• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic People in Film and TV

Steve Coogan remains my favourite. His portrayal of Alan Partridge is so apt when it comes to the spectrum. When I've watched Steve in interviews, it's very clear he's drawn a lot from who he is when it comes to AP.

Mind you, from that list - Paddy Considine plays the lead role in a chilling British thriller film called Dead Man's Shoes. It's all about an ex-army soldier (Paddy) who wreaks revenge on a group of drug dealers who bullied his mentally handicapped brother. It's a cult classic in the UK, and rightly so.

1oM07a_DqM0tTV3JKmNCIEg.png

Ed

Last edited:
Mind you, from that list - Paddy Considine plays the lead role in a chilling British thriller film called Dead Man's Shoes. It's all about an ex-army soldier (Paddy) who wreaks revenge on a group of drug dealers who bullied his mentally handicapped brother. It's a cult classic in the UK, and rightly so.

Ed
Damn. I only know Paddy from his supporting role in Hot Fuzz. Thanks for yet another good movie/show suggestion :)

April is Autism Awareness and Acceptance Month. Here are some great actors, writers and directors on the autism spectrum:-

https://www.cbr.com/autistic-people-film-tv-you-should-know/

Thank you for posting this list. When I finally found out David Byrne was on the autistic spectrum it made sense to me that Talking Heads has been a favorite band of mine for decades.

I appreciate and applaud any fellow autistic person who identifies as autistic in the public sphere. As such I appreciate Hannah Gadsby doing what she does. I don't find her funny at all though. Perhaps I should give her another try. I've only watched Nannette and have not watched her second comedy act. Is it worthwhile?

Last edited:
Johnny Lee Miller as Sherlock in Elementary, Neurodiversity is explicitly adressed in S2

Attachments

• JohnnyLeeMillerElementatyBoard.jpg
    JohnnyLeeMillerElementatyBoard.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 89
It makes me wonder who else in Hollywood might be on the spectrum who either don't know it or do and have not come yet. I have my own inklings if who they might be...

The ethics of attributing speculative diagnoses
Remains open to question.
Moreso with Actors than the charaters they portray.

Safe to say, that where People exemplify qualities
recognisable as worthy of Respect or Compassion,
or embody advantageous ways of viewing the world,
then the identification is a valid one.

If they're cool, there's likely to be a reason why.

gambit.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom