• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism and digestive issues

AustinFrom1995

Hello everyone, I had a question (sorry if this is the wrong section of the forums), does anyone else have common stomach issues, and are they related to autism? I have read that auties are more prone to upset tummies and other digestive problems, often due to anxieties and an over-production of stomach juices.

Yes, after a period of extreme stress and/or anxiety, I become physically sick. On several occasions, a doctor has diagnosed me with gastroenteritis, when all along the problem has been anxiety. If I travel for a long period of time, I get sick. Anxiety and overload. As a child/student, I always needed to go to the toilet a lot during exam time, or during exams. I have recently been told I have IBS.

Very much so. I also have been diagnosed with ibs and hiatus hernia and had gerd, but taking honey instead of sugar in my coffee actually healed my stomach lining and esophecus ( terrible spelling).

Oh and just for information purposes. stomach acids problems actually means a LACK OF ACID, which is why all the problems occur.

Gastroesophageal reflux disease here. Started in my early 40s.

As my brother once commented, he thought I had become allergic to food. :(

Very much so. I also have been diagnosed with ibs and hiatus hernia and had gerd, but taking honey instead of sugar in my coffee actually healed my stomach lining and esophecus ( terrible spelling).

Oh and just for information purposes. stomach acids problems actually means a LACK OF ACID, which is why all the problems occur.

Honey is good idea. I've never tried it in coffee.

Pickles help with stomach acid issues and digestion. You can eat any kind of vegetable pickled in vinegar such as cucumbers, squash, peppers, and onions. Some people drink a small amount of plain white vinegar every day to get the same result.

I've had stomach issues in the past as well. Can't eat vegetables besides potatoes and peas without gagging. Also I gag if I eat to fast.

I like to make burps into little short songs. Like a gaseous aria. But only when alone. My otherwise loving wife would kill me and bury me in the basement otherwise. Not sure if this counts.

I like to make burps into little short songs. Like a gaseous aria. But only when alone. My otherwise loving wife would kill me and bury me in the basement otherwise. Not sure if this counts.
:D
My brothers and I; when much, much younger, used to compete with each other on the length or quantity of words we could push out using this method.
At that age and stage of our youth we thought it hilarious.
Until one of us vomited,
Which was even funnier.

I can get quite anxious which affects my digestion and more so my stomach.
I know I’ve overdone things if my stomach and bowel are griping and cramping and I’m dashing to the loo.

I’m trying to work on prevention, (it can take a couple of days for things to settle again)
Prevention meaning to try to change how anxious I let myself get.
Using some calming techniques to settle myself - preferably before rather than after.

Honey is good idea. I've never tried it in coffee.

It took a bit of self control, because of how syrupy it is, but now, I cannot think how I couldn't stand it at first lol

I was told that I consumed too much and so, went on a panic search to see if too much honey is bad and apparently, anymore than 6 teaspoons a day ( it could actually be 8), is when it turns to being too much and happily I am ok.

It was by accident that I discovered honey healed my stomach lining. 3 year's ago, due to moving to a different area, I thought that whether I like it or not, I best get new results for my digestion.

I could not believe how blasé the chap was, after giving me the verdict. Oh, keep up with the medicine and I am like. Yes, but medicine is bad, because it stops acid production and he just did not care.

It was only when I had an emergency operation ending of last year, I decided that I would ask if there was a chance to operate on my hiatus hernia ( which in fact, I had to find out what that is myself)! So, I decided to gather the information from a previous diagnosist and the latest one, so that he would have as much information as possible and it was only on reading the latest readings, I did a double take. Stomach: normal. Esophicus ( ouch) normal. But how can that be? And this also perplexed the surgeon, so I am glad it was not me misreading.

I was thinking: what have I changed for there to be a dramatic difference in my diagnostics and then it hit me. I have swapped from refined sugars to honey! Which makes sense, since honey is a healing property.

Lol when I mentioned the diagnostic difference to my dr, she said: but of course, that is obvious. It is your medicine that did that. I had to firmy lock my mouth, in case I said something that would have me being marched out of the office lol

I try to counteract anxiety with getting enough rest when possible. If there are too many stressful days in a row
I get physically sick, IBS, GERD and even vertigo.
Then I'm forced to bed for rest. Body is telling me to give it what it needs.

It took a bit of self control, because of how syrupy it is, but now, I cannot think how I couldn't stand it at first lol

I was told that I consumed too much and so, went on a panic search to see if too much honey is bad and apparently, anymore than 6 teaspoons a day ( it could actually be 8), is when it turns to being too much and happily I am ok.

It was by accident that I discovered honey healed my stomach lining. 3 year's ago, due to moving to a different area, I thought that whether I like it or not, I best get new results for my digestion.

I could not believe how blasé the chap was, after giving me the verdict. Oh, keep up with the medicine and I am like. Yes, but medicine is bad, because it stops acid production and he just did not care.

It was only when I had an emergency operation ending of last year, I decided that I would ask if there was a chance to operate on my hiatus hernia ( which in fact, I had to find out what that is myself)! So, I decided to gather the information from a previous diagnosist and the latest one, so that he would have as much information as possible and it was only on reading the latest readings, I did a double take. Stomach: normal. Esophicus ( ouch) normal. But how can that be? And this also perplexed the surgeon, so I am glad it was not me misreading.

I was thinking: what have I changed for there to be a dramatic difference in my diagnostics and then it hit me. I have swapped from refined sugars to honey! Which makes sense, since honey is a healing property.

Lol when I mentioned the diagnostic difference to my dr, she said: but of course, that is obvious. It is your medicine that did that. I had to firmy lock my mouth, in case I said something that would have me being marched out of the office lol

Have you ever tried brown sugar or molasses in coffee? Brown sugar is the same as white sugar with some molasses added to it.

I try to avoid processed sugars, too, so I often substitute honey, maple syrup and agave syrup in recipes. I know that sugar is totally devoid of nutrition but sometimes I like to have something sweet.

When we were kids, my siblings and I would try to say the entire alphabet with one burp....

When we were kids, my siblings and I would try to say the entire alphabet with one burp....

Out hiking one day with our Campfire Girls group,
some of the girls reported to my mother that there
was a bear in the woods. :)

Me, doing loud vocalized burps. :D

I had thought everybody knew how to do this, but
apparently some of the girls had not yet learned it. :cool:

Have you ever tried brown sugar or molasses in coffee? Brown sugar is the same as white sugar with some molasses added to it.

I try to avoid processed sugars, too, so I often substitute honey, maple syrup and agave syrup in recipes. I know that sugar is totally devoid of nutrition but sometimes I like to have something sweet.

I did try brown sugar once, but couldn't stand the taste and then, on looking it up, yes, you are absolutely right, there is very little difference between white and brown.

I do the same ie maple syrup or agave syrup in recipes.

Pure cane sugar is fine though, because of that factor ie purity.

A wonderfully TMI anecdote; in kindergarten, a teacher once told my class we couldn't fart in her class because it smelled bad. I've had trouble with passing gas ever since. I'm often in a lot of lower stomach pain. I think it has to do with trying too hard to adjust to the norm that was set up then.

I have had issues with my stomach for years,as a kid I constantly got the stomach flu also known as gastro a lot,I also have a anxiety disorder and so that affects my stomach a lot aswell and I can also get motion sickness very easily.

New Threads

Top Bottom