

I also have a crow and raven best friend

Befriending these types of birds is so interesting to me. I have been learning how to do it, but my large dog is always with me - he is a hunter and I am afraid that he will actually eat a bird that comes too close. I wouldn’t dare put a precious bird in danger like that.

Anyway, @Bosko, did you train these friends at all? Did the friendship happen naturally? I am so interested in this if there are any details you care to elaborate on. Are there special treats that they like? Did they ever give you gifts?

Last edited:
Yes, the horned owl. Stunning beauties.
1659086166640.jpeg

Recently, I was lucky enough to see an owl flying through the woods. I’m pretty sure it was a great horned owl, but hard to tell - absolutely amazing to see it navigate the forest. I was driving and it flew alongside me through the forest for what seems like a really long time, although it was probably just a few seconds. How does it pass through the dense trees so adeptly with those great beautiful wings? It was truly an amazing sight to watch an owl actually flying through forest.

Befriending these types of birds is so interesting to me. I have been learning how to do it, but my large dog is always with me - he is a hunter and I am afraid that he will actually eat a bird that comes too close. I wouldn’t dare put a precious bird in danger like that.

Anyway, @Bosko, did you train these friends at all? Did the friendship happen naturally? I am so interested in this if there are any details you care to elaborate on. Are there special treats that they like? Did they ever give you gifts?
The friendship happened naturally after I shoo’d a cuckoo away. They’re personal favourites are peanuts. (I always get them unsalted and unflavored) they give me little pebbles and once a coin they found. They usually just hang out on my porch

View attachment 82710
Recently, I was lucky enough to see an owl flying through the woods. I’m pretty sure it was a great horned owl, but hard to tell - absolutely amazing to see it navigate the forest. I was driving and it flew alongside me through the forest for what seems like a really long time, although it was probably just a few seconds. How does it pass through the dense trees so adeptly with those great beautiful wings? It was truly an amazing sight to watch an owl actually flying through forest.
F5850F9E-2EDB-45C3-9937-7D52CD5D71EB.jpeg
Ah, the great Shoebill Stork. Know by the internetas the scary monster that will hurt you. I’ve actually met one and she was a riot. She was very kind to me and even made her weird noises

I have a small flock of these in my yard these days, White Wagtails. Wagtail kids. These birds are hilarious. If you walk towards them, they try to run away. But they are very small, so they are running as fast as they can for 10 feet, then they stop and look at you. If they don't like what they see, they run away again. And it looks like they are shouting "Omg run, run away! Save yourselves, run for the hills!" :)

1659103265330.png

Last edited:
View attachment 82710

@Owliet should see this thread.

The friendship happened naturally after I shoo’d a cuckoo away. They’re personal favourites are peanuts. (I always get them unsalted and unflavored) they give me little pebbles and once a coin they found. They usually just hang out on my porch

@Bosko, this is wonderful, the best kind of story. I’ve read and watched videos about this sort of thing so many times and you are the first real human that I have encountered who has actually done it. It’s wonderful to speak to you! I am so fascinated by your relationship with the birds, if you ever care to talk about it.

I’ve heard the cuckoo has developed quite a tricky way to survive in this world – is that the one that plants its eggs in other birds’ nests? And then tricks those birds into raising the cuckoo chicks?

I’m sitting here wondering if your birds ever keep a few of the pebbles and coins for themselves. Keeping them in their nest, perhaps?

New Threads

Top Bottom