• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism, Anybody? — A Book I'm Writing

Joshua the Writer

Very Nerdy Guy, Any Pronouns
V.I.P Member
I am writing a book called "Autism, Anybody?" It is about my Autism and what I want to understand about (mostly) my own case, but other people on the Spectrum, as well. I have written an introduction-type appendix and 4 parts/chapters. I don't know what the parts/chapters after the 4th would be, though. I want to have at least 6 or 7 parts/chapters. I need ideas. I've already done these topics (titles are shortened or otherwise not exactly as seen in-book):
  • Identity-First Language
  • I Can't Cure my Autism (don't want to)
  • I am Born This Way
  • What Autism is, What Causes It, Why People Shouldn't Fear It
What should I do next?

Anyways, I am most likely going to put it on Amazon as well as make it available in brick-and-mortar book/retail stores. Anywhere you can find books for sale, there is a chance that it'll be there. I might even send the Autism Forums staff a free copy! I'll also offer my friends, family members, and teachers free copies.

I'm not sure what I have it MSRP for. I want it to be affordable for readers, but also profitable for me. Maybe 15 USD.

Also, to everybody who currently does not live in the States, there will be a bunch of American English grammar and some American slang in there. I used ain't (which is an actual word, it's actually in the dictionary), so, if you are not used to words, terms, and spelling Americans such as myself use, you have been warned.

I want to get it published by the end of the year. I'll have my sister sister revise it for me. She is going to graduate from college next month, and she is an English major. I am pretty confident in my ability to write well, but not so much confidence when it comes to revising. Revising = weak point.

Expect to see it appear in the resource section of the forums in a few months or so. I'd love to have what I want to say go out into the world. I will start a blog about this.

Edit: I think I'll use future appendixes as places to put shorter pieces of information, such as lists and such.

Last edited:
You said this book will be about your autism but those chapter subjects you mention don't seem very personal. Perhaps you might include chapters about the different traits you particularly experience, with explanations about how they are a handicap and also how you enjoy or benefit from them. Possibly also information about the process of your diagnosis, how you deal with school and how you function within your family-are they difficulties, have you overcome some and how. Those are just the first ideas that pop into my head.

As mentioned before, it sounds interesting. Other parts and things to consider? Hm...

Us vs. them mentality - neurodiverse and neurotypical?
How do you view body language?
Difficulties of social situations? (Bullying?)
Sensory issues?
Sensory seeking vs. sensory avoiding?
What does sensory overload feel like? How do you recover?
Breaking down stereotypes?
Favourite textures, sounds, colours?
Hobbies vs. obsessions?
Literal, metaphorical and sarcasm?
Routines and schedules and how do you view them?
Stimming and soothing?
Different, not worse?

That's all I can think of right now. Of course, I mean those situations personalised and from your experience, not just general information you can find everywhere.

You said this book will be about your autism but those chapter subjects you mention don't seem very personal. Perhaps you might include chapters about the different traits you particularly experience, with explanations about how they are a handicap and also how you enjoy or benefit from them. Possibly also information about the process of your diagnosis, how you deal with school and how you function within your family-are they difficulties, have you overcome some and how. Those are just the first ideas that pop into my head.
I'm saying that because I use large amounts of personal language in this book, even in the non -personal sounding chapters. As I said, I didn't type in some of the chapters' names exactly as I have it in my book. Tbh, was mostly out of me not wanting to deal with typing slowly on a touchscreen too much. File for the book is on my Kindle Fire, which I am using RN.

Thanks for the tips, though.

As mentioned before, it sounds interesting. Other parts and things to consider? Hm...

Us vs. them mentality - neurodiverse and neurotypical?
How do you view body language?
Difficulties of social situations? (Bullying?)
Sensory issues?
Breaking down stereotypes?
Favourite textures, sounds, colours?
Hobbies vs. obsessions?
Literal, metaphorical and sarcasm?
Routines and schedules and how do you view them?
Stimming and soothing?
Different, not worse?

That's all I can think of right now. Of course, I mean those situations personalised and from your experience, not just general information you can find everywhere.
I have not yet implemented some of these fully or not thought about them at all yet. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sensory issues?
Sensory experiences/overload where briefly mentioned in "What Autism is, What Causes It, Why People Shouldn't Fear It." It might get it's own, dedicated chapter soon.

Stimming Stimming and soothing, hobbies v. obsessions, and different not worse will get one of those short appendixes I mentioned before.

What is writing about autism like? I kinda wanna write an autism related essay that explores the possible connection between the spectrum and the Japanese phenomena known as "Otaku".

What is writing about autism like? I kinda wanna write an autism related essay that explores the possible connection between the spectrum and the Japanese phenomena known as "Otaku".
I'm not sure how to describe. I think it's way more interesting than writing about anything else.

Just a warning about pricing. As an unknown writer, you have to consider how much people will be willing to pay. Amazon is overloaded with personal accounts of autism, so the competition will be heavy. $15.00 for an ebook is way out of line. That kind of pricing is limited to academic and professional books by authors with credentials. You need to stay well under $9.99, especially if you want the full royalties that Amazon pays. Look up their pricing and other information before publishing. You might get away with $15.00 for a print book, but I doubt it would sell well. Again, too much competition.

Just a warning about pricing. As an unknown writer, you have to consider how much people will be willing to pay. Amazon is overloaded with personal accounts of autism, so the competition will be heavy. $15.00 for an ebook is way out of line. That kind of pricing is limited to academic and professional books by authors with credentials. You need to stay well under $9.99, especially if you want the full royalties that Amazon pays. Look up their pricing and other information before publishing. You might get away with $15.00 for a print book, but I doubt it would sell well. Again, too much competition.
Probably true. Plus, if a school wants to order a bunch in mass, it'll be easier to do so.

Should I bump the price up a bit when it starts gaining traction or inflation happens?

Sounds like you're right on top of things and I hope it goes as you hope. I'd buy it.

Sounds like you're right on top of things and I hope it goes as you hope. I'd buy it.
Thanks. I hope it goes well, too. I might upload a variant of it that includes notes in the header from me, and also updated information about me. I'll also release newer editions in the future without margin notes, too.

snip

Should I bump the price up a bit when it starts gaining traction or inflation happens?

It depends where you set the price. If you're at 9.99, say, and you raise it, you'll probably sell fewer books, plus Amazon will drop your royalty from 70% to 30%. You may have to experiment a bit to find the sweet spot, but going too low can tell readers, you don't value your work, and going too high will turn them away unless you can show real value. Whatever change you make, you have to give it time to find out what works.

It depends where you set the price. If you're at 9.99, say, and you raise it, you'll probably sell fewer books, plus Amazon will drop your royalty from 70% to 30%. You may have to experiment a bit to find the sweet spot, but going too low can tell readers, you don't value your work, and going too high will turn them away unless you can show real value. Whatever change you make, you have to give it time to find out what works.
Okay. Got it. Thank you!

New Threads

Top Bottom