• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism and "Weird" Al Yankovic

dhl02

I worked in a place where the majority of the workforce was neurodiverse and one common theme was that there were a lot of people that enjoy Weird Al.

I've liked Weird Al since I first discovered him on MTV at age 6.

What say you?

I worked in a place where the majority of the workforce was neurodiverse and one common theme was that there were a lot of people that enjoy Weird Al.

What say you?

My kids loved him!

Don't know if there is any connection, but I like him. Doctor Demento show also, which featured him early on and many other odd things. :)

I'm not the biggest fan of Weird Al, but his was the first live concert I went to. It was at a county fair and I still remember it fondly.

I thought it was funny when I was a teenager, but I don’t consider myself a fan.

What say you?
What I do like is that he gets permission to do his version

Some of his videos are interesting, others are not.

Calling his videos a parody is quite a stretch. I understand parody as a content that takes an original work and changes elements to make it humorous, turning it into a joke. While Weird Al call all his videos "parodies", I believe most don't fit into what I consider to be a parody.

His song Amish Paradise is rightfully a parody of Gangsta's Paradise, because while the latter is a rap song, a genre associated mostly associated at the time with african american communities an representing the harsh realities of the subcultures they were born (and pushed) into, and that is precisely what Gangsta's Paradise is about, the song Amish Paradise is a rap song about the pleasant life in the Amish community, which when considering the original it's a funny twist. A similar comment applies to the song White and Nerdy, parody of Ridin'.

His song Foil, however, can barely be called a parody of Royals. It constructs nothing based on the theme of Royals, but only takes the original song instrumentation and puts wacky lyrics on top. I find most of his songs to be of this kind: wacky lyrics bearing no relation to the original song.

I find his originals to be more interest that his so-called parodies. I like this one

What say you?

I love his work!

I haven’t kept up with him. I sometimes listen to his older songs and I thought UHF was funny.

I've loved his work since 1995 when I was given a copy of his debut album on cassette. I also admire the fact that he gets permission from the original artists to do his parodies. The coolest story to me is when he got permission from Michael Jackson to parody "Bad" and Michael even let Al use the subway set from his Moonwalker movie ("Badder" segment)

I am, naturally, a very serious person. Weird Al helps connect me to my sense of the absurd. My husband and I both enjoy making up our own Yankovichian parodies and we often do so together.

Weird Al's backing band are, no joke, some of the most talented people in the industry. You'd have to be to be able to do so many different music styles.

In my experience it's not 'Weir Al' but Pink Floyd. Probably because 'Weird Al' is not a very big name here.

New Threads

Top Bottom