• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bi-polar information

VAW

I was just wondering if there are any people on here diagnosed with Bi-polar that can help me with some questions I have.
My step son has come to live with us and he is Bi-polar 3 I believe, he was an addict and an alcoholic.
His room is always a disaster, he will drop things and not bother to pick them up and just walk away, he leaves lights on, sometimes the door is left open in -7 degree weather, He has gotten mad because he didn't get his way and went screaming after his dad and almost hit him, he cut himself up where there was blood all over in pools in the garage one night, he got mad last night and said he will burn my house down, I think it was just letting off steam but who knows? He is not generally a violent person but those times of fits can be and we are not sure what will happen. Are these all traits of bi-polar or are they bi-polar and laziness? or bad habits too? He seems to not understand our reasoning but always tries to put his reasoning in instead or blame us for not understanding why he does things.
He has gone to AA and has some meds for Bi-polar and also hasn't used except THC gummies. He doesn't drink anymore unless he sneaks it like before and we just don't see it. So my question is....if you are bi-polar what have you done to help it? I know he has been on meds but still has break through fits that usually happens when he doesn't get his way. He is almost 44 years old. Any suggestions on what to do? There is so much more but I am trying to keep this short. Any help is appreciated!

Blood in pools in the garage he sounds like a real assface, any guest who lives in your house and threatens to burn it down needs to go. They respect your home or they go somewhere else.

Wait, did l read 44 years-old? I think at this point, you are enabling his behavior by allowing him to live with you. If he burns the house down, l hope you get out of denial and let him live alone. Just recently, there were two cases of the sons of two different families killing their parents. Both were over the age of 25, both had prior issues of controlling their anger. Bipolar is a very difficult issue to treat, as most bipolar patients don't like taking their meds. Intervention would be taking him to have his medications changed or re-evaluated, or telling him to move out. Be prepared to contact the sheriff to accompany him of the property. Good luck with this, it must be very difficult to see someone you love and raised, have a tough time navigating thru a mental illness. This is a very personal issue, perhaps sitting down with his MD or therapist will give you a better idea on how to handle his explosive behavior.

Last edited:
Wait, did l read 44 years-old? I think at this point, you are enabling his behavior by allowing him to live with you. If he burns the house down, l hope you get out of denial and let him live alone. Just recently, there were two cases of the sons of two different families killing their parents. Both were over the age of 25, both had prior issues of controlling their anger. Bipolar is a very difficult issue to treat, as most bipolar patients don't like taking their meds. Intervention would be taking him to have his medications changed or reevaluated, or telling him to move out. Be prepared to contact the sheriff to accompany him of the property. Good luck with this, it must be very difficult to see someone you love and raised, have a tough time navigating thru a mental illness. This is a very personal issue, perhaps sitting down with his MD or therapist will give you a better idea on how to handle his explosive behavior.
He came to live with us because his wife told him to leave, she bought him a trailer to live in along with her step dad but they got into a fight and he couldn't stay there, now we realized why they couldn't take him with things that he does. He was a stay at home dad for 16 years so he has no money and is waiting to see if he gets disability on Feb 15 is the court telephone date. His wife still pays for his medical right now and gives him a small amount of money for things like Cigarettes and stuff he wants but we pay for everything else. He is from another state and we have no idea who his doctor's are. He is on a lot of medications which he has that transferred here. I am not sure but has anyone been to a facility for mental health? WE live in Wisconsin and he is from Georgia so it is a long distance away. he has a psychiatrist that he used to talk to but I haven't seen him on the phone talking to anyone lately.
I just don't want to kick him out when he has no place to go and no money, his father gave him until his court date but I would like to help him at least get to a facility or somewhere they can help him. I can't find any place like that in this area, and no place is free and I can't afford a lot to give him. Thank you for your answer, it does help!

Blood in pools in the garage he sounds like a real assface, any guest who lives in your house and threatens to burn it down needs to go. They respect your home or they go somewhere else.
Thank you for your reply, and I agree with your statement, but as a mother or in this case even a step mother, I can't just kick him out knowing he has no money and no place to go. That is the problem.

If things do get worst, you can have him committed as a ward of the state. It's disturbing to hear that he threatened to burn your house down. I figured it was a lot more complicated. I just hate to see you become harmed in any way. It's best to document threats incase you are forced to call the police. I truly hope it doesn't go that route. Above link is for guardianship in Wisconsin. This agency may have a more resources to help you out.

This is info on him becoming a ward of the state.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply, and I agree with your statement, but as a mother or in this case even a step mother, I can't just kick him out knowing he has no money and no place to go. That is the problem.
You are in a very difficult position here. My heart goes out to you.

The threat to burn the house down (and the fact that you are not absolutely 100% sure that he would never do that) suggests that you may have to consider doing the most impossible thing and telling him he must leave regardless of the love and care and responsibility you feel for him.

The situation as it is is not working and it may be time to start to consider calling in more supports (psychiatric hospitalization, inpatient addictions treatment, supported living situation/ group home).

It sounds like his mental health issues (bi-polar III) were intertwined with his drug and alcohol use. If he has actually stopped using and drinking, he may be feeling the symptoms of bi-polar much more strongly without his substance of choice.

Sometimes, people descend so far into their addiction and mental illness that even those who love them most are not able to help in the moment. If he could get some professional help, you may be able to help him recover once he has stabilized. The situation you've described is not safe for you. He is not a helpless teenager who you are kicking to the curb. He is a grown man who needs some help with his mental health issues and he may not be able to get that where he is now.

I'm so sorry. It sounds like understanding a diagnosis is not going to be helpful here. There seems to be addiction and other life stressors resulting in a lot of instability. I hope you can seek professional help. Also, not sure if you could figure it out, but any chance he is not taking his medications? I wouldn't ignore threats.

If things do get worst, you can have committed as a ward of the state. It's disturbing to hear that he threatened to burn your house down. I figured it was a lot more complicated. I just hate to see you become harmed in any way. It's best to document threats incase you are forced to call the police. I truly hope it doesn't go that route. Above link is for guardianship in Wisconsin. This agency may have a more resources to help you out.

This is info on him becoming a ward of the state.
okay, thank you! At least there are options now!

I'm so sorry. It sounds like understanding a diagnosis is not going to be helpful here. There seems to be addiction and other life stressors resulting in a lot of instability. I hope you can seek professional help. Also, not sure if you could figure it out, but any chance he is not taking his medications? I wouldn't ignore threats.
He is pretty good at taking medications lol but I am just not sure it is working for him. I know bi-polar is an up and down thing. and people can try a lot of different ones before they hit the right one.

You are in a very difficult position here. My heart goes out to you.

The threat to burn the house down (and the fact that you are not absolutely 100% sure that he would never do that) suggests that you may have to consider doing the most impossible thing and telling him he must leave regardless of the love and care and responsibility you feel for him.

The situation as it is is not working and it may be time to start to consider calling in more supports (psychiatric hospitalization, inpatient addictions treatment, supported living situation/ group home).

It sounds like his mental health issues (bi-polar III) were intertwined with his drug and alcohol use. If he has actually stopped using and drinking, he may be feeling the symptoms of bi-polar much more strongly without his substance of choice.

Sometimes, people descend so far into their addiction and mental illness that even those who love them most are not able to help in the moment. If he could get some professional help, you may be able to help him recover once he has stabilized. The situation you've described is not safe for you. He is not a helpless teenager who you are kicking to the curb. He is a grown man who needs some help with his mental health issues and he may not be able to get that where he is now.
Thank you for your reply, We have been thinking a lot on which way to go with this, its all hard decisions especially when you see them crying and are sad, but sometimes things need to go that way though.

He is pretty good at taking medications lol but I am just not sure it is working for him. I know bi-polar is an up and down thing. and people can try a lot of different ones before they hit the right one.
I am really sorry to hear you are all having such a tough time. Bipolar disorder is an up and down thing and it tends to change over time. I have a first cousin and an ex (who is now my roommate) who struggle with it. It can be very hard to live with someone who has it. From what I have seen, BPD is also a sort of a spectrum as well...it all depends on the severity of their BPD and how willing they are to co operate with getting treatment and sticking to it...and how successful treatment is at that particular time...and if they are at an emotionally triggered stage of their cycle. Both my cousin and roommate have told me that meds and psychotherapy do not take care of the whole problem. It is still a big struggle on treatment.

It sounds like, if your step son is taking his meds in the prescribed amounts, that they need to be re-evaluated right away. The same meds usually do not work forever. Everyone I know has had to readjust meds, at least every few years. He really should be under the continuous care of a psychiatrist and in psychotherapy as well. If he isn't making an effort to do so, I would interpret that as a red flag. Also, if he is using drugs and/ or alcohol on top of the meds, that is another red flag.... and it could be making things worse. A lot of people w/ BPD try to self medicate with alcohol, marijuana or other drugs, (instead of taking meds at all, or so they can try to take less meds) because it does not make them gain weight, feel tired, impotent or brain dead, etc. like the meds do. They all have very unpleasant side effects. I have seen people reduce the amount of meds and increase the amount of the alcohol or drugs over time, and then they eventually have a bad episode. This can be a serious problem because alcohol can basically reverse the positive effects of some of the meds, causing huge/ worse mood swings. It can also have an additive nervous system depressant effect on top of the medication. Most of the anti-seizure meds used for BPD are not supposed to be mixed with alcohol, and mixing them with a lot of alcohol or other depressant drugs can be life threatening. My roommate does this a lot and I tell him often that he needs to be careful that he does not overdo it....otherwise, he might not wake up one day. I have also warned him a few times when he gets too manic and angry, that on less meds, he might go off the deep end and do something he will seriously regret, losing his job or ability to see his kids. He laughs it all off, and plans to get away w/ less meds as long as he can. He lives in an alternate reality and thinks he has things under control, and cannot see what is really going on. He gets his old prescription refilled by his primary care dr (which isn't legal in NY) and refuses to see a psychiatrist for revaluation of his condition and meds...or to get back into therapy. I consider him a potential walking time bomb and hope that he can beat the odds as he hopes to. I can only try talking to him every now and then, and if things get bad for him, I will call 911 and have him sent to the hospital.

This is a common thing with people w/ BPD, and it sounds like it could be what is going on w/ your step son....at least his behavior and alcohol/ drug use seems to sound like that to me. He needs help now, otherwise he could do something to seriously injure himself or someone else. It sounds like either his meds don't work well for him or that he is not taking them as much as he should be. Do you know if he is really taking them at the correct dose? Have you tried talking to him about seeing his psychiatrist or getting a new one, since he has moved? Hopefully he will do that and have his meds adjusted, or he will start taking them properly. He may not agree to get help, and you may have to wait until things get worse before you can have him sent to the hospital, so that he can get reevaluated and put on the proper meds. This is what has happened with my cousin a few times, and it has been worse each time. I would be careful and would not disregard any of his threats. Especially anything he threatens more than once. He may work himself up to doing something dangerous that he will regret later.....which in his manic or depressed state, he will not have the presence of mind to stop himself from doing. I would definitely look into what the laws are for hospitalizing someone for BPD in your area, just in case things get worse and you have an emergency situation. Self harming, w/ a lot of blood everywhere, can be interpreted as a suicide attempt, and that is basis for hospitalization at the time of the injury. You also may be able to call the police if he becomes too threatening or violent, and if you know he is off of his meds and tell the police that, they will likely take him to the hospital immediately (at least that is what they do here in NYC). If he is unwilling to see a doctor and get help, unfortunately, an emergency is the only other way he is going to get help.

It is a really difficult situation, and I really hope things work out for you all and get better soon.

Last edited:
The medication for bipolar is horrible. Lithium can just turn them into zombies, just normal dosage. And meds do need to be recalibrated ever so often, or completely changed out.

I am really sorry to hear you are all having such a tough time. Bipolar disorder is an up and down thing and it tends to change over time. I have a first cousin and an ex (who is now my roommate) who struggle with it. It can be very hard to live with someone who has it. From what I have seen, BPD is also a sort of a spectrum as well...it all depends on the severity of their BPD and how willing they are to co operate with getting treatment and sticking to it...and how successful treatment is at that particular time...and if they are at an emotionally triggered stage of their cycle. Both my cousin and roommate have told me that meds and psychotherapy do not take care of the whole problem. It is still a big struggle on treatment.

It sounds like, if your step son is taking his meds in the prescribed amounts, that they need to be re-evaluated right away. The same meds usually do not work forever. Everyone I know has had to readjust meds, at least every few years. He really should be under the continuous care of a psychiatrist and in psychotherapy as well. If he isn't making an effort to do so, I would interpret that as a red flag. Also, if he is using drugs and/ or alcohol on top of the meds, that is another red flag.... and it could be making things worse. A lot of people w/ BPD try to self medicate with alcohol, marijuana or other drugs, (instead of taking meds at all, or so they can try to take less meds) because it does not make them gain weight, feel tired, impotent or brain dead, etc. like the meds do. They all have very unpleasant side effects. I have seen people reduce the amount of meds and increase the amount of the alcohol or drugs over time, and then they eventually have a bad episode. This can be a serious problem because alcohol can basically reverse the positive effects of some of the meds, causing huge/ worse mood swings. It can also have an additive nervous system depressant effect on top of the medication. Most of the anti-seizure meds used for BPD are not supposed to be mixed with alcohol, and mixing them with a lot of alcohol or other depressant drugs can be life threatening. My roommate does this a lot and I tell him often that he needs to be careful that he does not overdo it....otherwise, he might not wake up one day. I have also warned him a few times when he gets too manic and angry, that on less meds, he might go off the deep end and do something he will seriously regret, losing his job or ability to see his kids. He laughs it all off, and plans to get away w/ less meds as long as he can. He lives in an alternate reality and thinks he has things under control, and cannot see what is really going on. He gets his old prescription refilled by his primary care dr (which isn't legal in NY) and refuses to see a psychiatrist for revaluation of his condition and meds...or to get back into therapy. I consider him a potential walking time bomb and hope that he can beat the odds as he hopes to. I can only try talking to him every now and then, and if things get bad for him, I will call 911 and have him sent to the hospital.

This is a common thing with people w/ BPD, and it sounds like it could be what is going on w/ your step son....at least his behavior and alcohol/ drug use seems to sound like that to me. He needs help now, otherwise he could do something to seriously injure himself or someone else. It sounds like either his meds don't work well for him or that he is not taking them as much as he should be. Do you know if he is really taking them at the correct dose? Have you tried talking to him about seeing his psychiatrist or getting a new one, since he has moved? Hopefully he will do that and have his meds adjusted, or he will start taking them properly. He may not agree to get help, and you may have to wait until things get worse before you can have him sent to the hospital, so that he can get reevaluated and put on the proper meds. This is what has happened with my cousin a few times, and it has been worse each time. I would be careful and would not disregard any of his threats. Especially anything he threatens more than once. He may work himself up to doing something dangerous that he will regret later.....which in his manic or depressed state, he will not have the presence of mind to stop himself from doing. I would definitely look into what the laws are for hospitalizing someone for BPD in your area, just in case things get worse and you have an emergency situation. Self harming, w/ a lot of blood everywhere, can be interpreted as a suicide attempt, and that is basis for hospitalization at the time of the injury. You also may be able to call the police if he becomes too threatening or violent, and if you know he is off of his meds and tell the police that, they will likely take him to the hospital immediately (at least that is what they do here in NYC). If he is unwilling to see a doctor and get help, unfortunately, an emergency is the only other way he is going to get help.

It is a really difficult situation, and I really hope things work out for you all and get better soon.
Thank you for this response, I appreciate all the help and knowledge about this that I am getting! I know it must be hard for you as well going through the same thing we are. I believe he is taking his meds at the dosage they prescribed but I can't be 100% because I don't see him taking it. I just have a feeling that this medicine is not working for him and I know that since he has moved in here he hasn't seen a psychiatrist or talked to one. He did go back to Georgia last summer to help his wife when she had a few operations and said he went back to all his doctors. I know when he first came a few years ago I looked up his medicines and some of them said not to take alcohol with them but that didn't stop him from drinking back then. He came this time under the condition that he couldn't drink any alcohol because when he did it was 10x worst. so he agree'd until the fight with his dad over getting his way he decided to leave the house and go to the bar and didn't come back until the next day. Of course we told him back then we didn't want him drinking so he would sneak it in his room, when he left to help his wife I cleaned his room and pulled out a big garbage back full of Vodka bottles and I assume he drank straight vodka because you cannot smell that on his breath but we knew from his actions.

It seems if everything doesn't go his way then he loses control, even talking to him, like if I said that he has to go get help it may turn into a fight since he is a manipulator and doesn't want to know your point of view but wants to change your point of view to only see his and when that doesn't work he gets angry. Doesn't always get angry but it can change into anger.

I think the hardest part is that he is 44 years old, you can't control someone 44 years old like you can a kid, and he is a big guy and over weight. Does your cousin do things anyways after you ask him not to do that? OR say like I will ask him to please put your dishes in the sink but we find anywhere he has been the glass he used will sit there and it will sit forever until we pick it up unless we keep telling him to go get your glass and put it in the sink. I was just wondering if that was part of Bi-polar or just a thing that he does because he is lazy or just doesn't want to do things. Like throwing something in the garbage and he will miss the can and just walk away and not pick it up. Is that part of Bi-polar or does the medicine make him too lazy to do it?

Hi, I think that it is hard to tell exactly why your step son may be doing those things. It's likely a combo of a few factors. I can say that not all bipolar people are messy, inconsiderate or manipulative. Many are the opposite of that, usually. My roommate and cousin are both very neat and clean, but that could be because they have OCD as well.

The uncooperative and belligerent attitude that your step son has could be from his BPD, if he is perceiving that "everyone is against him," he may be acting out in response to that belief. It could cause angry outbursts or refusal to not make a mess in the house. If his medicine isn't working, or he isn't taking enough, he's more likely to feel that way. He could also feel overwhelmed and depressed, and not "want to be bothered" with anything. He could be messy because of tiredness from meds, especially Depakote or lithium, but not enough to be doing it to the degree that you mentioned. I know a few people on those meds and it does not make them slobs, just slow and tired. I also don't think it would make him uncooperative or angry. His behavior could just be due to his personality. I think it is likely due to a lack of proper treatment for his condition.

For example, when my roommate takes his meds as prescribed, he is much less likely to get angry and to act out when things aren't going his way. He is very pleasant, caring, co operative and reasonable. Since he has gone from taking 2 pills a day, to half a pill a day... plus alcohol and marijuana, his attitude has changed a lot. On less meds, he takes things personally, and sometimes believes that people are judging, criticizing or hate him....when they are only making a neutral statement or doing something that has absoloutely nothing to do with him. I am careful when discussing things with him because he can get offended easily. I frequently have to tell him that I am not accusing him of anything, I am just talking about something that I have observed as a problem and need to figure out how to fix it. I often have to remind myself that everyone's perception of the world is very different than mine, and that his reality is especially different because he is not taking enough medicine AND the alcohol makes him angrier. I've seen him off and on both alcohol and marijuana.....and notice that we get along much better when he's only smoking marijuana. On less meds, he also says he is overwhelmed with things and "just can't be bothered" often....with relationships or doing things for himself or others that would normally be seen as necessary or important. He also seems to care less about things and people in general.

It's also possible that your step son could be forgetful of things he's asked to do because the meds could be affecting his memory and cognition. Both my cousin and roommate have memory problems on meds. My cousin is on a few heavy meds and he is so affected by it, that he speaks very slowly and forgets things in mid conversation. It is very difficult for him.

From what you've said, it sounds like your step son isn't seeing his psychiatrist regularly enough. People I know go once a month, unless they are stable, and then its every 3 months. All of them go to psychotherapy once a week. As far as being able to tell if he is taking his meds properly, that's very difficult. The only way to know is to see how much he should be taking, and check the bottle every so often. And that's only if you see him taking it. He could be throwing them out if he knows you are paying attention. My roommate lies about what he should be taking. I see him take meds most every day.....but only a half pill. Because I knew him when he took 2 pills a day, I can tell the difference just by being around him. If he hasn't taken any yet, he's a lot more energetic and says a lot more funny nonsensical stuff than usual. I don't mention his lack of meds often, because I cannot tell him what to do. It is his right to live as he chooses. But, I don't put up with threatening behavior and will tell him when he is becoming too manic. On one occasion, he was threatening me, screaming a lot, slamming things around for half an hour, and just wouldn't calm down....I told him I would call the police if he didn't stop. That shut him down right away and he's never done it again. His exes had called the police on him before, and he knows he could be taken either to jail or the hospital. Also in NY, the police make the violent or threatening person leave the house, if they are not arrested or taken to the hospital. When I notice that my roommate is particularly manic and becoming obnoxious, I always ask if he has taken (what he refers to as) his "fruit loops medicine" yet. He will laugh and then he usually takes it. I've also talked to him after episodes he's had.....the next day after he's calmed down, and before he's had any alcohol. I say that I've noticed that his meds may not be working so well for him anymore and that he may not be aware of it, but he seems to not be in control of things as much as he was before....and he should get it checked out by a dr. I also remind him that he should be careful because he might do something to jeopardize good situations he has in life now...very good job, good relationships w/ kids' mom and kids, etc. He still has not gone to see a psychiatrist in years and says he doesn't want to go. He probably won't go unless his primary care dr makes him go, in order to get his medication refilled. But, I think I help him to be aware of when things are getting out of hand, as he seems to reel himself in for a little while after. Perhaps some of these strategies might help you with your step son.

I have seen that people are only going to get help and follow treatment plans when they want to. They cannot be forced into doing anything...at any age. My roommate has been doing that and has been getting away w/ it for years. He is lucky I guess. My cousin, who is 40 and has worse BPD, has been through several bad episodes since he was a teen. He has been on many different meds and taken himself off of them a few times for different reasons. He's also tried a lot of meds that didn't work. Each time, he has had a major episode and ended up in the hospital. Most of the time he's stayed there 3 or 4 weeks. He is more compliant with treatment now, and is hyper aware of his mental state, because he doesn't want to go to the hospital again. The doctors saw that each episode was worse than the last, and said that he might not be able to come out of the hospital the next time he has one. So, he is basically scared into compliance.

Hopefully it won't come to that with your step son....and hopefully some of this info will give you some ideas on how to handle him. Sorry it was so long! Good luck!

As @MC1Rcat has pointed out out, medications are horrible for bipolar. Lithium just turns people into zombie behavior. They also suffer from depression life-long. l was surprised to learn of that. Can they be compulsive liars, yup, they can. It's not so much a mean thing, it's just easy for them to fall into as a habit. I lived 18 years with one. Their marriages almost always end up in divorce. Medications aren't taken, because the manic stage makes them feel invincible. Manic stage kept my SO thinking he could just sleep 3 hours nite, until he crashed and burned. Requires a lot of patience to get thru and work things out with them.

I was just wondering if there are any people on here diagnosed with Bi-polar that can help me with some questions I have.
My step son has come to live with us and he is Bi-polar 3 I believe, he was an addict and an alcoholic.
His room is always a disaster, he will drop things and not bother to pick them up and just walk away, he leaves lights on, sometimes the door is left open in -7 degree weather, He has gotten mad because he didn't get his way and went screaming after his dad and almost hit him, he cut himself up where there was blood all over in pools in the garage one night, he got mad last night and said he will burn my house down, I think it was just letting off steam but who knows? He is not generally a violent person but those times of fits can be and we are not sure what will happen. Are these all traits of bi-polar or are they bi-polar and laziness? or bad habits too? He seems to not understand our reasoning but always tries to put his reasoning in instead or blame us for not understanding why he does things.
He has gone to AA and has some meds for Bi-polar and also hasn't used except THC gummies. He doesn't drink anymore unless he sneaks it like before and we just don't see it. So my question is....if you are bi-polar what have you done to help it? I know he has been on meds but still has break through fits that usually happens when he doesn't get his way. He is almost 44 years old. Any suggestions on what to do? There is so much more but I am trying to keep this short. Any help is appreciated!

Hey there, my friend (yes im still here) As you probably remember among gazillion comorbid i am also Bipolar (or as it was known in my time Manic depression ) And as i belive i said to you before reg youre step son he most likely has way more than he`s now known Diagnosis & should really be evaluated to find out which so he can get the proper help he needs.

Now from my point of view most of he`s current behaviour has diddly to do with him being bipolar. What i do recognise is a (now clean and dry and that's excellent) behaviour of an addict with many undiagnosed yet to be found diagnosis, who is also spoiled and knows he can do whatever he wants even to he`s parents that so kindly offer a place to live and try there best too take care of him. I dont care whether he is a X Addict, have loads of diagnosis etc.... NON of that gives him the right to treat either youre husband or youre self (even as a stepmother) And he needs to be told to either behave, respect, and be greatfull for the suport and roof over he`s head etc... Other words he neds to either follow the rules under youre roof and towards both of you. And if he can't or dont want to then i have to agree that he needs to get professional help for all he`s problems like it or not. Throw him out on the street is NOT what i would suggest but yes have him committed as the last step should every other option fail. We both know you have a heart of gold but sadly, you or youre husband dont help him by curling him like you have done for a long time.

Short answer
He needs professional help my friend with or without he´s consent and NOONE can blame ether you or youre husband for taking this step you have both tried and sticked around way longer than many others would do in the same situation & neither you or youre husband or youre son will be helped by this. And he needs help to STOP feeling sorry for himself all the time and understand that that won't help him getting better. He needs to also understand that he needs to want to get better himself and be willing to put in the effort to do this and then accept the help given.

And lastly STOP hiding behind all he`s diagnosis and other problems (im speaking from my own experiences and i have also hidden behind my diagnosis when i was younger " i have diagnosis, it's not my fault, Others have to change not me i cant because i have diagnosis etc...) + in he`s case add addiction that of course haven't helped so we all need to take pity and accept him as he is . NO NON of this gives him the right to treat you and husband / he`s X wife in the way he has and still gets away with.

If remember right this is the son with also other horrible medical problems on top of all this and im deeply sorry to read that things have continued to go down the wrong way. And he most definitely needs professional help with all his problems.

Last edited:
This is Bipolar

Symptoms - Bipolar disorder

Symptoms - bipolar disorder​

Bipolar disorder is characterised by extreme mood swings. These can range from extreme highs (mania) to extreme lows (depression).
Episodes of mania and depression often last for several days or longer.

Depression​

During a period of depression, your symptoms may include:
  • feeling sad, hopeless or irritable most of the time
  • lacking energy
  • difficulty concentrating and remembering things
  • loss of interest in everyday activities
  • feelings of emptiness or worthlessness
  • feelings of guilt and despair
  • feeling pessimistic about everything
  • self-doubt
  • being delusional, having hallucinations and disturbed or illogical thinking
  • lack of appetite
  • difficulty sleeping
  • waking up early
  • suicidal thoughts

Mania​

The manic phase of bipolar disorder may include:
  • feeling very happy, elated or overjoyed
  • talking very quickly
  • feeling full of energy
  • feeling self-important
  • feeling full of great new ideas and having important plans
  • being easily distracted
  • being easily irritated or agitated
  • being delusional, having hallucinations and disturbed or illogical thinking
  • not feeling like sleeping
  • doing things that often have disastrous consequences – such as spending large sums of money on expensive and sometimes unaffordable items
  • making decisions or saying things that are out of character and that others see as being risky or harmful

Patterns of depression and mania​

If you have bipolar disorder, you may have episodes of depression more regularly than episodes of mania, or vice versa.
Between episodes of depression and mania, you may sometimes have periods where you have a "normal" mood.
The patterns are not always the same and some people may experience:
  • rapid cycling – where a person with bipolar disorder repeatedly swings from a high to a low phase quickly
  • mixed state – where a person with bipolar disorder experiences symptoms of depression and mania together; for example, overactivity with a depressed mood
If your mood swings last a long time but are not severe enough to be classed as bipolar disorder, you may be diagnosed with a mild form of bipolar disorder called cyclothymia.

Living with bipolar disorder​

Bipolar disorder is a condition of extremes. A person with bipolar disorder may be unaware they're in the manic phase.
After the episode is over, they may be shocked at their behaviour. But at the time, they may believe other people are being negative or unhelpful.
Some people with bipolar disorder have more frequent and severe episodes than others.
The extreme nature of the condition means staying in a job may be difficult and relationships may become strained. There's also an increased risk of suicide.
During episodes of mania and depression, someone with bipolar disorder may experience strange sensations, such as seeing, hearing or smelling things that are not there (hallucinations).
They may also believe things that seem irrational to other people (delusions). These types of symptoms are known as psychosis or a psychotic episode.

AND as always and what i say all the time in this matters its highly individual and no one can be compared to others with same diagnose.

Last edited:
Hi, I think that it is hard to tell exactly why your step son may be doing those things. It's likely a combo of a few factors. I can say that not all bipolar people are messy, inconsiderate or manipulative. Many are the opposite of that, usually. My roommate and cousin are both very neat and clean, but that could be because they have OCD as well.

The uncooperative and belligerent attitude that your step son has could be from his BPD, if he is perceiving that "everyone is against him," he may be acting out in response to that belief. It could cause angry outbursts or refusal to not make a mess in the house. If his medicine isn't working, or he isn't taking enough, he's more likely to feel that way. He could also feel overwhelmed and depressed, and not "want to be bothered" with anything. He could be messy because of tiredness from meds, especially Depakote or lithium, but not enough to be doing it to the degree that you mentioned. I know a few people on those meds and it does not make them slobs, just slow and tired. I also don't think it would make him uncooperative or angry. His behavior could just be due to his personality. I think it is likely due to a lack of proper treatment for his condition.

For example, when my roommate takes his meds as prescribed, he is much less likely to get angry and to act out when things aren't going his way. He is very pleasant, caring, co operative and reasonable. Since he has gone from taking 2 pills a day, to half a pill a day... plus alcohol and marijuana, his attitude has changed a lot. On less meds, he takes things personally, and sometimes believes that people are judging, criticizing or hate him....when they are only making a neutral statement or doing something that has absoloutely nothing to do with him. I am careful when discussing things with him because he can get offended easily. I frequently have to tell him that I am not accusing him of anything, I am just talking about something that I have observed as a problem and need to figure out how to fix it. I often have to remind myself that everyone's perception of the world is very different than mine, and that his reality is especially different because he is not taking enough medicine AND the alcohol makes him angrier. I've seen him off and on both alcohol and marijuana.....and notice that we get along much better when he's only smoking marijuana. On less meds, he also says he is overwhelmed with things and "just can't be bothered" often....with relationships or doing things for himself or others that would normally be seen as necessary or important. He also seems to care less about things and people in general.

It's also possible that your step son could be forgetful of things he's asked to do because the meds could be affecting his memory and cognition. Both my cousin and roommate have memory problems on meds. My cousin is on a few heavy meds and he is so affected by it, that he speaks very slowly and forgets things in mid conversation. It is very difficult for him.

From what you've said, it sounds like your step son isn't seeing his psychiatrist regularly enough. People I know go once a month, unless they are stable, and then its every 3 months. All of them go to psychotherapy once a week. As far as being able to tell if he is taking his meds properly, that's very difficult. The only way to know is to see how much he should be taking, and check the bottle every so often. And that's only if you see him taking it. He could be throwing them out if he knows you are paying attention. My roommate lies about what he should be taking. I see him take meds most every day.....but only a half pill. Because I knew him when he took 2 pills a day, I can tell the difference just by being around him. If he hasn't taken any yet, he's a lot more energetic and says a lot more funny nonsensical stuff than usual. I don't mention his lack of meds often, because I cannot tell him what to do. It is his right to live as he chooses. But, I don't put up with threatening behavior and will tell him when he is becoming too manic. On one occasion, he was threatening me, screaming a lot, slamming things around for half an hour, and just wouldn't calm down....I told him I would call the police if he didn't stop. That shut him down right away and he's never done it again. His exes had called the police on him before, and he knows he could be taken either to jail or the hospital. Also in NY, the police make the violent or threatening person leave the house, if they are not arrested or taken to the hospital. When I notice that my roommate is particularly manic and becoming obnoxious, I always ask if he has taken (what he refers to as) his "fruit loops medicine" yet. He will laugh and then he usually takes it. I've also talked to him after episodes he's had.....the next day after he's calmed down, and before he's had any alcohol. I say that I've noticed that his meds may not be working so well for him anymore and that he may not be aware of it, but he seems to not be in control of things as much as he was before....and he should get it checked out by a dr. I also remind him that he should be careful because he might do something to jeopardize good situations he has in life now...very good job, good relationships w/ kids' mom and kids, etc. He still has not gone to see a psychiatrist in years and says he doesn't want to go. He probably won't go unless his primary care dr makes him go, in order to get his medication refilled. But, I think I help him to be aware of when things are getting out of hand, as he seems to reel himself in for a little while after. Perhaps some of these strategies might help you with your step son.

I have seen that people are only going to get help and follow treatment plans when they want to. They cannot be forced into doing anything...at any age. My roommate has been doing that and has been getting away w/ it for years. He is lucky I guess. My cousin, who is 40 and has worse BPD, has been through several bad episodes since he was a teen. He has been on many different meds and taken himself off of them a few times for different reasons. He's also tried a lot of meds that didn't work. Each time, he has had a major episode and ended up in the hospital. Most of the time he's stayed there 3 or 4 weeks. He is more compliant with treatment now, and is hyper aware of his mental state, because he doesn't want to go to the hospital again. The doctors saw that each episode was worse than the last, and said that he might not be able to come out of the hospital the next time he has one. So, he is basically scared into compliance.

Hopefully it won't come to that with your step son....and hopefully some of this info will give you some ideas on how to handle him. Sorry it was so long! Good luck!
yes it was a little long but I appreciated every word and situation presented! It helps A LOT! Thank you!
I see quite a lot of similarities in what you have said. When people just write one little paragraph, they don't get into the main stuff you can relate too although it still helps.
One question (well maybe more after this one lol) if the medication turns them into Zombies and makes them forget things and be tired all the time, how do they even function or change their behavior other than just Zombie them out? How do they ever live a normal life? Does your cousin go to work? or is he on disability?

Just out of curiosity, how is it that he came to live with you? and doesn't it effect you mentally to have to deal with that?
I have 5 grown kids and one has mild Asperger's, avoidant personality disorder and high anxiety. Going through that was hard until we all really figured it out and understood things about it. His real change came after he lived with his younger brother, they went in halves on the rent. With me I understood why he did things the way he did or wanted to avoid people and not go into places and do things himself. His brother wouldn't let him get away with that and would call him on it. I can see in some ways I was an enabler because I would go and do things for him that I didn't think he could do. Covid was another reason he changed because he knew without me his life would be difficult so he started going to the doctor's himself so I didn't have to be around places where covid may be. which helped him in the way that he now knew that he could do this. It made him really nervous and the bad part about that is he has a bad colon which can bleed so much that he almost bled out and once it starts its hard to get it back under control. Having anxiety sets that off.
Being a mother I want to help, but I now realize that by helping so much I was keeping him in the same situation with him never even trying because I would just do it for him.
I don't want this to go that way also with my step son, he has never had to deal with things on his own and want to get better. At this point he understands that he is hard to live with but it is our fault that we can't live like this because we don't understand him. He wants to keep the same life only with us understanding him and his ways and be okay with that. Do you think your cousin had those feelings also? Is your cousin still drinking alcohol?
Alcohol with my step son was out of control, he was an alcoholic so when he drank he got drunk and stupid. Fall over drunk and the next day he would just sleep all day maybe get up around 4. At least right now he understands he can't bring alcohol into the house or he is out. but he still uses the THC gummies but instead of using them to take the edge off he will use them to get high because he was a drug addict also. he can't control those things.
How do you cope yourself with all of that?

Hey there, my friend (yes im still here) As you probably remember among gazillion comorbid i am also Bipolar (or as it was known in my time Manic depression ) And as i belive i said to you before reg youre step son he most likely has way more than he`s now known Diagnosis & should really be evaluated to find out which so he can get the proper help he needs.

Now from my point of view most of he`s current behaviour has diddly to do with him being bipolar. What i do recognise is a (now clean and dry and that's excellent) behaviour of an addict with many undiagnosed yet to be found diagnosis, who is also spoiled and knows he can do whatever he wants even to he`s parents that so kindly offer a place to live and try there besta X take care of him. I dont care whether he is a X Addict, have loads of diagnosis etc.... NON of that gives him the right to treat either youre husband or youre self (even as a stepmother) And he needs to be told to either behave, respect, and be greatfull for the suport and roof over he`s head etc... Other words he neds to either follow the rules under youre roof and towards both of you. And if he can't or dont want to then i have to agree that he needs to get professional help for all he`s problems like it or not. Throw him out on the street is NOT what i would suggest but yes have him committed as the last step should every other option fail. We both know you have a heart of gold but sadly, you or youre husband dont help him by curling him like you have done for a long time.

Short answer
He needs professional help my friend with or without he´s consent and NOONE can blame ether you or youre husband for taking this step you have both tried and sticked around way longer than many others would do in the same situation & neither you or youre husband or youre son will be helped by this. And he needs help to STOP feeling sorry for himself all the time and understand that that won't help him getting better. He needs to also understand that he needs to want to get better himself and be willing to put in the effort to do this and then accept the help given.

And lastly STOP hiding behind all he`s diagnosis and other problems (im speaking from my own experiences and i have also hidden behind my diagnosis when i was younger " i have diagnosis, it's not my fault, Others have to change not me i cant because i have diagnosis etc...) + in he`s case add addiction that of course haven't helped so we all need to take pity and accept him as he is . NO NON of this gives him the right to treat you and husband / he`s X wife in the way he has and still gets away with.

If remember right this is the son with also other horrible medical problems on top of all this and im deeply sorry to read that things have continued to go down the wrong way. And he most definitely needs professional help with all his problems.
Hi SARAH!!!! So glad to get back in touch with you, I hadn't heard back or maybe that was my fault, but missed talking with you! Thank you for posting this for me! This isn't my son with the Asperger's, he has really changed a lot for the better! He has been a perfect son lately.
This is my step son that has come to live with us for a few years now that has the bi-polar and addictions.
I have to take my mom to the grocery store soon but maybe when I get back we can go on the personal chat again. Thank you for this info, I appreciate it.

New Threads

Top Bottom