• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Awaiting assessment- first post here!

mysrhgirl19

Hey everyone!
My name is Sarah and I have a 16 month old son. He is getting an official assessment in the next week or two. I’ve always known he had such a unique and special character. As a baby he was not needy at all. He was happy to watch tv, sit in his bassinet. He honestly rarely cried and it wasn’t usually a normal cry- it sounded fake. He always hit his milestones on the late side. He is a happy boy, though.
There have been things that send red flags in my mind. I’ll make a list:
- he has never clapped his hands
-likes to rock
- stopped saying dada, now only has one word.
-doesn’t communicate through pointing, and doesn’t follow a point.
-doesn’t care to show someone toys
- loves to flip through the pages of a book, watch tv, or rotate toys in his hands
- he recently started rolling his arms a lot like in the game “patty cake.” I don’t know where he got that from.
- walks on tiptoes
Etc..
What do you guys think? Are these classic symptoms? What has your journey been and what are signs that alerted you to autism?

Last edited:
Hi Sarah

welcome to af.png

No one here is qualified to do an assessment, but there are signs that you may want to have him investigated further.

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

It's hard for any of us to really say for sure, but to some degree, yeah, some of those things sound like they could have to do with it. Rotating a toy over and over for instance might be an example of "stimming", which most people on the spectrum do ALOT, though it can take many forms. But it doesnt ALWAYS relate to that. Plenty of people who arent on the spectrum at all still stim even if they're not aware of it, though for them it's usually alot more... mild, than the things some of us here do.

Communication issues are also very common autism traits. But again, not ALWAYS. One thing that makes autism in general difficult to figure out is the wildly varying ways it can manifest.

On a side note, if you have questions about anything... it's really best to post it in the main section of the forums. Perhaps take this topic and remake it over in the general section.

New Threads

Top Bottom