• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism or Not? 2 Year Old Toddler

swilliams585

Hello,
We've recently identified behavior that we are concerned about in our 25 month old. We just thought he was slow gaining language because he's been exposed to so many (4), but it's becoming apparent that something more is occurring. Unfortunately, we are stationed overseas is very remote area; there are no services and minimal screening tools. If my son does have Autism, I know that early intervention is important; we are doing everything we can to get back to the states and have him properly screened. In the meantime, any feedback that can be given would be incredibly helpful!

He failed the M-Chat with a score of a 3. I've come to understand that this screening tool is just that: a screening tool. It's not a definitive diagnosis, and it is not all that accurate. Some of the concerning areas are:

Lack of pretend play
Lack of eye contact with strangers (makes eye contact with parents and babysitter).
Possible Stemming (flapping hands, shaking head, squinting eyes); these only occur when he's excited; we've never seen them when upset, etc. It usually happens when a song or video he likes comes on.
Puts crayons, markers, etc in his hands all facing the same direction; loves puzzles.
Is only saying a few words, most inconsistently.
Lack of interest in other children (he is an only child, however, and has not spent much time with other kids).

In terms of communication, he mostly drags us around to show us what he wants. He doesn't point. He will often bring us items for us to open them or fix them.

Behaviors that have us questioning whether he is autistic:
He looks us in the eyes and smiles.
He seeks our attention.
He bring things to his parents to show them off/get a reaction.
He's very affectionate (he loves hugs and kisses, and frequently seeks them out).
He doesn't engage in risky behavior.
If he's hurt, he seeks comfort from his parents.

This is, of course, an incomplete picture, but I'm hoping another parent may have been through this and have some insight until we are able to get him screened (this may be many months from now). In the meantime, what recommendations do you have for getting him to engage in play, language, and peers? I know that early intervention is important if he does in fact have autism.

Hi there
He does sound like a sweet kid, and it's good to know he has such loving parents.
One doesn't have to exhibit all the signifiers of ASD to be considered on the spectrum and you have noticed some that point in that direction, so it's certainly a possibility worthy of further investigation. At his age he might be a bit young for that - 36 months is often regarded as the point at which assessment is viable, but it varies according to the child's development of course.
Your best bet is definitely to take professional advice. We can speculate based on some inside knowledge, but it takes spent time with a child by people trained to spot the signals to give any kind of accurate opinion.
Whatever the outcome, I get the feeling you'll give him the best life you can. :)

I have an almost 6 year old son with autism. He used to do the same things and still does many of them. The only difference from what you described in the post is he doesn't speak at all.
Best thing is to get him to someone that can diagnose him or not, and start getting him the help he needs. Good luck!

Thank you everyone! It’s so frustrating not knowing and not being able to get him evaluated by professionals. We are all but begging the military to send us back early, but it’s taking forever to get answers. We were told 2 months ago they were going to send us back immediately. Now, it could be another 6+ months. A lot can happen, developmentally, in that time frame. I don’t want to wait. I want him to have the earliest interventions possible if he does have it. It gives him the best chance to catch up with his peers.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get him to do pretend play, interact with peers, and feel comfortable talking? I’m a bit lost here, but I’d like to try any and all interventions I can. I know most methods are still helpful, even for those without autism.

Will he roll a ball back and forth with you? You roll the ball on the floor to him, and he then rolls the ball back to you? That is interactive play and a starting point for encouraging him to play with you. NT babies love to do that. ND babies often won't interact in that manner.

Will he look at things you point out to him that most toddlers love to look at such as big trucks, zoo animals, airplanes flying overhead? Or ignore you and refuse to look at such things when you point them out? Again, that is interaction between the two of you.

Do you read age appropriate books to him on a regular basis? Most toddlers have favorite books which they want to be read to them (about 100 times a day in the case of my NT children), and they will point out things they like depicted in the illustrations such as animals, trucks, and boats and start trying to say the names of those objects. You should be able to ask him to show you things in the illustrations and he should point them out to you when you ask. Again, that's interaction.

These are just suggestions on how to get him to interact and can help you evaluate whether he is acting in an age appropriate manner. Age 2 may be a little young for him to want to "play" with other kids or to do "pretend" play other than maybe rolling toys with wheels around on the floor.

He sounds like a wonderful child who has great parents!

Two years old sound a little young for "pretend" play
to me, too, unless you mean, will he follow along with
small play situations that older kids or parents set up.

Like zooming an airplane toy (holding toy, moving it around,
saying zoom). Or pushing a doll stroller or toy lawn mower...
because others are doing it. Copying/mirroring.
That kind of pretend. Not full scale dramatic scenes that the
child thinks up on his own.

This list of behaviors looks useful to me.
Important Milestones: Your Child By Two Years

Welcome!

First, don't get caught up with all the milestones that children are supposed to reach at certain ages. Every child will be ahead in some and behind in others. The averages are just averages and don't represent the range of normal, healthy development.

Second, don't immediately accept or dismiss your suspicion of autism based on a checklist of symptoms. Everyone is different, and even those solidly on the autism spectrum may have some symptoms but not others. Your best answers will come from the professionals.

In the meantime, I think it's wonderful that you are so involved and invested in your child's development. Having parents that care is a wonderful advantage. I hope you are able to find some support here. You are welcome to come here, read, ask questions, etc.

New Threads

Top Bottom