• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Biphasic Sleep

Raggamuffin

V.I.P Member
Supposedly it was quite common in the past - to sleep twice a day, as opposed to one, monophasic sleep period each day. As for benefits - I've read it could help with productivity. Mind you, this was in the Seth material - and a lot of information written in that books is rather profound. I feel that lengthy sleep can hinder me, rather than help. As far as I can tell there appears to be no issues with trying this method; so long as I get 7-9 hours sleep. I'm used to 8-9 hours sleep a day - but I find this method rather intriguing and I intend to try it as of next week.

I'm going back to my old shift pattern at work next week and I wanted to attempt biphasic sleep. Recently I've been exercising more, and now I'm finally making a point of drinking more water. The aim is to reach 3 litres a day and in turn reduce the amount of caffeine I drink. Poor diet and living off coffee hasn't been good for my stomach of late. Add stress to that and I'm not in the best place.

Before the lockdown I had a nice routine going - I'd wake up at 6am. Leave for work at 6:30am. Arriving at 7:10am which is 80 minutes before work begins. I would then go for a long walk around the woods and sit to meditate by the lake. A relaxing start to the day. Now that we're reverting back to this old shift pattern of 08:30 - 17:00 I will get my hour lunch break back. This means another walk, or doing my contact staffing, or taking an hour to sit out on the grass with my lunch and read a book - anything to get away from that office.

For biphasic sleep I will be attempting the following:

Sleep 1 - 02:00 - 06:00
Sleep 2 - 18:00 - 22:00

With this, and maintaining my regular exercise whilst increasing water consumption - I think I could be onto a winner. What will be nice about trialling this sleep method is that I would be both a morning person, and a night owl each day.

I'm quite excited to give it a go. I'll keep you posted on how this experiment goes.

Ed

Last edited:
One of my colleagues sleeps in two shifts of four hours each too; not because he planned it out like you, but because his sleep schedule had been messed up for years, where he'd sleep (more or less) during the day and work at night.
At some point, he unknowingly ended up with a similar pattern you are aiming for - one could interpret this as a sign that humans still have the unconscious tendency to fall into this.

I feel I've been lucky; in all my years with stress and anxiety it's rarely affected sleep. If anything, when times are bad I sleep more than normal and never have issues getting to sleep. I know sleeping too much isn't exactly healthy - but it feels easier to live with, compared to not sleeping enough.

I think the sleep pattern trial will mean I am awake predominantly during the day time. Plus with the regular time outdoors and exercising, I'll be sure to get enough sunlight and fresh air etc. Hydration supposedly helps you feel more awake and alert after a few weeks too.

I've done a few night shifts in previous jobs and I ended those days feeling like a zombie. It's quite surreal how your mind and body reacts to reversing your sleep schedule.

I can imagine the first few days or weeks of this new pattern could be a shock to the system, but I'll persevere for a few months to see if I find it beneficial in the long run. At the end of the day, there's no harm in trying.

Ed

Last edited:
Yes I have read about this in pre- electricity times, the midnight hours often being the most productive for writers and poets... and witches ;) I am a night owl but I am healthier in the body and mind when I sleep earlier. That said I should go do that

Supposedly it was quite common in the past - to sleep twice a day, as opposed to one, monophasic sleep period each day. As for benefits - I've read it could help with productivity. Mind you, this was in the Seth material - and a lot of information written in that books is rather profound. I feel that lengthy sleep can hinder me, rather than help. As far as I can tell there appears to be no issues with trying this method; so long as I get 7-9 hours sleep. I'm used to 8-9 hours sleep a day - but I find this method rather intriguing and I intend to try it as of next week.

I'm going back to my old shift pattern at work next week and I wanted to attempt biphasic sleep. Recently I've been exercising more, and now I'm finally making a point of drinking more water. The aim is to reach 3 litres a day and in turn reduce the amount of caffeine I drink. Poor diet and living off coffee hasn't been good for my stomach of late. Add stress to that and I'm not in the best place.

Before the lockdown I had a nice routine going - I'd wake up at 6am. Leave for work at 6:30am. Arriving at 7:10am which is 80 minutes before work begins. I would then go for a long walk around the woods and sit to meditate by the lake. A relaxing start to the day. Now that we're reverting back to this old shift pattern of 08:30 - 17:00 I will get my hour lunch break back. This means another walk, or doing my contact staffing, or taking an hour to sit out on the grass with my lunch and read a book - anything to get away from that office.

For biphasic sleep I will be attempting the following:

Sleep 1 - 02:00 - 06:00
Sleep 2 - 18:00 - 22:00

With this, and maintaining my regular exercise whilst increasing water consumption - I think I could be onto a winner. What will be nice about trialling this sleep method is that I would be both a morning person, and a night owl each day.

I'm quite excited to give it a go. I'll keep you posted on how this experiment goes.

Ed

In Greece and mediterranean countries there's still biphasic sleep - althrough not everyone does this. It has very good effects on me, monophasic sleep doesn't fit well.
I stopped coffee about a week ago, and as each time I do that, I don't regret it. I just crave for the taste, but it's not helping stress at all.

Keep us in touch :)

Biphasic sleep would be beneficial to me, but I can't... if I lie down during the middle of the day, my mind won't shut down enough or relax enough to sleep. And the other thing is, if I know I still have to work later in the day, my mind is on that and I can't sleep. I really don't know how people manage to relax enough during the day that they can sleep. My mind just won't shut down.

I'm a little peeved at whomever coined the term 'Biphasic'. A clumsy and over engineered word I'd say, and now we are stuck with it. I'd prefer something like 'Split Zs' (Z-Z in shorthand). Or maybe ZZ Flop.

I attempted it out of necessity when taking night college courses, but it did not work well for me.

I sometimes have a biphasic sleep pattern, not purposely, sleeping say 10 til 2 or 3 am, then awake 2 or 3 hours, and sleeping again for an hour or two. I don't mind it. But if I go to bed later that generally doesn't happen, I sleep 6 hours or so.

Been doing split shift sleep for about 5 years, menopause and aging affected my sleep patterns, and split shift is what was left from the wreckage.

I can't sleep the monophasic pattern.
I just wake up after about 4-5 hours wide awake and want to get up and have breakfast.
Then after usually 2 hours, I feel the need to finish the rest of the cycle.
So I sleep another 2-3 hours in the early afternoon.
Then I'm up for working around the house or going where I need, a little TV and PC time at night.
Stay up until 5 am and the cycle starts again.
5 am - 10 am, then 1 pm - 3 or 4 pm.
Odd hours, but, it is what my body seems to want.

I can fall asleep very easily with no trouble even if anxious or stressed.
In fact it is easier if I am because it is a quick escape from the problem.

New Threads

Top Bottom