• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies in the UK Police Force?

It just me 2 minutes to find this on Lifewise site -

Expenses: Where appropriate, you will be reimbursed for out of pocket expenses.

Where there is a will, there is a way!

My Bold.

The expenses didn't come out of my own pocket, they came out of the pocket of social services.

I would've stayed with it, but it cost me £18 a time in transport fees to attend a day a week every month, that's £72 a month, I couldn't afford it.

Then I don’t understand this, above you said you couldn’t continue because you couldn’t afford it, now you’re saying social services paid your expenses so you weren’t out of pocket? This doesn’t make any sense to me Rich.

Then I don’t understand this, above you said you couldn’t continue because you couldn’t afford it, now you’re saying social services paid your expenses so you weren’t out of pocket? This doesn’t make any sense to me Rich.

They did at first, but then they turned round and said I had to pay it, and work wouldn't give it me back as expenses.

Government funded entity, SYP, not my fault or problem.

You could try phoning or emailing Lifewise Center or SYP finance department and asking them what their policy is on reimbursing volunteers for their traveling expenses.

It looks like a great place, I checked out the website link you posted. It would be a shame if you couldn’t continue to work there because of a measly £72 a month, but that money should never come out of your pocket. You are donating time and experience and should not be paying for the privilege. Your traveling expenses will be tax deductible for them and classed as business expenses so I’m sure if you apply yourself, you could find a way to make this happen.

I enquired about going back last year, and they said the way they teach the kids has changed so there's not as much demand for volunteers at the Centre.

Plus I rang the transport company that used to take me there last week, their prices have gone up to £30 a trip, and I would have to have 2 trips a day on the day I went to work, that's £60, as I keep banging on about, I'm on benefits, I don't have £240 a month to spend on travel expenses.

And as mentioned, the social services moved the goalposts a few years back, I'd have to pay the costs myself, they won't pay it.

We need to have a meeting with them about this and other issues which are too personal to divulge, at some point, but as mentioned we don't have a named contact there, so all I'd get is a "Duty" social worker who does not know my history and story, therefore I'm kind of in 2 minds about doing it, on one hand we need it due to potential changes in my life, on the other hand, I'm loath to have to explain my life story to a total stranger.

I know I post about my life on my Blog, which is linked to in my signature, but that's different, even though I link to it on here, I'm almost certain nobody reads it so it's all private.

Perhaps there are volunteer “peer” positions with an autism organization? Or working with autistic teens? Someone of our age and experience is quite valuable to young people.

Perhaps there are volunteer “peer” positions with an autism organization? Or working with autistic teens? Someone of our age and experience is quite valuable to young people.

Call me big headed, but I don't mix well with lower functioning people, I prefer to mix with people who can at least hold a conversation.

New Threads

Top Bottom