• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism and heat intolerence

I'm very sensitive to the cold, and always tolerated heat well. I hate the feeling of cold on my bare arms or legs.

I can tolerate either very cold or very hot. I do obsess over snowboarding and mountain biking so maybe my interest put my brain in overide to be able to cope in those situations

I cannot touch a plate or mug after microwaving them nor eat/drink anything over about 110 F.
Strangely, I really like hot showers.

However, I am fairly tolerant of the cold.

I can’t stand the heat either. It’s hard to deal with and it makes me frustrated. I cannot sleep in the heat. I hate sweating and waking up in my sweat.

Tolerance for cold is a matter of metabolism. How fast your body can generate heat. People who have ancestry in cold regions have a greater cold tolerance. People who spent time outside growing up tolerate cold better.

Tolerance for heat is very similar. Metabolism, where your ancestors came from, and how you grew up.

When I was young, I adapted quickly from summer to winter. As I get older, that adaptation is slower. I'm usually adapted to the new season about the time it ends.

Well, I've never been a fan of heat either, but I didn't get the pouring sweats over brisk walking until I was injured later. It's a thorough workout for me to walk at a reasonable pace for about a mile.

I guess I prefer the cold weather somewhat. But if I have something to keep my brain occupied, then the heat tends to get ignored some.
Back when I was hyperthyroid, the heat affected me more...
The heat and cold are relative- what I consider cold, probably wouldn't be to someone in Manitoba! It freezes here rarely, after all.
The heat was endured for 30+ years with my outdoor job. In the summer, the temps oscillate from 95f to 105f. As I got older, it became more difficult to handle the heat, and I retired after a particularly brutal summer with temps exceeding 100f most days. Don't miss it- sitting in the air conditioned house nowadays looking outside at the roasting landscape.
I sleep best when I have my bare feet sticking out from the blankets for some reason.

I'm more sensitive to the cold. Like my mum always said; being hot is uncomfortable but being cold hurts. And that is so true.
I don't like wearing too much clothes in hot weather though. I remember when we had temperatures of 40C a couple of summers ago, but we still weren't allowed to wear shorts at work because of stupid health and safety rules. I hated wearing trousers in that sort of heat. I mean, come on, 40C for Christ sake, which is very unusual for the UK. My legs needed to breathe!
Also I remember I hated going to school in the hot weather because they made us keep our school blazers on (which were black) and our ties had to be done up and top buttons had to be fastened - by teachers who wore comfortable summer-friendly clothes. The girls weren't even allowed to wear skirts (skirts got banned at my school because girls kept wearing them too short).

I cannot stand the heat, not even in limited amounts (like, say, sunny weather in the 70s F), I find it incredibly uncomfortable. I hate the feeling of heat and sunshine on my skin. Also, the hotter it gets, the harder it is for me to breathe.

The girls weren't even allowed to wear skirts (skirts got banned at my school because girls kept wearing them too short).
I attended a school where the skirt had to be two inches below the bottom of the knee cap. If there was doubt, they measured it. Very strict. If it was too high, your parents had to bring in appropriate clothing while you waited in the office - or you waited there until the end of the school day. If it was close, you could rip the seam out to get it to the required length. That would happen once every year and it kept the rest of the girls in line.

I know that I am quite uncomfortable at any temperature over 24°C/75°F...also, I don't much enjoy temperatures below -8°C/18°F.

New Threads

Top Bottom