• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism and heat intolerence

SchrodingersMeerkat

trash mammal
I've never really been able to withstand heat. Even in winter I always wanted to have the AC on. After I turned 18 and my mother was no longer worried about family services taking me away, she let me dress however I wanted. I wore shorts in sub zero Ohio winter for years; but that really had nothing to do with the heat.

It was because if something touched my knees when they were unbent, I felt like I was going to pass out. No doctor was willing to take me seriously as a child because they kept saying it was due to the autism and in my younger days.

My father never cared how I dressed, as long as I was modest. One day, in third grade the teacher tells us to wear pants to school the next day becuase there's going to be a big Ohio winter storm or something. I asked her what would happen if someone wore shorts. Mostly I was just curious but this particular teacher took things way too personally. She asked, "Why? Are you planning to wear them?"

In my head I was like, "Lady, I ALWAYS want to wear shorts and since you put the idea in my head, I probably will now." Seriously, she should have just said, "Well, I think they will be very cold. I hope everyone has a pair of warm pants they can wear tomorrow." And maybe wonder if the child doesn't have proper winter clothes due to poverty. But no, this lady took it as a personal challenge.

The next day, my mom had to go to work early and my dad worked nights. Like I said, as long as I was covered, he could careless how I went to school. He had severe PTSD from serving in Vietnam and self medicated by drinking.

Maybe he was drunk that morning? Anyway, I put on some shorts and say goodbye to my dad and get on the bus. I didn't notice until I got off the school bus that they were ripped down the back. You could clearly see my underpants and I had several boy bullies who would have loved that sort of thing for two reasons. One to amuse their tiny, perverted minds and two, as fodder to humiliate me.

So I take off my coat and wrap it around my butt. I told the teacher and she sends me to the office. I am SCREAMING there is a huge, giant HOLE in them....that exposes my butt. I may not have even had underpants on either because I often did not wear them if my mother wasn't around to enforce me putting them on in the first place. I found the waistbands painful. But no, the teacher assumes I'm screaming because of the cold or so my mother told me years later.

I do not remember being even a little bit cold that day. But my mother told me the teacher tried to call family services on her. She did not like my mother. But at the time my mother was quite a pushover. She never did anything physically mean to me, but I possibly have PTSD from her emotional abuse. I found her on Facebook a few years ago and called her out. Never heard back from her; but I didn't expect her too.

Anyway, once I turned 18 and was legally my own person, my mother let me dress however I wanted as long as it was appropriate. There was only an issue when we went to church. Luckily, my mom let me wear blue jeans which were really the only kind of fabric I could tolerate. I tried on my brother's old karate uniform when my parents wanted me to take it so bad and I couldn't move due to the fabric touching my knees.

My parents just yelled at me for being uncooperative or stubborn. I'm beginning to wonder if all the aches and pains my parents got as they got older is truly old age or karma. They now believe me too about all the pain and sensitivity I had as a child. My mother no longer forces me to try stuff on. If she sees something she thinks I will like (which I usually do) she asks me if I would like to try it on. If she buys me clothes, it's always T-shirts with Rocket Racoon (find him relatable on so many levels...except my "Groot" did not come back) or meerkats on them.

Anyway, is sensitivity to heat and intolerance to cold something common to autism? I notice that it's the cold most people can't take. My dad could be on the sun and still complain about being cold. I do get cold once in a while, but never a bone chilling cold, and I can always warm myself up in a few minutes. However, cooling myself down takes longer and it doesn't take much to make me get hot. Weirdly, I don't seem to ever get fevers.

I quickly overheat in hot humid temperatures. When most people would be sweating in hot humid temps I sweat buckets and turn very red if I'm exerting myself at all. My shirts are drenched in the summer time and if I'm working outside I'll sometimes change clothes halfway through.

My ideal temp is nothing above 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Even though I live in a place that can have winter over half the year, the summers are generally cool which is what I can deal with.

My gym runs the heat even as l run. I just pace myself now. Heat means l eat less because our body heats up as it breaks down what we need. So l like to just drink a lot of liquids.

I have gone into heat exhaustion without even feeling bad other than getting very dizzy and about to pass out. I don't feel the heat. I wear the same thing all the time (long sleeves, long pants). I don't like the cold, however.

I have poor/unusual heat shedding capacity, I tend to go red and sweat a lot in heat that doesn't bother others, could never take up a sport because of it. However I live in a hot dry area, have lotsa shade in yard, air con.

I hate getting around in shorts in public cos it's a bit immodest, I like cover up clothes, but I don't have much choice in this climate.

Maybe you could desensitise to the knee/fabric thing, it could be a problem for work?

Agree with Aspychata about eating less in heat, I can't even taste food when temp is over about 34 celcius (like 90 fahrenheit) so you just drink or eat salads.

Thinking of moving again, 2 hours south, it's a coupla degrees cooler, weather is a bit wilder/monsoony, but the shops are open till midnight which is handy in hot climates. Will probably take a year or so.

Maybe you could desensitise to the knee/fabric thing, it could be a problem for work?

Been trying all my life. My chiropractor and psychiatrist think it's ehlers danlos syndrome. I was going to get tested for it, but then Covid happened. I was going to do a lot of things and then Covid happened.

Very vulnerable to cold here. I cant stand it, never could. I dont do well with winter.

Need heat. I've got a personal heater always running next to me in the basement here (partly because the basement is enormous, so it cools down easily), but even when I'm down at the house off the coast of Florida, I still usually have a heater running there too in the room where I often am, because dagnabit it can get a LITTLE chilly in that room at night (I've never figured out just why).

I live in Illinois, which is.... uuuuugh... definitely not exactly my preferred climate. Any time I can get down south to the tropical zone is a good time, yep.

And I use heavy blankets even during summer, and even despite that my room is always the warmest part of the house since it is over the utility room.

Can't handle loud noises. That and cold wind I can't stand. Heat too a degree I can. Though admittedly I have passed out from heat exhaustion more then once. Not a fun experience.o_O

I feel the cold too easily, I have pet reptiles and relate with them with wanting to bask under a nice warm lamp lol.

I go to South Africa during the Summer, and even during their heatwaves when the temperature reached 40C I wasn't especially uncomfortable with it. I was sweating a lot but didn't feel overheated. I tend to do pretty well in the heat but I'm slow to warm up when I'm cold.

Can't handle loud noises. That and cold wind I can't stand. Heat too a degree I can. Though admittedly I have passed out from heat exhaustion more then once. Not a fun experience.o_O
I can’t handle loud noises keep road drills away from me. I also don’t like being too hot or too cold.

I could be a combination of things. Sensory issues with many of us, including myself, appears to be this "mixed bag" of hyper and hypo sensitivity to sound, light, touch, pain, temperature, smell, taste, and so on.

The other thing it could be is some degree of hypothyroidism that results in a lower body temperature. For example, I have hypothyroidism and my body temperature is not the normal 98.6F/37C, but a full degree cooler 97.7F/36.5C. So, my sense of "cold" is blunted and I feel quite uncomfortable in anything above say 80F/26.7C. If I run a fever, it's like anything above 100F/37.8C,...and I am feeling horrible.

Running a lower body temperature makes you feel warmer in a cooler environment.

Living in the High Desert I get the cold and the heat. And four distinct seasons with different periods of duration to boot. I like it. :cool:

But it still beats those colder winters and hot and incredibly humid summers in Virginia. And the climate year round on the island of Guam....oh my! The tropics were so tough on allergies. :eek:

The weather perils of being a Navy Brat...:oops:

Last edited:
I've never really been able to withstand heat. Even in winter I always wanted to have the AC on. After I turned 18 and my mother was no longer worried about family services taking me away, she let me dress however I wanted. I wore shorts in sub zero Ohio winter for years; but that really had nothing to do with the heat.

It was because if something touched my knees when they were unbent, I felt like I was going to pass out. No doctor was willing to take me seriously as a child because they kept saying it was due to the autism and in my younger days.

My father never cared how I dressed, as long as I was modest. One day, in third grade the teacher tells us to wear pants to school the next day becuase there's going to be a big Ohio winter storm or something. I asked her what would happen if someone wore shorts. Mostly I was just curious but this particular teacher took things way too personally. She asked, "Why? Are you planning to wear them?"

In my head I was like, "Lady, I ALWAYS want to wear shorts and since you put the idea in my head, I probably will now." Seriously, she should have just said, "Well, I think they will be very cold. I hope everyone has a pair of warm pants they can wear tomorrow." And maybe wonder if the child doesn't have proper winter clothes due to poverty. But no, this lady took it as a personal challenge.

The next day, my mom had to go to work early and my dad worked nights. Like I said, as long as I was covered, he could careless how I went to school. He had severe PTSD from serving in Vietnam and self medicated by drinking.

Maybe he was drunk that morning? Anyway, I put on some shorts and say goodbye to my dad and get on the bus. I didn't notice until I got off the school bus that they were ripped down the back. You could clearly see my underpants and I had several boy bullies who would have loved that sort of thing for two reasons. One to amuse their tiny, perverted minds and two, as fodder to humiliate me.

So I take off my coat and wrap it around my butt. I told the teacher and she sends me to the office. I am SCREAMING there is a huge, giant HOLE in them....that exposes my butt. I may not have even had underpants on either because I often did not wear them if my mother wasn't around to enforce me putting them on in the first place. I found the waistbands painful. But no, the teacher assumes I'm screaming because of the cold or so my mother told me years later.

I do not remember being even a little bit cold that day. But my mother told me the teacher tried to call family services on her. She did not like my mother. But at the time my mother was quite a pushover. She never did anything physically mean to me, but I possibly have PTSD from her emotional abuse. I found her on Facebook a few years ago and called her out. Never heard back from her; but I didn't expect her too.

Anyway, once I turned 18 and was legally my own person, my mother let me dress however I wanted as long as it was appropriate. There was only an issue when we went to church. Luckily, my mom let me wear blue jeans which were really the only kind of fabric I could tolerate. I tried on my brother's old karate uniform when my parents wanted me to take it so bad and I couldn't move due to the fabric touching my knees.

My parents just yelled at me for being uncooperative or stubborn. I'm beginning to wonder if all the aches and pains my parents got as they got older is truly old age or karma. They now believe me too about all the pain and sensitivity I had as a child. My mother no longer forces me to try stuff on. If she sees something she thinks I will like (which I usually do) she asks me if I would like to try it on. If she buys me clothes, it's always T-shirts with Rocket Racoon (find him relatable on so many levels...except my "Groot" did not come back) or meerkats on them.

Anyway, is sensitivity to heat and intolerance to cold something common to autism? I notice that it's the cold most people can't take. My dad could be on the sun and still complain about being cold. I do get cold once in a while, but never a bone chilling cold, and I can always warm myself up in a few minutes. However, cooling myself down takes longer and it doesn't take much to make me get hot. Weirdly, I don't seem to ever get fevers.

I really don't think it has anything to to with autism. I am the extreme polar opposite to you. I cannot tolerate cold, but I don't think I have ever experienced too hot. Anything below 80F feels chilly to me. I can work all day in 100+F temps. My best sleeping temperature is 85F. Been that way all my life.

I think some people do just have higher- or lower-than-average body temperatures. I don't think my heat tolerance is any different from most NTs' though.

I also grew up in LA, and later moved further inland. I now live in a part of AZ with roughly the same weather as Las Vegas. So I grew up used to the heat.

Some people are naturally cold or warm weather tolerant. You can adapt but it takes time. In my case, winter is about over by the time I'm used to the cold and summer is gone by the time I'm adapted to the heat.

Sensory issues with many of us, including myself, appears to be this "mixed bag" of hyper and hypo sensitivity to sound, light, touch, pain, temperature, smell, taste, and so on.

I’ve wondered what it would be like growing up knowing about your autism because I’ve always been embarrassed by how much these things bother me. Meaning, I had so much other weirdness I didn’t need more.

Sensitive to both cold and heat, can’t stand the weight of blankets, distracted by more than sweatpants and t-shirt, eyes see what others filter, particular discrete frequencies coming from the shower water hitting the tub... the world is a place of trials and marvels I probably shouldn’t tell people about.

Upsides, maybe? My wife would say I have an unusual awareness of my body. I wouldn’t dream of public nudity but something very different from sunning happens when the entire body is exposed to the sun. Another example, I used to sail with many different people on the boat (normal garb), and never got any indication that anyone but me could take such pleasure and joy in all the sensations of sailing. Another example, I’m a 68yo anxious and severely depressed poorly controlled lifelong overweight and under exercised diabetic, but my blood pressure is barely into the ’caution’ zone; I feel particular things, know I need to start biofeedback and it goes away in usually several days. My ears are the biggest challenge, but I honestly wonder if the average cat is as moved by music.

Like a job I’d rather not have, it helps me to think of the benefits.

Last edited:
Upsides, maybe? My wife would say I have an unusual awareness of my body. I wouldn’t dream of public nudity but something very different from sunning happens when the entire body is exposed to the sun. Another example, I used to sail with many different people on the boat (normal garb), and never got any indication that anyone but me could take such pleasure and joy in all the sensations of sailing. Another example, I’m a 68yo anxious and severely depressed poorly controlled lifelong overweight and under exercised diabetic, but my blood pressure is barely into the ’caution’ zone; I feel particular things, know I need to start biofeedback and it goes away in usually several days. My ears are the biggest challenge, but I honestly wonder if the average cat is as moved by music.

Like a job I’d rather not have, it helps me to think of the benefits.
LOL! Public nudity is almost a pastime for me. Nude sailing is exquisite. Just lots of sunscreen.

I can’t regulate my own temperature. I have POTS though. I don’t do well either way but being too hot as more off an issue. I tend to pass out if I get too hot. Going from very cold to very hot will usually be a trigger for my POTS making me dizzy. Don’t know if my temperature issues were autism symptoms but defiantly know other people who are.

New Threads

Top Bottom