• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bepeeping appliances and other unnecessarily loud things.

We have toaster that beeps 5 times after it finishes and pops the toast up. My wife thinks it's funny that, when it gets close to done, I wait by the toaster with my hand on the electrical cord, so I can unplug it the second it starts to beep.

It's old now, and the beeper works less than half the time. The first time it didn't beep, my son looked at me and said, "Did you take the speaker out?" I didn't, but I wish I'd thought of that.

Our fridge beeps if the door is left open too long. If I'm getting a lot of stuff out or putting a lot of stuff in, I'll close it and re-open it every minute or so, just so I don't have to hear the beep.

With so much automation I'm just grateful that I don't have any device that says "Danger, Will Robinson. Danger!" :eek:

Copyright issues, no doubt. :cool:

I'm ok with my beeping car though. It reacts faster to potential hazards than I can. That's a fact.

Last edited:
I have more issues with repetitive loud noises than just loud noises in general, but I work in a lab and there are a LOT of machines around here that beep or alarm constantly and the people that are "supposed" to respond to said beeps and alarms act like they can't hear them. That's when I start yelling.

Constantly ringing phones, car turn signal clicks (I'm very particular when buying a car to test the sound of the turn signal...it's a deciding factor on whether or not I buy a particular model or not), if a road is worn and bumpy and the bumps are sequential, I will typically move over in the left lane (where, in most US States, it is illegal to drive in for long periods of time), I have dogs, but squeaking dog toys are the worst if it goes on for more than five minutes I will take them away (I'm a mean dog mom, but in all fairness, I don't buy them the squeaky-type toys, their aunt does), high heels on hard floors, club-type music (the thumpa-thumpa kind), and crying kids/babies of ANY kind.

I have more issues with repetitive loud noises than just loud noises in general, but I work in a lab and there are a LOT of machines around here that beep or alarm constantly and the people that are "supposed" to respond to said beeps and alarms act like they can't hear them. That's when I start yelling.

Reminds me of the maintenance crew in my apartment complex. They always out there doing something, the good news. The bad news is that they all toot around in golf carts that beep very loudly when backing up. Standard NHTSA safety protocols.

The thing is, the pitch of their beep is very close to the sound of our unit's hard-wired smoke detectors. Not only annoying, but they spook me momentarily. But a smoke detector won't likely just stop after a few seconds.

Reminds me of the maintenance crew in my apartment complex. They always out there doing something, the good news. The bad news is that they all toot around in golf carts that beep very loudly when backing up. Standard NHTSA safety protocols.

The thing is, the pitch of their beep is very close to the sound of our unit's hard-wired smoke detectors. Not only annoying, but they spook me momentarily. But a smoke detector won't likely just stop after a few seconds.
Same thing with delivery trucks here! Once they are here and parked...why is the beeping still happening? Turn the stupid truck off and deliver! Drives me NUTS!

Same thing with delivery trucks here! Once they are here and parked...why is the beeping still happening? Turn the stupid truck off and deliver! Drives me NUTS!

Safety purposes- backing up warning. More for pedestrians than other vehicles, and particularly aimed at children oblivious to oncoming traffic. Even the last sports car I owned had that feature. Go figure.

With such a feature automatically happening once the vehicle is put into reverse, even if they don't actually move.

Of course the nifty backup camera and LCD screen I can look at on my new car's dashboard only goes so far in avoiding oblivious pedestrians with their nose buried in their mobile device. At least it doesn't beep in reverse!

Last edited:
Safety purposes- backing up warning. More for pedestrians than other vehicles, and particularly aimed at children oblivious to oncoming traffic. Even the last sports car I owned had that feature. Go figure.

With such a feature automatically happening once the vehicle is put into reverse, even if they don't actually move.

Of course the nifty backup camera and LCD screen I can look at on my dashboard only goes so far in avoiding oblivious pedestrians with their nose buried in their mobile device.
If the trash guys are picking up in the morning and they are just sitting there with the beeping, I'm bad about telling them to put it in park so the beeping will stop (they tend to give me the evil eye, but they do it). I get the backing up thing, but sitting there with their foot on the brake because they are too lazy to shift to park is what gets me because they are going to have to shift out of reverse to drive eventually anyway. It's probably more dangerous sitting there on the brakes in reverse with a huge dumpster attached to the back of their truck than to just put it in park. Same with delivery drivers...one slip of the foot and someone may not get squished, but someone's car probably will. It might be my lack of empathy (and here's a horrible Asper moment), but I'd rather my co-workers (maybe not all, but most) get hit by a driver versus my car. I'm the one that has to pay my insurance deductible to get my car fixed. If they get hurt, it's no money out of pocket (I tend to say..."here's a horrible Asper moment" when I'm about to say something an NT would consider nasty like it's an excuse or something...darn that blatant honesty).

But I completely understand because my car has the camera too and nine times out of ten, when someone around me does something stupid, it's because they have a phone in hand. If they have an old car, I sort of understand it (although I don't because it is illegal to use your phone while driving unless hands-free at least in the States), but just about most cars made after 2012 probably has bluetooth and therefore they can talk hands free anyway. My mother is the worst about it because she doesn't want to "talk" to her car...she'd rather look away to push buttons. I don't claim to be from her gene pool.

My mother is the worst about it because she doesn't want to "talk" to her car...she'd rather look away to push buttons. I don't claim to be from her gene pool.

LOL. I keep the Bluetooth capability in my car disabled. Huge security issues given that's how an external hacker can compromise your car's operating system. I don't want to talk or be talked to by my car either. I'll settle for those dashboard lights and beeps. ;)

I also keep my keyless entry fob in a Faraday Pouch when not using it to prevent hackers from decoding my signal and stealing my car while it's parked somewhere. Those voice commands may be a great safety feature, but only if you maintain possession of your car from malicious mischief and the latest generation of car thieves.

But then I have numerous controls on my steering column or ones in my center console that can be activated without taking my eyes completely off the road. Most of the time it's my "lane keep assist" that beeps me and flashes an idiot light icon on the dashboard. As long as I don't have to fumble with anything and take my eyes completely off the road I'm ok with such things.

Last edited:

Of course the nifty backup camera and LCD screen I can look at on my new car's dashboard only goes so far in avoiding oblivious pedestrians with their nose buried in their mobile device. At least it doesn't beep in reverse!

Speaking of back up alarms, I have installed "politically correct alarms". When the vehicle is put in reverse, a man's voice says "caution, vehicle is backing up". After a short pause, it says the same thing in a women's voice and alternates back and forth. However, it is still annoying.

I don't keep anything on my phone that would warrant security problems, so I'm not too worried about it, but I also work in IT, so I've got the devices I am worried about locked down tighter than all get out, but I also live in an area where hacker theft isn't a prevalent thing, so again, not too worried. If I move somewhere else (out of redneck central) my views will definitely change though!

My mother is also the type the texts, talks, eats, drinks, messes with the radio, watches other people in other cars, looks in store windows, and generally doesn't pay attention to the road anyway. How she hasn't killed anyone is beyond me, but she has had several serious wrecks, just surprisingly none of them has been her fault (although, if she were paying better attention, they probably could have been prevented). We don't speak anymore, but I rarely would ride in a car with her when I did. Again, might be the Asperness, but if I go somewhere with ANYONE, either I drive, or I don't go 99% of the time. I am more comfortable if I have control.

I just typically use driving as an excuse to not talk on the phone.

Speaking of back up alarms, I have installed "politically correct alarms". When the vehicle is put in reverse, a man's voice says "caution, vehicle is backing up". After a short pause, it says the same thing in a women's voice and alternates back and forth. However, it is still annoying.

I could go for Robocop shouting "Citizen- back away from the vehicle!" :p

People talking on mobile phones on the train. Why do they talk so LOUD? AND why do they think it's OK to pollute the silence with their tedious work related blah. Please don't.

At a lot of newer gas stations in my area, a little mini infomercial starts playing when you pump your gas. They're LOUD and they make me irrationally angry. Most of the time, there's a mute button, but if other pumps are in use, you can totally hear the other infomercials playing. I get very stressed out at being subjected to deliberate audio of someone else's choosing. It's such an invasion of my personal space

At a lot of newer gas stations in my area, a little mini infomercial starts playing when you pump your gas. They're LOUD and they make me irrationally angry. Most of the time, there's a mute button, but if other pumps are in use, you can totally hear the other infomercials playing. I get very stressed out at being subjected to deliberate audio of someone else's choosing. It's such an invasion of my personal space
Ugh, never experienced this, but I would HATE it. Captive audience. I would take earplugs, or headphones to play my music to drown out the sound of the commercial.
Is there no sanctuary left, nowhere where you can go without being subjected to adverts/commercials??

Ugh, never experienced this, but I would HATE it. Captive audience. I would take earplugs, or headphones to play my music to drown out the sound of the commercial.
Is there no sanctuary left, nowhere where you can go without being subjected to adverts/commercials??
public toilets

My wife and I are getting a little older, so we spend most evenings at home watching TV. However, 10 to 15 minutes of every hour are commercials. I hate that I have to pay big bucks for cable TV and still have to watch commercials. So we don't watch them. I record everything ahead of time and fast forward through commercials. Plus we can watch shows when we want and pause for breaks.

My wife and I are getting a little older, so we spend most evenings at home watching TV. However, 10 to 15 minutes of every hour are commercials. I hate that I have to pay big bucks for cable TV and still have to watch commercials. So we don't watch them. I record everything ahead of time and fast forward through commercials. Plus we can watch shows when we want and pause for breaks.
I don't watch TV in real time either, for this very reason.

New Threads

Top Bottom