• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Audiobooks

Licorice

Twisted
I find they're a nice chance to get my eyes off the computer screen for awhile and just listen, although I often don't have the attention span. I listened to Cormac McCarthy's The Road on a dark, rainy day without much else to do and it was magical. Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane was started one evening when the power was out and I had only a candle, but didn't feel like sleeping.

Any good ones in your experience? I really want to find the man who read The Road in some other audiobooks.

I can't seem to focus on the sound for long, but I read Anne Frank's Diary of a Young Girl that way when I was younger, as well as the Tora-trilogy, starting with The House with the Blind Glass Windows. Tried to read The Lord of the Rings that way, but the accent was too thick. :)

I don't listen to audiobooks because I'm deaf and anything recorded is usually too distorted for me. But I've heard that the Artemis Fowl audiobooks are supposed to be very good.

The man who narrated the Artemis Fowl audiobooks has a British accent.

Oh I can only read from the old fashioned method of a book. Listening does my head in and reading a book online is horrible. Plus I am not constantly on my laptop or tablet.

Love reading classics

I like listening to lots of different radio shows.
My favorite is the Sherlock Holmes series starring Clive Merrison and Micheal Williams.
I know that a radio drama is different to an audiobook, but I enjoy listening to them at night or while I'm cooking, cleaning, knitting, etc.
I think anything audio is a welcome relief sometimes from the "noisiness" of TV shows. Modern programs are so flashy and faced paced.

I don't listen to audiobooks because I'm deaf and anything recorded is usually too distorted for me. But I've heard that the Artemis Fowl audiobooks are supposed to be very good.

The man who narrated the Artemis Fowl audiobooks has a British accent.
I love the Artemis Fowl series! Still waiting for the film that may never be made...

I got into audiobooks because I drive an hour each day and wanted something to occupy the time. the mellenium books, A mystery called never go back (quite good) and others.

I listen to a variety of audiobooks these days such as Ngaio Marsh's murder mysteries and M.R James's ghost stories as well as radio shows and panel games like Paul Temple adventures, the Goon Show and Just a Minute. I dont understand why some people read from those tablet things, I can only read from a proper book (even reading from a laptop screen can quickly exhaust me).

Jon Ronson reads his own books, so I highly recommend Them: Adventures With Extremists, which is a fascinating work of investigative journalism. His voice is just...lovely.

also, I love the Harry Potter books that are read by Stephen Fry, if you can find them.

I can't listen to audiobooks because I miss too much of the story. I'm not very good at processing spoken words.

I've listened to a couple of audio books, but I find that I don't absorb them as well. The voice and style of the reader is very important. I've only used Librivox and sometimes the reader changes from chapter to chapter. I like my Kindle the best.

I use audio books when I sew. Last summer the local library was throwing out all their cassettes, but one employee retrieved a big box of them to try to sell in the Friends of the Library Sale. She sold to me, for one dollar, 83 books on tape. Not one dollar each. One dollar total.

I wish there had been books for children in the box. Wind in the WIllows, Harry Potter, even Hank the Cow Dog. But-----they are all books for 'grown-ups.' Which means, mainly: Somebody is after somebody else because A. murder, B. adultery, C. theft, D. a combination of A, B, & C. A lot of people shooting other people.

When I am done listening to one, I donate it to the resale shop.

Primarily listen to them on very long vehicle trips, way out where there is little to no traffic. (I live in the western U.S.) We've listened to some of: brian Jacques Redwall series, the Harry Potter books, the old but good agatha christie books, greek language learning cd, and p.g. wodehouse although those make me laugh so hard it is dangerous so now I only listen to those when I am not driving.
You know, this makes me realize that I can listen to books just fine but when a person is talking to me I easily get lost and misunderstand. Hmm.

New Threads

Top Bottom