• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic Military Leaders

DavidS

I’ve always loved military history, and now I wonder and there’s probably way more of you who have studied this intensely, what great military leaders come to mind that were no doubt on the spectrum? Let’s start with the obvious Stonewall Jackson and Thomas Edward Lawerence. Also years ago before I had any idea of autism and it’s traits I studied General Nathanael Greene extensively, I’ve a hunch he may have been on the spectrum too.

No. They are too good with people. Caesar was a master, Cicero amazing, Hannibal SPECTACULAR, Marius unbelievable, Sulla impossible to beat, Demosthenes and Nicias untiring, Brasidas SO bad-ass....... these people had no sensory issues, tromping around in god-awful conditions and being impaled by various weapons, losing eyes and body parts or functions for a while and never had any sleep or social issues and had massive command of at least their own language and often more. I could go on and on. I have not even mentioned Alexander or Mithradates or others who were just incredible.....

I don't think any of them were even odd other than Claudius who may have been an Aspie. He was incredibly intelligent but thought to be stupid (which possibly saved his life).

I really think that Brigadier Orde Wingate, the guy who organized the British commando forces in Burma (the "Chindits") in WWII, is on the spectrum. For most of his childhood, he did not associate with other children. As an adult, he was considered a brilliant tacticion but eccentric.

No. They are too good with people. Caesar was a master, Cicero amazing, Hannibal SPECTACULAR, Marius unbelievable, Sulla impossible to beat, Demosthenes and Nicias untiring, Brasidas SO bad-ass....... these people had no sensory issues, tromping around in god-awful conditions and being impaled by various weapons, losing eyes and body parts or functions for a while and never had any sleep or social issues and had massive command of at least their own language and often more. I could go on and on. I have not even mentioned Alexander or Mithradates or others who were just incredible.....

I don't think any of them were even odd other than Claudius who may have been an Aspie. He was incredibly intelligent but thought to be stupid (which possibly saved his life).
You’re saying Rad that the people I listed were probably non spectrum or the names you listed? I’m a touch confused.

You’re saying Rad that the people I listed were probably non spectrum or the names you listed? I’m a touch confused.
I don't think it's higl likely than many could be, but that does not mean no one could be. And I say that only because so many aspies have so many comorbids like social issues and sensory, etc. AND they (aspies) tend to be not really that hard-butted. I could be wrong. I am open minded to other posters.

I don't think it's higl likely than many could be, but that does not mean no one could be. And I say that only because so many aspies have so many comorbids like social issues and sensory, etc. AND they (aspies) tend to be not really that hard-butted. I could be wrong. I am open minded to other posters.
Jackson would take things very literally and was a complete pain to get along with his peer officers, when he taught artillery school he would memorize he material the previous day and recite it verbatim to the class. A description of him in public vs in private is as good a definition of masking there ever was.

Lawrence was a complete outsider, when a teenager he built a hut in the family garden so he could focus on his obsessions.

Nat Greene also an awkward recluse with social issues but he was prepared for war because his intense obsession was military strategy books.

I know in my own case I do not suffer with sensory issues, besides color blindness to some extent

I've always wanted to join the army but I don't know if being autistic is a disqualifier where I live (Australia), because there's nothing I can find about it online.

I am not sure war would nessisarily be an impediment to some aspies. Even those with sensory issues. Aspies, it seems to me, are more self aware than many N.T.s. We know ourselves pretty well and many of us will tollerate sensory overload in order to have experiences that we can't have otherwise. The very deffinition of "bravery".

And if we are heavily masking our overload might present its self as migraines which are usually percieved as "normal" if uncommon.

I've always wanted to join the army but I don't know if being autistic is a disqualifier where I live (Australia), because there's nothing I can find about it online.
If you don't tell them, maybe they won't know.

I was in the California Air National Guard for 6 years and came out with a commendation. It can be done. Found a niche - electronic warfare instructor - where I wasn't bothered by other people much. The training is good, service looks good on the resume, and it tickled a patriotic streak I have. Without the Guard, I would never have landed my job at Lockheed.

I don't think I'd have enjoyed the regulars as much. One weekend a month and two weeks a summer was fine for me.

At least in the US, the Air Force has a bit less conformity (once you are out of training) and more value placed on being technically good at your job. They also let you grow your hair the longest of any service. (3 inches!)

Military training is extremely structured. Aspies will like that. But the need to get along with your fellow soldiers is still important as you live closely together and work as a team. "Band of brothers" sort of thing. Following orders you may not think are the best (without arguing) is also important. Just shut up and do it.

There are lots of specialties that do not involve direct combat. Noise isn't an issue but job performance is. I was in a combat communications squadron. The noise wouldn't be a problem for me as I grew up with hunting and recreational shooting.

My sense is that many historical figures were idolized and their quirks/deficits were smoothed over. Especially before television. I think it might be harder for someone on the spectrum today unless they were able to mask.

For example, I think it’s possible that George Washington was on the spectrum. Despite how we idolize him here in the United States, I’ve read that he was fairly anti-social and “weird.”

I’ve always loved military history, and now I wonder and there’s probably way more of you who have studied this intensely, what great military leaders come to mind that were no doubt on the spectrum? Let’s start with the obvious Stonewall Jackson and Thomas Edward Lawerence. Also years ago before I had any idea of autism and it’s traits I studied General Nathanael Greene extensively, I’ve a hunch he may have been on the spectrum too.

Ulysses S Grant possibly!

Did Ulysses S. Grant have Asperger’s Syndrome?Did Ulysses S. Grant have Asperger’s Syndrome?

New Threads

Top Bottom