• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies Central Will Be Changing Names Soon

I do still think Asperger's is different from autism, though it's all lumped together on one spectrum diagnostically now. I'm guessing with this change we'll have more people who do not have Asperger's on the site, people who are on other parts of the spectrum. Not that I wouldn't welcome those, but I feel the membership will change and the tone may change with that. Also, I think that Aspies Central conveys an Aspie-oriented space, as opposed to a place that is about Autism - I think with the new name, all manner of people with all manner of reasons for being interested or curious about Autism, including more NTs, will come to the forum and expect it to be oriented more towards themselves, or that it is a neutral ground, whereas now I feel it is definitely Aspie territory. That will change the underlying tone of the forum as well is my prediction (though of course I could be wrong). Rather than a place for Aspies to come together, I think it just be a place for anyone interested in ASD, whether they are on it or not - then I think there will be less of an expectation that this be a friendly and safe place for Aspies, more like anything goes once people get comfortable.

My main suggestion if you update this forum - please, please, please consider creating an entirely separate forum area for NTs who want advice about how to get their suspected/diagnosed Aspie significant other back, or to deal with their suspected/diagnosed Aspie friend/significant other in some other way. And maybe have a thumbtacked post on their explaining that one cannot diagnose another person with ASD no matter how much they may seem like Sheldon or match some quiz, and that furthermore, every person with ASD is totally unique and we cannot collectively explain their motivations just because we are Aspies. Take it or leave it, or course.

I have to agree. It was a huge weight (if you will) when I got diagnosed a few years ago with having Aspergers. I always wondered why I was the way I was and having this place, aspiecentral.com made me feel (for the first time) that I was not alone. That I had a place in which I was could come and feel like I was semi-normal. There are a huge amount of Autism sites out there but there are none that solely focus or at least mostly focus on the Aspie side which is what made this site so amazing in it's own right.

If you are going to change the name, which it looks like you already have, it would be nice to have Aspiecentral.com redirect to an Aspie only forum site. My son was actually diagnosed with high functioning autism a few weeks ago and well as there are some similarities between some of the symptoms, we are clearly different in how our brains work. I really think that there needs to be more forums, chat rooms, and social places where Aspies can go as the medical field is lumping us into Autistic and we are not.

Sorry for the rant, I just wanted to say my piece and agree with Ambi. Thanks.

IDK if that means we are opening to NT's ans Allistics. Autie here. I think it would be nice for more autistic ppl from across the spectrum to join as well. Def get the feeling about Allistic folks/ NT's here changing things negatively tho.

IDK if that means we are opening to NT's ans Allistics. Autie here. I think it would be nice for more autistic ppl from across the spectrum to join as well. Def get the feeling about Allistic folks/ NT's here changing things negatively tho.

This forum has always been welcoming to all.
I will agree that some of those that aren't on the spectrum will attempt to be disruptive,but at the same time,there is nothing to say that those exclusively on the spectrum can cause their own unique forms of mayhem.

I have been active on here since the day I joined,and trust me,we have all kinds who enter our halls,some for lengthy stays while other are only here for a short spell.

There are no doubt many that join only to watch from the wings and not participate,while we always have an influx of visitors who never contribute a thing here.

Please place your trust in the staff here to maintain the forum at the same standards that they have always been.

Like many here,I consider this as my home,and I won't tolerate it being abused or destroyed any more that you would yours ;)

I have to agree. It was a huge weight (if you will) when I got diagnosed a few years ago with having Aspergers. I always wondered why I was the way I was and having this place, aspiecentral.com made me feel (for the first time) that I was not alone. That I had a place in which I was could come and feel like I was semi-normal. There are a huge amount of Autism sites out there but there are none that solely focus or at least mostly focus on the Aspie side which is what made this site so amazing in it's own right.

If you are going to change the name, which it looks like you already have, it would be nice to have Aspiecentral.com redirect to an Aspie only forum site. My son was actually diagnosed with high functioning autism a few weeks ago and well as there are some similarities between some of the symptoms, we are clearly different in how our brains work. I really think that there needs to be more forums, chat rooms, and social places where Aspies can go as the medical field is lumping us into Autistic and we are not.

Sorry for the rant, I just wanted to say my piece and agree with Ambi. Thanks.
This kind of says it all for me,and hopefully it will clear it up for you too.
AC.JPG

This forum has always been welcoming to all.
I will agree that some of those that aren't on the spectrum will attempt to be disruptive,but at the same time,there is nothing to say that those exclusively on the spectrum can cause their own unique forms of mayhem.

I have been active on here since the day I joined,and trust me,we have all kinds who enter our halls,some for lengthy stays while other are only here for a short spell.

There are no doubt many that join only to watch from the wings and not participate,while we always have an influx of visitors who never contribute a thing here.

Please place your trust in the staff here to maintain the forum at the same standards that they have always been.

Like many here,I consider this as my home,and I won't tolerate it being abused or destroyed any more that you would yours ;)
My bad. Must have gotten this mixed up with another forum that was specifically for aspies and auties. Sorry.

New Threads

Top Bottom