• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Believing that objects can talk to me.

DragonKid♾

This happens a lot. I see objects as alive. I can talk to them in my head and they talk back. I have relationships with them. I told my parents and it didn’t go well. They told me that objects can’t really talk to me and I need to focus on reality. I can’t convince myself they don’t. Am I crazy? Does this mean I’m delusional. They said it could be a coping mechanism for my autism. That’s why I’m asking here. Real conversation is so hard because of nonverbal cues and inability to read people, so I pretend to talk to objects. I need to learn how to talk to real people. But why can’t I have both? Why can’t I form friendships with people and objects? Or am I trying to have my cake and eat it too. They said that they understood the concept of having sentimental value attached to an object, but that’s not what this is for me. I can talk to staplers and necklaces and spoons, all of which I had no prior connection to. Is this harmful? Will I become a hoarder? I do have difficulty throwing things out because I feel bad for them. But I also don’t buy much. I don’t believe in going to the mall and shopping for new clothes if I have clothes at home. I don’t like buying new stuff, it feels like betraying the stuff I have. I want to convince my parents that it isn’t harmful. But I can barely convince myself. If it is harmful, how do I stop it? I don’t want it to stop. I don’t want the objects around me to go silent and uncommunicative. One time an air purifier at my school was able to calm me down during a panic attack/meltdown. Objects help me like that sometimes. But should I stop? Will I hurt myself?

Is this troublesome to you? Do you think hat it's a fantasy world and that it provides your mind perhaps distraction? Do you see this as a coping skill? Have you tried to cultivate friends here and IRL? Do you wish to talk about this more? Are the voices what you think they may say? Or do you hear actual voices in your head? Anyways, everybody here truly wants to support you, and it's great you are here sorting this out.

Last edited:
I don’t know. It could be a fantasy world. But I don’t personally think so. But maybe I’m just convincing myself it’s not. I do want to try to get IRL friends. Since one of my interests is DND, I was thinking of going down to the games store on my bike and asking if they have groups for people my age. I do want friends, I swear. I personally don’t think it’s harmful, but everyone else seems to disagree. I don’t understand how it could hurt me. As for the voices… I don’t know. I know I have an overactive imagination, so it could be how I think they would respond. But it genuinely feels like they talk back in my head:

It only becomes harmful if they ask you to do something to harm yourself or others in any way. If you should ever feel distressed, then just ask your parents for an appointment with a therapist which will be way more useful than your parents l think. Unless your parents are therapists. If you ever feel that is happening, then you would need to go to emergency and explain this. I am not saying that will happen, l am just giving you a way to keep things in check, like a reality check. I think it's great you are checking around for friends. Or maybe even work part-time at game store. I had zero friends as a young person, however l did tons of art work which kept me busy. And l loved biking in the park. But these days, there are way less opportunities for young adults to get out and do physical activities. Do you have a community hall, sometimes they have open swim days. Or grab a basketball, find a court, and start shooting balls into a hoop, you may make friends that way. I use to bike to tennis courts and get invited to play with other people.

I understand this, @DragonKid♾.

Definitely important to assess if there is a danger here, and if there are voices that are either telling you to do things or are upsetting to you, that is important to notice and speak about with a professional.

Other than that though, what you describe sounds a lot like myself. Sure, human connections will be important throughout life, but I am deeply connected to many of my objects. Not in a sentimental way, like your parents noted, but in a friendly way. Some examples that come to mind for me are my daggers (a craft project that I make), my stuffed dragon Huxley, some of my actual knives and fidgets. Sometimes my clothing that is important to me, like my boots. Definitely, my car. I think about these things in a grateful and friendly way. Not exactly conversing with them, but sort of like you described, there is a bit of back-and-forth.

To me, it’s just one step up from the same thing that happens with animals. I also like to chat with birds and sometimes trees or other things growing in the forest. Any small creatures, or even large ones become a sort of friend figure for a few moments. I speak to them out loud, and can imagine what they might say back. As if they have personalities.

I have sort of experienced this with objects where they seem to have an emotional "element" to them... I think this could be related to how you are attached to them rather than just the object seemingly having a voice appear. I've never heard voices from objects myself but I do think that when you develop a strong attatchment to an object or find comfort in it sometimes it feels like they have a human element to them. I have this with blankets, kitchen items.

It sounds to me as though you are finding comfort in objects as you are struggling with your verbal communication but honestly if you feel you are worried or if it becomes uncomfortable or distressing to you then I would seek a professional.

- Hope that helps

It is a product of your imagination. People and animals have minds and feelings. Inanimate objects do not. But as long as you realize that, it isn't automatically bad. One of the functions of play is practice for life, and this sounds somewhat similar and also seems to provide some level of comfort and mental stimulation. And I think some on the spectrum engage a lot in this sort of thing. I know I did. But most people would probably see it as crazy/too weird so I would keep it to myself except if you come accross someone who plays similar mental scenerios. And you have to be able to put it aside when needed. If you ever got married for example, your spouse will not understand why you have to bring the stapler along. ;)

Ok, I'll assume that you are just casually speaking with these objects, and none are harmed. I don't see a problem with it. It could be, that the way you perceive these objects is so overwhelming to your conscious mind, that you project it as speech. Just a thought, you did say active imagination.
I was always told I lived in fantasy worlds. I didn't speak with objects, but to understand the world around me, I created one and used it to navigate the real one. Nobody understood, right? Of course I knew what was causal with other people, and what was just my imagination. But try explaining that?
So, know that I am at least on your side. Speak with objects. :)

There is knowing, and there is believing. Know the difference. Separate the two. If you're truly having difficulty discerning the two, then that may be a sign of schizophrenia, and you should consult your doctor. Nothing to be ashamed of. It can be treated.

There is knowing, and there is believing. Know the difference. Separate the two. If you're truly having difficulty discerning the two, then that may be a sign of schizophrenia, and you should consult your doctor. Nothing to be ashamed of. It can be treated.
I looked up the symptoms. A lot of them match up with symptoms of autism. How would you hypothetically know if you have both? Especially if your autism is quite noticeable and would explain a lot of behaviors.

I looked up the symptoms. A lot of them match up with symptoms of autism. How would you hypothetically know if you have both? Especially if your autism is quite noticeable and would explain a lot of behaviors.
That would be something to discuss with your doctor. I do know that both can co-exist.

That would be something to discuss with your doctor. I do know that both can co-exist.
I have a fear of going to a doctor or therapist. My first therapist alternated between treating me like I was completely normal and not giving me any accommodations (fidgets, a way to talk to her when I was verbally exhausted, etc) and treating me like I was a literal child and speaking to me as such. The office had fluorescent lights and a buzzing air conditioning. I had a bad meltdown and tore a hole in my shirt trying to find something to do with my hands. I didn’t come back after that. Next was a group therapy session where I couldn’t relate to anyone and didn’t participate in discussions. Everyone around me felt like they were recovering and it made me feel worse about the fact that I couldn’t make progress. That place was bad for me. Lastly there was an older woman I talked to over Zoom. She didn’t really understand me and I eventually quit those sessions. I don’t want to try and get someone else. Do I have to? What if I don’t? I don’t want to.

I have a fear of going to a doctor or therapist. My first therapist alternated between treating me like I was completely normal and not giving me any accommodations (fidgets, a way to talk to her when I was verbally exhausted, etc) and treating me like I was a literal child and speaking to me as such. The office had fluorescent lights and a buzzing air conditioning. I had a bad meltdown and tore a hole in my shirt trying to find something to do with my hands. I didn’t come back after that. Next was a group therapy session where I couldn’t relate to anyone and didn’t participate in discussions. Everyone around me felt like they were recovering and it made me feel worse about the fact that I couldn’t make progress. That place was bad for me. Lastly there was an older woman I talked to over Zoom. She didn’t really understand me and I eventually quit those sessions. I don’t want to try and get someone else. Do I have to? What if I don’t? I don’t want to.
Do understand, not every doctor and therapist is the same. They may have the same credentials behind their name, but they are all different people. Do understand that. You've had a few poor experiences. Part of seeing anyone professionally is communication. Although that seems pretty basic, it's not as easy as one may think. Finding someone receptive to your sensory needs is important. Furthermore, given some of the anxiety about seeing a doctor, often times it's the idea of "being judged" that upsets us, our communication and social difficulties, etc. I have found that writing things down, creating a Word file that you can print or send to him/her can be helpful. One, having that timeline of days or weeks beforehand to modify, to rewrite, to be accurate with the descriptions of your concerns is quite helpful. My first appointment, I had made a list of 170+ itemized things. :eek: So, we didn't have that kind of time to discuss all of them. Two, being able to have a copy in front of you to keep your brain on track during your appointment is quite helpful. Even if they don't read it before or during the appointment, they will likely read it afterwards when they have a bit more time, and if you have a second appointment, they can refer to it and discuss things further.

New Threads

Top Bottom