• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism Epidemic?

Not when standard approach was to institutionalize severely disabled people and forget about them. Or to exclude them from school and similar things and have them shut away at home.
Even in that regard, the numbers have risen.

Also, if that were the case, why would they become a burden to the school system all at once?

If it were due to some social policy change, one of these two things would happen,
  1. The school system would gradually assume responsibility from the mental health system; not suddenly! or
  2. The school system would suddenly inherit such responsibility and not be in such a quandary on where that burden came from [the mental health system]. (And it would plateau pretty quickly.)

Last edited:
Few lived long enough to reproduce and pass on their autistic genes, but some did. If there is any rise in the number of autistic births today, it is not because of any environmental factor other than social progress.
This recent spate of ASD2/3s isn't the offspring of other ASD2/3s, but rather of ASD1s. The amplified co-morbids aren't the product of heredity, but a recent environmental trauma, as @Tom proposed.

Yeah, but you're already autistic my friend! What have you got to lose?!?!??!
Pop those tarts to your heart's content!!

N.B. I was diagnosed before Pop Tarts were launched in the UK, so I think that particular "medical professional" I made up might be mistaken ;)

Did you make the poptart doctor picture yourself!?

Think back 100 years or more and consider how an autistic child would have been labelled at that time based on the behavioural traits we know of as "autism" today and it's associated co-morbidities. Consider also how that trait might affect the child's prospects for survival. In the developed world we now have healthcare and social support systems unheard of then. Given that even in our "enlightened" times, less than 1 in 5 autistic adults is in gainful employment, how would those children that survived to adulthood have been able to prosper? Only those who had sufficient intellect and ability to mask would be able to function in adult society, those we now label as Asperger's, HFA & ASD1.
Only a very select few with more pronounced traits, who were shielded by wealthy relatives, stood any real chance of surviving to be adults, and even then would be hidden from public sight. Others would have been institutionalised, imprisoned or permanently chained to the poor house. There were no social workers, support workers or benefits payments outside a fortunate minority who benefited from the extraordinary philanthropy of others.

This is true of almost all disabilities. People with visible deformations or abnormalities often became the subject of fear and fascination in circus sideshows. Still more were dissected and pickled in formaldehyde as medical curiosities, collected by the rich. For every "lobster boy" in the circus there were 100 "lobster child" samples in jars.

A non verbal autistic would just have been called "mute"
An autistic who frequently had meltdowns would be a "wayward child" or in adulthood a violent criminal, "madman" or "hysteric"
An autistic who descended into depression and shutdowns was a "melancholic"
An autistic who was synaesthetic would be regarded as insane or a heretic.
An autistic child with dyspraxia would just be "clumsy"
Even if they were lucky enough to be taught literacy in the first place, a dyslexic child would just be an "idiot"
An autistic who withdrew from the stresses of society and lived alone off the land would be a "hermit" and the same one who did so within a community a "beggar" or "vagrant"
The list goes on and on....

Many of the traits we now know to be associated with autism were bullied out of the child so they could function enough to survive, they died or they ended up on the scrapheap. Few lived long enough to reproduce and pass on their autistic genes, but some did. If there is any rise in the number of autistic births today, it is not because of any environmental factor other than social progress. More autistic people survive into adulthood and have children thereby continuing the mutation that led to our existence. Less dead or lost autistics means more newborn autistics. The survival of those genes for so many millennia, maybe back to our origins, is testament to their value to society. It was the bright eccentrics, the innovators, the inventors and the artists who had value to society so passed on their genes. Only the most capable and valued of us ever got the chance to do so. Society has changed for the better so we have flourished like never before.

Most of us who in the internet age exchange our views on this forum, would not have been talking about our autism were we born 100 years ago. We would be casualties of society.

I want to agree with this ten times over AND declare it a winner.

HA! This was even more surprising because I just now had a few moments of confusion where I thought this was an old notification I already saw and did some sort of double-take and then clicked it to check and BAM! "Surprise!" :D

If you are only experiencing a few moments of confusion it's a good day!

That's okay! I forget about every post shortly after I post it.
If you hover over your name on the upper edge of the page and then click on "Your Content," it will show all of your posts, starting with your most recent.

If you hover over your name on the upper edge of the page and then click on "Your Content," it will show all of your posts, starting with your most recent.

Wow, I had no idea!! Thank you!!! :)

That felt sarcastic but wasn't! If I'm ever sarcastic, you'll know because I follow it with, "Hey, look, I did it! I was sarcastic!"

Or at least you'll suspect. ;)

Don't push me @Fino
There's worse than Pop Tarts lurking on my hard drive ;)

Okay, I know it's been a while, but someone just reacted to my poptart post here and I saw this, and I've laughed at, "Don't push me Fino," like a dozen times for some reason, but I've never actually understood the next part about things worse than Pop Tarts on your hard drive. I've always resisted asking since it's funny anyway, but this is the last straw and it's the fault of whoever reacted to me post. :D

Okay, I know it's been a while, but someone just reacted to my poptart post here and I saw this, and I've laughed at, "Don't push me Fino," like a dozen times for some reason, but I've never actually understood the next part about things worse than Pop Tarts on your hard drive. I've always resisted asking since it's funny anyway, but this is the last straw and it's the fault of whoever reacted to me post. :D

Just that I've got quite a collection of meme type images backed up relating to autism myths, some of them very funny and many of them quite sarcastic. Some I've done myself, others I've just liked and saved "Don't push me..." or I might post some of them ;)

Just that I've got quite a collection of meme type images backed up relating to autism myths, some of them very funny and many of them quite sarcastic. Some I've done myself, others I've just liked and saved "Don't push me..." or I might post some of them ;)

Ohhh, my brain just kept saying, "Virus," and I kept saying, "Not virus," and it wouldn't listen.
That's hilarious!

Here's one that I had doing the rounds a few days ago @Fino :)

Remember - it's satire btw ;)

PSA01.png

Oh...my...DUCK, I don't think I'm Not Autistic! :D

I don't show a single sign! :cool:

Phew! ;)

That's why it was done. We see all these posters that try to scare parents into thinking their child is a "victim of autism" because they may have one or two stereotypical, or even false traits. The fact is you don't have to meet all the traits/stereotypes to still be autistic. I'm married and have a full time job. People sometimes listen to me too, but the rest of them apply to me ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom