• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Birdies

Drakanav

Bird Fanatic
I have a interest in birds. Since the beginning of March this year, I've decided to write down every bird I see/hear everyday. There are 350 species of birds here, in Alabama, 900 in North America.

M & F means Male and Female. Ones marked with only M, is because I haven't seen the female yet. Usually identifiable by their plumage/feather color.

Here's all the birds I've seen/heard:
American Crow
Mourning Dove
Chipping Sparrow
House Sparrow (M & F)
Northern Mockingbird
Northern Cardinal (M & F)
Brown Thrasher
Blue Jay
Brown-headed Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch (M)
Downy Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Red-headed Woodpecker
Carolina Wren
Carolina Chickadee
Eastern Phoebe
American Robin (M)
Eastern Towhee (M)
Cedar waxwing
Red-winged Blackbird (M)
Tufted Titmouse
House Finch (M & F)
Purple Finch (M & F)
Purple Martin (M)
Tree Swallow (M)
Bluebird (M & F)
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Brown-headed Cowbird (M & F)
Barred Owl
Canada Goose

What birds have you seen commonly in your area?

Been seeing a lot of eagles around. They make those big nests on the top of power poles. So that species is continuing to rebound, which is a good thing

dunnock
European blackbird
wood pigeon
European Robin
coal tit
starling
herring gull
European Carrion Crow
jackdaw
common tern
European magpie
House sparrow

Screech Owl
Great Horned Owl
Barred Owl
Mockingbird
Fish Crow
Sandhill Crane
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Great Blue Heron
Little Blue Heron
Falcon
Redtail Hawk
Eagle
Osprey
Ibis M F
Flamingo
Canadian Geese
Wood Stork M F
English Sparrow M F
BlueJay M F
Coot
Cardinal M F
Laughing Gulls and more. Lots of birds in Florida when you have woods and ponds in back yard.

Hardly any in my urban garden with plenty of cats too. :eek: I've seen Blackbirds Blue Tits Wrens Magpies Gulls Starlings Pigeons that's all, and not very many. On walks near I ve seen Ducks Swans Coots Moorhens Geese on the river Mersey. Thrushes. Crows. Jays in the woods. Also seen those green parrots in the park a couple of times they can't be native.

I hear: Sparrows, Robins, Starlings, Kites, Night herons, Blue herons, Seagulls, Snowy egrets, Common crows, Ravens, Swallows, Finches, Wrens, Osprey, White Herons, a variety of Ducks, Swans, Sand Pipers, Geese, Pheasants, Grey Jays, and a variety of other birds I can't put a name to because I'm living in a foreign country.

I'm in PA. I see Red tailed hawks a lot, occasionally Bald Eagles and Turkey vultures. Junkos, Chickadees, Barn Swallows, Robins, Blue Jays, Lots of Crows, Cardinals, Mourning Doves, Tufted Titmouse, Nuthatches and many types of woodpeckers. One is real big and black with a red crest and makes the Woody Woodpecker sound. Also chipping sparrows and Canadian Geese and white and colored ducks. 50 miles south of here I see Seagulls in the big parking lots far from the ocean.

Don't see that many birds over the winter, I'm in Northern Canada. The birds that are actually native and overwinter that I've personally seen are:

American Crow
Black-Backed Woodpecker
Black Capped Chickadee
Brown Creeper
Cedar Waxwing
Common Raven
European Starling
Golden Eagle
Mallard Duck
Northern Cardinal
Peregrine Falcon
Pileated Woodpecker
Rock Dove
Sharp Shinned Hawk
White-breasted Nuthatch
Wild Turkey
Winter Wren
Spring and summer there are too many to list, which migrate here.

My favorite birds would be the Brown Thrasher, Cedar waxwing, Wren and Chickadee.

I like when a Wren perches of a fence, you can see them make a ‘sway’ like motion when looking around. It’s very cute and funny. They’ll build nests in the weirdest places, such as a grill, car bumper, or a shoe.

The Chickadee can hang upside down to get food on limbs. Sometimes, they can have 2 broods in one year, instead of one. They’re very friendly, and can feed them sunflower seeds from your hand. But they fly up to a tree to crack it open.

The Brown Thrasher, is a very territorial bird, and can attack humans if you’re around it’s nest. This bird is related to the Mockingbird, and Catbird. Has been recorded, that they have over 1,100 songs. You can hear them “thrashing” around, moving leaves and sticks around bushes to find insects.

The Cedar Waxwing, goes in groups. Tree to tree, they are trying to find berries in the winter. You’ll here them make their “Eeee” call. They are called waxwings, because of their waxy tips on their wings.

That's a neat obsessioon. Was for a walk today at my local park and saw close to 20 ducks in the ocean there.

I am a bit of a funny one on this. I love birds, but don't have enough interest or time to learn a lot about the many varieties of them, or actively go bird watcing, or "birding" I think they call it these days. I would say I like to learn a bit about them as a passing interest, and love them when I am around them. I used to have a few budgies. All have eventually died sadly.

I do happen to take notice when I travel to a different region and see birds I don't normally see. I found it most amusing when I was in the Okanagan Valley of British Columbia last fall. They have some sort of brown bird with a few long feathers that come out of the top of its head. When they land they can get running at a comically fast speed on the ground. It reminded me of the Road Runner from looney tunes or something. I never did find out what kind of bird that is.

New Threads

Top Bottom