• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism fakers

I doubt people (many people anyway) are faking. However there are most likely many people who have self diagnosed and are wrong. There is a reason why the DSM has differential diagnosis and why evaluations are more than an online test. There are many similarities between many disorders and while there may be similarities disorders have different treatments, needs, and outlooks. It could be ASD but it could be BPD, Schizoid PD, ADHD, Really bad social anxiety, Depression, Social communication disorder ETC.

I self diagnosed before I was officially diagnosed and so I empathise however I also kept it to myself I knew I met criteria so in my personal life I pushed for a eval it helped of course that many other people has thought the same thing and I was also diagnosed with a ton of things already but made sure to not say anything from the perspective of an autistic person because if I was wrong it could end up harming others with false perceptions. Today things that are kinda normal or slightly odd are seen as signs for autism. Of course not everyone has to be disabled but autism is more complex than what tiktok or instagram says it is. I know the struggle of feeling lost but please just do more research or find a professional if you can.

I used to know someone who blames his fat-shaming and racism on his OCD and supposed HFA. He was self-diagnosed.

I suspect that a good number of people who DO fake a disability are doing so precisely with the intention of getting away with stuff. That's literally their thing. "You can't blame me for [insert bad behavior here], I can't help it, I'm [insert disability here]." For getting away with everything from general rudeness to outright criminal behavior.

Granted, there are legitimate reasons why SOME neurodivergent people wind up doing things that aren't OK -whether it's lack of social skills, impulse control, etc. - when the "disability" ONLY presents itself when someone gets called out on bad behavior it's a pretty big clue.

I used to know someone who blames his fat-shaming and racism on his OCD and supposed HFA. He was self-diagnosed.

Sounds like narcissism. I went to an online forum for people who felt like they didn't belong on this planet and it seemed like a bunch of posters were narcissists who diagnosed themselves with HFA to use it as an excuse for their behavior.

While I did not know about autism back when I was struggling socially, I would have given anything to be normal. Who would want to claim something that so cruelly impacts one's life?
Some are so boring and/or bored and privileged that they want to claim it as an Identity. It's disgusting. It's led to some extremely grim times in my life.

Sounds like narcissism. I went to an online forum for people who felt like they didn't belong on this planet and it seemed like a bunch of posters were narcissists who diagnosed themselves with HFA to use it as an excuse for their behavior.
This is the most incisive insight I have read.

Another point I wanted to make but forgot about: the reality of actually living with it. Much more complicated and really understanding it seems to be difficult for too many. It's not that I demand or even expect someone to understand ASD, but if anyone wanted to do so they could come to a forum like this and read about the challenges and all of the negative life experiences people have had to put up with because of it.

Even if you do have it, clinically diagnosed, you still might have been told that you don't or something else unbelievably stupid. I guess the trendy social media variety of it with sprinkles on top, like many things, is more palatable and, most importantly, less boring.

Of course, many of us will come to terms with it and manage to become relatively successful in spite of the crap that life has hurled at us and you can read about that here too, but for those of us who have ASD there's nothing fake about it in the slightest. Like old age, it's not for sissies.

I doubt people (many people anyway) are faking. However there are most likely many people who have self diagnosed and are wrong. There is a reason why the DSM has differential diagnosis and why evaluations are more than an online test. There are many similarities between many disorders and while there may be similarities disorders have different treatments, needs, and outlooks. It could be ASD but it could be BPD, Schizoid PD, ADHD, Really bad social anxiety, Depression, Social communication disorder ETC.

I self diagnosed before I was officially diagnosed and so I empathise however I also kept it to myself I knew I met criteria so in my personal life I pushed for a eval it helped of course that many other people has thought the same thing and I was also diagnosed with a ton of things already but made sure to not say anything from the perspective of an autistic person because if I was wrong it could end up harming others with false perceptions. Today things that are kinda normal or slightly odd are seen as signs for autism. Of course not everyone has to be disabled but autism is more complex than what tiktok or instagram says it is. I know the struggle of feeling lost but please just do more research or find a professional if you can.

Speaking as someone who has done a lot of relevant research, and who works and has trained in areas that include working with autism issues, and with people who have ASD 1 diagnosis and their families, I hear what you are saying.

I have self diagnosed based on my research and on my internal recognition of issues that were only explained by my having ASD1. I would respectfully say that most of the conditions you mentioned, whilst they may present possible overlap, do not overlap in some very crucial areas that may be definitive. ADHD is probably the one most likely to present enough similar central features to cause confusion, however even there a careful attention to the social functioning side of things does enable recognition. Also bear in mind that there's a growing understanding that the female phenotype appears to be somewhat different, and that is now better understood by some 'experts' than others.

Because of some very telling central and core areas, I do not believe diagnosis is as hard as may be thought by some who see a sea of varied items without understanding what is the core of this. Uta Frith understood the core. In that, she compared the issues to diagnosis of dyslexia, which mostly is not controversial or treated as tricky.

Speaking as someone who has done a lot of relevant research, and who works and has trained in areas that include working with autism issues, and with people who have ASD 1 diagnosis and their families, I hear what you are saying.

I have self diagnosed based on my research and on my internal recognition of issues that were only explained by my having ASD1. I would respectfully say that most of the conditions you mentioned, whilst they may present possible overlap, do not overlap in some very crucial areas that may be definitive. ADHD is probably the one most likely to present enough similar central features to cause confusion, however even there a careful attention to the social functioning side of things does enable recognition. Also bear in mind that there's a growing understanding that the female phenotype appears to be somewhat different, and that is now better understood by some 'experts' than others.

Because of some very telling central and core areas, I do not believe diagnosis is as hard as may be thought by some who see a sea of varied items without understanding what is the core of this. Uta Frith understood the core. In that, she compared the issues to diagnosis of dyslexia, which mostly is not controversial or treated as tricky.
No but that's the point while all of the disorders I mentioned have very little overlap they do have some and people can be mistaken. From what I have seen at least in the past few years many people are not doing the research of course you seem to have put in that time but many don't. As for ADHD there are many people online who I have seen saying they are similar or even the same thing so while there might not be a ton of overlap in reality there are some people who may just have adhd saying they are autistic. There was even a video with hundreds of thousands of views saying ADHD, BPD, ODC, and ASD were all on the same spectrum weather or not an individual is responsible does not invalidate the amount of people who are not being so responsible.

I self diagnosed after years of research coupled with the fact that I had been told over and over that I might have ASD but had not been tested for it due to being "too polite" and "too verbal" I first thought I might have autism at 8 at 12 I "self diagnosed" I advocated to be tested and at 14 I was told I had ASD 2. It was a hard journey but one worth taking. Online I see it being used as an excuse or seen as a purely good thing or as a personality quirk or a way to be the victim. Of course not everyone is like that but there are many like that.

I get I may be a little bitter and while i am high functioning I am not the super high functioning person many people are. I am writing this from a group home so obviously I have a certain perspective.

^ This is interesting to me. Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly but it seems to be saying that Uta Frith says that autism diagnosing isn't "rocket science". Dyslexia diagnosis is more or less self-evident and based on a person's experience is generally accepted as a self-diagnosis. A similar example would be someone with blurred distance vision self-diagnosing that they have a vision issue that requires corrective lenses. Or someone who sunburns very easily self-diagnosing that they have sensitive skin. The symptoms are obvious in both examples. Is Uta Frith saying essentially the same thing? That autism symptoms are obvious enough that anyone can really self-diagnose and be more or less assured accuracy? If that's what she's saying I'd disagree with that for the reasons @PastelPetals mentions below.

I have been professionally diagnosed with both ASD LV1 and ADHD Inattentive type. I'm shocked at how similar the two are. There's no question in my mind that someone who doesn't have comorbidity of the two could be ADHD and assume autism or vice versa. A person could have ADHD, SPD (sensory processing disorder) and social anxiety and not be autistic.

No but that's the point while all of the disorders I mentioned have very little overlap they do have some and people can be mistaken. From what I have seen at least in the past few years many people are not doing the research of course you seem to have put in that time but many don't. As for ADHD there are many people online who I have seen saying they are similar or even the same thing so while there might not be a ton of overlap in reality there are some people who may just have adhd saying they are autistic. There was even a video with hundreds of thousands of views saying ADHD, BPD, ODC, and ASD were all on the same spectrum weather or not an individual is responsible does not invalidate the amount of people who are not being so responsible.

I self diagnosed after years of research coupled with the fact that I had been told over and over that I might have ASD but had not been tested for it due to being "too polite" and "too verbal" I first thought I might have autism at 8 at 12 I "self diagnosed" I advocated to be tested and at 14 I was told I had ASD 2. It was a hard journey but one worth taking. Online I see it being used as an excuse or seen as a purely good thing or as a personality quirk or a way to be the victim. Of course not everyone is like that but there are many like that.

I get I may be a little bitter and while i am high functioning I am not the super high functioning person many people are. I am writing this from a group home so obviously I have a certain perspective.

I don't think Uta Frith was commenting on self diagnosing. She was commenting on the process of diagnosing autism. I don't imagine or aim to get agreement on this issue but I do suggest people consider this from their internal perspective of how they experience defining factors of their autism, rather than think about lists of criteria and so on. @PastelPetals was doing that in her second post on this.

I agree there's a lot of conditions out there and some people probably do get confused or self diagnose incorrectly. I just wanted to represent the perspective of those of us who recognised our autism long before we knew what to call it, and the stories of many from earlier generations whose lives have been significantly affected without receiving help or recognition. I don't mind if you disagree, @Magna, you can look into it perhaps, before you do so? Read some sources perhaps? There's plenty out there.

I don't think Uta Frith was commenting on self diagnosing. She was commenting on the process of diagnosing autism. I don't imagine or aim to get agreement on this issue but I do suggest people consider this from their internal perspective of how they experience defining factors of their autism, rather than think about lists of criteria and so on. @PastelPetals was doing that in her second post on this.

I agree there's a lot of conditions out there and some people probably do get confused or self diagnose incorrectly. I just wanted to represent the perspective of those of us who recognised our autism long before we knew what to call it, and the stories of many from earlier generations whose lives have been significantly affected without receiving help or recognition. I don't mind if you disagree, @Magna, you can look into it perhaps, before you do so? Read some sources perhaps? There's plenty out there.

Realizing my (possible) autism before I knew it was a thing?
This has been my experience growing up. During my teenage years I finally realized that something was different about me. I couldn't put it into words or label it but I came to realize this as a truth.
What made me different had always been present, others did notice it too- for example, daycare teachers and my mother worried about me because I wouldn't start talking and I only started speaking in complete sentences in Elementary School. I've been sent to occupational therapy. I was very immature socially compared to my peers and got bullied throughout my school years. Teachers sent me to the school's psychologist.
I come from a similar background, Thinx.
During my professional training we focused on special needs and conditions according to the ICD-catalogue.
It was during my internships in social services, psychiatric clinics and special needs education centers that I started to see common ground with clients who were diagnosed with autism. Most were low-functioning, I didn't think much of it in the beginning, until I came across a medical study about autism and comorbities that sparked my interest. I started to research further and came to the conclusion that I might be on the spectrum.
I don't claim to be autistic. I suspect it. It's not something I talk about outside this forum.
I'd rather wish my differences to be gone- I'm failing at social interaction, I have bad executive function, and despite being one of the best students in my class, I'm failing my job in the social sector, it pushes me beyond my endurance- to the brink of mental breakdown.
It's not cool. I'm frustrated, too.
Sorry for venting and I mean no offence.

I doubt people (many people anyway) are faking. However there are most likely many people who have self diagnosed and are wrong. There is a reason why the DSM has differential diagnosis and why evaluations are more than an online test. There are many similarities between many disorders and while there may be similarities disorders have different treatments, needs, and outlooks. It could be ASD but it could be BPD, Schizoid PD, ADHD, Really bad social anxiety, Depression, Social communication disorder ETC...

All of those conditions you mentioned that are similar to ASD are mental health disorders. Despite the fact that many symptoms of ASD are also symptoms of mental health disorders, there is a popular belief that ASD is genetic or neurological. Because of that, I think a big reason people self-diagnose ASD is to avoid the stigma of being labeled mentally ill or negative reactions that result from it. For example, tell people you're too depressed to work and most people will interpret that as you being too lazy to work. Tell them you're autistic and they're more likely to understand.

All of those conditions you mentioned that are similar to ASD are mental health disorders. Despite the fact that many symptoms of ASD are also symptoms of mental health disorders, there is a popular belief that ASD is genetic or neurological. Because of that, I think a big reason people self-diagnose ASD is to avoid the stigma of being labeled mentally ill or negative reactions that result from it. For example, tell people you're too depressed to work and most people will interpret that as you being too lazy to work. Tell them you're autistic and they're more likely to understand.
I will also add that if you are mentally ill you are supposed to try to get better but you can't do that with autism. I have done the opposite and thought it was all mental illness for a bit cus I thought then I had a chance to get better. It did not work. However now I can see why they would do it. For me I wanted to do the work so I could be better for some it may be a way to not have to seek help and get better.

I will also add that if you are mentally ill you are supposed to try to get better but you can't do that with autism. I have done the opposite and thought it was all mental illness for a bit cus I thought then I had a chance to get better. It did not work. However now I can see why they would do it. For me I wanted to do the work so I could be better for some it may be a way to not have to seek help and get better.

This is a crucial point, and probably what makes diagnosis broadly a tad simpler. The point @Magna made about the self evidence of certain neurological or organic differences is also relevant here. I think I've described before here a simple example activity/test that Uta Frith used, which wasnt aimed to be a diagnostic test but to indicate how the person thought or understood things, and while it's unlikely to be universal or infallible was often indicative.

She would put a model ship in a box. She would say to a young person, Here is how we get the ship out of the box: turn it 3 times, knock on the box, then open it, and get the ship out. She would demonstrate how to do it. Then she would ask the young person to show how we get the ship out of the box. A neurotypical young person would turn the box 3 times, knock on it, then get the ship out of the box. A young person with autism would just open the box and get the ship out.

To me this demonstrates a core issue that is both a potential strength and a key difference that can make us seem problematically different; we dismiss or ignore conventions. The turning and knocking were not necessary to get the ship out of the box. We dispense with them, possibly even unconsciously or in pursuit of efficiency. And we wouldn't be wondering if we had hurt her feelings or anything, either.

In real time it demonstrates how we may not spot or see any significance in conventions. Our neurology shows us a different world in that way.

Realizing my (possible) autism before I knew it was a thing?
This has been my experience growing up. During my teenage years I finally realized that something was different about me. I couldn't put it into words or label it but I came to realize this as a truth.
What made me different had always been present, others did notice it too- for example, daycare teachers and my mother worried about me because I wouldn't start talking and I only started speaking in complete sentences in Elementary School. I've been sent to occupational therapy. I was very immature socially compared to my peers and got bullied throughout my school years. Teachers sent me to the school's psychologist.
I come from a similar background, Thinx.
During my professional training we focused on special needs and conditions according to the ICD-catalogue.
It was during my internships in social services, psychiatric clinics and special needs education centers that I started to see common ground with clients who were diagnosed with autism. Most were low-functioning, I didn't think much of it in the beginning, until I came across a medical study about autism and comorbities that sparked my interest. I started to research further and came to the conclusion that I might be on the spectrum.
I don't claim to be autistic. I suspect it. It's not something I talk about outside this forum.
I'd rather wish my differences to be gone- I'm failing at social interaction, I have bad executive function, and despite being one of the best students in my class, I'm failing my job in the social sector, it pushes me beyond my endurance- to the brink of mental breakdown.
It's not cool. I'm frustrated, too.
Sorry for venting and I mean no offence.
I am sorry to read of your hardships. No offence taken, I do not get offended easily, if ever. ❤️

There is possible harm in people faking autism. Basically as has been said here, some people may fake it so they can get away with acting like a jerk, which makes life harder for people who really are autistic.
Similarly, people order foods gluten-free just because it's trendy, so people who really do need gluten-free foods end up being called fakers.

Sometimes I see someone with a serious disability, or who had suffered a traumatic experience, and for some reason I feel guilty that I can't relate. I honestly don't know why. But maybe someone with similar feelings might fake a condition or a disability in order to be one of them?

I think that this can be a divisive topic. Yes, there are “fakers” who feel like they need to find acceptance (?) in some form. I remember back in middle school and the latest craze was for people to claim on tumblr that they were bi-polar because a “famous “ YouTuber claimed to have it, but turned out they didn’t. I remember that they made an apology video afterwards, although I don’t really remember how they were found out. However, it did place preconceptions about the condition, and that’s the issue because that makes it more challenging to have acceptance, let alone anything else that can be perceived as a negative connotation. And that’s what annoys me about it because it is hard to get acceptance when there’s a preconceived idea that’s based on a pretendIng influence. I don’t think that these people really realize their actions and effects....

Unfortunately, you’re also going to have some people who have nothing better with their time and will also make mischief by trolling but usually they get bored and. Move into something else.

However, it can be divisive because there are people who are self diagnosed and may feel like they are imposters. This assumption Can do a lot of damage.
It may be divisive but that does not mean it should not be discussed. These people exist, it has been spoken about in previous replies. I find it morally reprehensible to fake a disability.

Sorry, are you referring to me?

Reading through the posts in this thread I can see that to many an actual diagnosis is a luxury. There's nothing wrong with self diagnosis and it is pretty clear that most are either on the spectrum or in the surrounding area so to speak. To these people I say 'Hi friend, welcome to our community'. The same thing goes for people who aren't close to being on the spectrum who want to join us on here, all are welcome.
I have no issue at all with anyone being on here, as long as they are honest.

New Threads

Top Bottom