• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic people with social anxiety - What are you afraid of or worried about?

What is the primary object of your social anxiety (what you're afraid of or worried might happen)?

• Being rejected

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Being excluded

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Being criticized

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • People thinking you're dumb

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Feeling like you don't belong

• Getting physically assaulted

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • People thinking you're weird, abnormal, or different

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Making a fool of yourself

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Something else

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • I'm unsure what I'm worried about or afraid of

• Total voters
I would have given you a friendly rating, but there is no rating under the posts anymore.
I can still see the thumbs up icon to do a mouseover with (in Firefox). That's when the options of ratings shows up.

Tricky sometimes depending on how sensitive your mouse may be set up. Then again deleting your browser's cache might get rid of an unforeseen problem.

I can still see the thumbs up icon to do a mouseover with (in Firefox). That's when the options of ratings shows up.

Tricky sometimes depending on how sensitive your mouse may be set up. Then again deleting your browser's cache might get rid of an unforeseen problem.
Silly me, of course, I forgot. Thanks for reminding me.

I am afraid of getting in trouble. I cannot understand what upsets people or makes them react strongly so I cannot prepare or control myself in a way to avoid it - I do not know what to avoid. When I was young I tried emulating the behaviors I saw and I did not get the same results. Something subtle eluded me and I would get yelled at.

As an adult the consequences could be severe so I try not to interact with strangers. I do not know the appropriate way to touch or show expression on my face or look at someone. When I was young guys I did not know would want to fight me for looking at them. I was afraid. I could never understand what made them act that way so I stopped looking at all.

Jokes are something that most people seem to understand, what you can joke about and how. If you get this wrong someone could attack you because they are offended or angry or maybe call the police because they think you made a threat. I cannot figure it out, I cannot see the pattern they use for what is acceptable.

With the risk and unpredictability I am afraid of any social encounters.

I am afraid of getting in trouble. I cannot understand what upsets people or makes them react strongly so I cannot prepare or control myself in a way to avoid it - I do not know what to avoid. When I was young I tried emulating the behaviors I saw and I did not get the same results. Something subtle eluded me and I would get yelled at.

As an adult the consequences could be severe so I try not to interact with strangers. I do not know the appropriate way to touch or show expression on my face or look at someone. When I was young guys I did not know would want to fight me for looking at them. I was afraid. I could never understand what made them act that way so I stopped looking at all.

Jokes are something that most people seem to understand, what you can joke about and how. If you get this wrong someone could attack you because they are offended or angry or maybe call the police because they think you made a threat. I cannot figure it out, I cannot see the pattern they use for what is acceptable.

With the risk and unpredictability I am afraid of any social encounters.
Yeah I can somewhat empathise with you.
I have similar struggles.
It's difficult.
I have got on the wrong side of people in communication and not been spoken to in a nice way. I have been yelled at, overwhelming.

Oddly enough, I find it easier with strangers than people I know.
I find that negative behaviour comes more from people I know.

The guys wanting fights must have been awful.

As for jokes, I struggle with "aggressive humour" especially when the person would say "It's a joke" I now know we both laugh if someone is genuinely joking at me.

I hope you can find resources online.
I am just learning now, how to "be with people so they know I am not ignoring them" yet not talk, because a conversation I had with a guy yesterday, upset him a bit, I think I will go over that conversation alone to see what I can learn.

New Threads

Top Bottom