• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Atypical

A Cliché. Also, it would be nice for a show or a film to show the perspective of a woman on the spectrum dealing with situations Instead of the typical guy (like big bang, Atypical, The good doctor etc).

A Cliché. Also, it would be nice for a show or a film to show the perspective of a woman on the spectrum dealing with situations Instead of the typical guy (like big bang, Atypical, The good doctor etc).
Hmm now that you say it, and as a female. Yes, it would be nice to have a more female perspective but then again, at times I struggle to identify when I'm masking and when i am not.

Hmm now that you say it, and as a female. Yes, it would be nice to have a more female perspective but then again, at times I struggle to identify when I'm masking and when i am not.
It would have really helped me to accept mine when I was diagnosed as a teenager. Instead, people immediately thought Rainman as a portraya….

I don’t think I’ve ever seen any female perspective which isn’t theorized to be one. Like Lisa Simpson from the Simpsons Was one of those I had on my list to “help” me feel like I could achieve anything despite my ASD.

Just a quick observation: Have you seen "Extraordinary Attorney Woo". It is a South Korean television show that streamed on Netflix over this past summer. It is currently not available on that service in the U.S, but might be available elsewhere. I found it a realistic presentation of certain autism traits. The character has an IQ of 164, graduated with top honors from her university, remembers everything she has ever read, suffers from severe social anxiety, yet functions and actually outperforms her NT associates. It is a pity that it is currently no longer available, for I loved the show. I hope it reappears before the second series becomes available in a year or two. I was hooked from the very first episode.

Just a quick observation: Have you seen "Extraordinary Attorney Woo". It is a South Korean television show that streamed on Netflix over this past summer. It is currently not available on that service in the U.S, but might be available elsewhere. I found it a realistic presentation of certain autism traits. The character has an IQ of 164, graduated with top honors from her university, remembers everything she has ever read, suffers from severe social anxiety, yet functions and actually outperforms her NT associates. It is a pity that it is currently no longer available, for I loved the show. I hope it reappears before the second series becomes available in a year or two. I was hooked from the very first episode.
I haven’t but I’ll give it a search.

I do find that constant projections of ‘genius’ when attached to Asperger’s/Autism frustrating.
I’m not the rainman type, and to be honest many years ago leaned in to the idea ‘ I’m basic’ there is truly nothing that special about me. I’m honestly a wall flower and love it.

I can be ignorant and obnoxious with my self worth, I was raised with love and told I could be anything I wanted to be and truly believe that to a degree. I.E if someone doesn’t like me, that not my issue. I’m fabulous ( however, I don’t reach my own standards and that’s were my self esteem waivers)

@SacredHeart, I do understand your frustration. The Raiman model is far from the truth and he was more of an idiot savant than someone with Asperger's, extraordinary with counting things but sorely lacking in every other area.

While I have well above average intelligence, I never thought that much about it. Sure, it gave me a good career and a comfortable retirement, but like you I backed away from truly utilizing it to full potential. However, I never had problems with self-esteem (well maybe a little in my mid to late twenties). I have always known my strengths and arrogantly considered myself better than almost anyone else I met. I think that many with Asperger's might share some of that.

Anyway, you strike me as intelligent and you certainly express yourself well. I think you are more special than you give yourself credit.

There's a series titled "Bones" where the titular character is Dr. Temperance "Bones" Brennan, Ph.D, who comes off as an Asperger genius type. David Boreanaz (Angel in Buffy the Vampire Slayer) plays the star, Agent Seely Booth. Together they solve murder mysteries.

By the end of the series she has worn off her sharp edges and doesn't come off as quite as Asperger-ish.

No TV series or movie will EVER say their character is autistic in any way because of the torrent of abuse they will receive - mostly from autistic people. But in the Big Bang Theory, every major character on it could reasonably be diagnosed as some variation of the Autism theme. I think it is pretty clearly by intent.

No TV series or movie will EVER say their character is autistic in any way because of the torrent of abuse they will receive - mostly from autistic people. But in the Big Bang Theory, every major character on it could reasonably be diagnosed as some variation of the Autism theme. I think it is pretty clearly by intent.
I've never watched Bones despite being a big David Boreanaz/Buffy fan but i do have to agree with you here.

Has anyone watched Atypical???

If so how did you find it?

Cliche
Unrelatable
Realistic

Just genuinely interested in what others thought of it
I could definitely relate to some of these aspects.
However I do feel that TV shows such as this bring out the annoying stereotypes.

Agreed, and also high-functioning autism. It would be great to convey the message that everyone is different and raise awareness on ableism.

I did not like the show overall and think there are other autism related shows that are much better. It seemed like a caricature of an autistic person to me.

Woo is excellent and I hope there's another season. Incidentally the W in Woo is silent when spoken. "As We See It" is also great as is the Israeli show it was patterned after called "On The Spectrum".

Only people who have watched Woo will get the following reference, A favorite of mine from the show: the greeting/exchange between Woo and her best friend Rami. The actress that plays Rami came up with the greeting and the show used it:

Woo: "Woo to the Young to the Woo."
Rami: "Dong to the Goo to the Rami."

Last edited:
I did not like the show overall and think there are other autism related shows that are much better.

Woo is excellent and I hope there's another season. "As We See It" is also great as is the Israeli show it was patterned after called "On The Spectrum".
Thanks for the recommendations. I’d be interested in seeing love on the spectrum

New Threads

Top Bottom