• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's has officially been dropped from the DSM. What now?

I am also alittle upset right now because I have gotten the feel from this thread that my edcuational background doesn't mean anything even though I am also a diagnosed aspie.

Hey vamp, you know you are a popular and valuable part of this forum, but you are still only one person and you know yourself that we Aspies are very wilful and we love to look at everything from every angle, and besides, if everybody agreed with you exclusively it would go to your head and you wouldn't be able to fit into your hats anymore LOL xoxoxo

It is better to listen to 100 voices and be wrong 10% of the time than to only listen to one and be wrong 90% of the time
Points to anybody who can tell me the quote I just butchered, I forget what the exact words are and who said it ; ]

The catherine lord argument that this is just an ego based identity issue is just bogus projection.

I think AS is a distinct entity from Autism proper and I'm not sure how it is to be measured what impact this had on me? "Coping" is a minimum standard, it is not sufficient to say that excludes the presence of a condition.

To be honest I really think that this belays a total lack of understanding and a backwards and compromised approach.

I approve approaches that aid understanding not balance sheets.

There is a lot of concern in this forum about what to do after the new DSM is put into effect and many members of this forum are officialy dropped from the Spectrum; or, children of members are never considered qualified for any assistance or special attention. I would like to try to provide some ideas for alternative courses of action to help anyone in need to get through life.

First, I am almost certainly among the oldest members of the forum. Then: I am self-diagnosed from the online tests that I took. For most of my life there was no such thing as Asperger's Syndrome, even Autism only meant the extreme cases. Recently discovering that AS existed and exploring it some has answered many of the questions I always had about myself.

I did manage to get a college degree. It was tough. That degree opened some doors. I have always liked to say that college warps the mind. It does, but in specific ways that help guide thinking processes in specific ways. That can be good. Not to throw rocks, not at all(!!!!!), without some shaping and sometimes just shining some light in specific ways, our thinking is too unique to fit the needs of the workplace. A college degree is a 'Credential.' There are other 'Credentials' that are equally useful. Specific courses of training or schooling are needed to obtain them. Consider trying to find specific kinds of employment that may have a niche that you, as an Aspie or otherwise member of the Spectrum, can fit into and do perhaps better than an NT. Then try to obtain credentials, other training, experience to qualify you or the subject person for that or those jobs. All of this must be positive as seen by a potential employer. What you might consider 'good' is irrelevant. What matters is how your background looks to that hiring agent and then how well you perform will be the important thing.

What kind of jobs? Some of that depends on you. How well do you deal with bright light? With being in the dark? With noise or with silence? Can you handle interminable detail well? Think in terms of employment that will fit you. I handle noise and being alone well. I do well with machinery and am compulsive about following rules and technical guidelines. I did well for a couple of decades as a driver of 18-wheelers because I did not get lonely out there on the highway, did exactly what I was supposed to do to operate the truck safely and not do it harm (it is easily possible to destroy one of those big trucks before even getting the wheels turning if the controls are not operated properly). Because I am an Aspie, do not communicate well with people, I operated a company truck. I did not have to play the social and communication games that Normals play and that I cannot cope with. Note that I did this in a specific time frame in history. Things change and it is not now possible to duplicate what I did. Also, noise inside those trucks is extreme. Most of my driving was at night. Most people cannot deal with being awake all night and sleeping in the daytime. I became a very real "Night Person." I am retired and after several career-length jobs that were all at night, I still find it much more comfortable to be awake all night and sleep all day. I detest bright sunlight and glare. (Dealing with a daytime world now with minimal committments, I sleep a few hours and go and do and then sleep a few hours and surf the Web, and sleep a few hours and . . .).

The point I am trying to make is that sometimes if you can fit into jobs or job niches that the NT's do not do well with, you might find an edge. Perhaps watching a computer or video screen all night where you do not feel alone or mind the low light. The primary thing about being a night worker and sleeping in the day is getting the daytime people to leave you alone while you sleep. And do sleep; don't go and do just because you can and it is daylight in the world. If you really want, in any major city, there is much that runs 24-7-365 but the daytimers don't go play all night! NT's seldom do well at night because many of the jobs demand they be wide awake and they never train/discipline themselves to sleep in the day or really try to reverse the natural tendency to be awake in bright sunlight.

Many of us on the spectrum are compulsive about repetitive actions. Perhaps that could be an edge where NT's get bored to the point where they do not do the job or quit, but you find no problem in doing it forever. . . and making money to finance your life.

I think I have talked too much. I will stop. My bottom line is: Try to think outside the box. Consider trying to find a way to run your life that capitalizes on your strengths and by-passes your problems.

That's right. I actually looked at some of your posts, and they're quite insightful. It's just that this kind of an issue has sooooooooooooo many different standpoints. Some of them require theoretical thinking and others do require thinking that comes from the books.

The catherine lord argument that this is just an ego based identity issue is just bogus projection.

I think AS is a distinct entity from Autism proper

Hm? If you are going to refer to things the rest of us have probably not read you need to tell us where we can find it. I had never heard of Dr. Lord before the psychology today article, and she didn't say it there, so I don't know where she made that argument, or if you are accurately presenting what she said.

As far as a distinction between autism and AS, I am persuaded by arguments. Feel free to make one. But your saying you think it does not sway me at all.

To reply to Arashi, I don't think anyone here is disrespecting your education. I certainly am not. But there does seem to be a lot of confusion about this issue.

My last diagnosis was around 1965-1966 when I was told that I had a perceptual disorder. I was only a child at the time and it was not explained well to me at all. As others have pointed out, Aspergers was a long way from being a formal diagnosis. So who or what am I? Not normal but what? Does my "perceptual disorder" still exist?

I think the issue is that first of all, a diagnosis--any diagnosis--can be incredibly hard and expensive to get, so yes, people are justifiably concerned. Not all of us have the resources to go back and get rediagnosed every time that the labels change. My personal attitude is the DSM be damned. But I am not a parent seeking help for a child that they don't understand. I am functioning on my own well enough that society says I don't need any extra help.

I think it is easy for those of us who are educated professionals to forget that the vast majority of people--at least in the United States--are not all that well educated on ANY subject and these are the ones who are often left out in the cold when it comes to discussing these things. Can you tell me what was wrong with me back in 1965? Could you explain it to my parents, who are educated people (teachers) and have more of a grasp of these things than say someone who only has a high school education (if that)? They sure didn't understand it. My mother went back to school to get her Masters in Special Education in order to help me. Obviously this approach is not practical for everyone.

What about the young mother of two autistic children I know who is trapped in an abusive marriage, she has no education, no job skills, no money, and no transportation? She lives out in the country where there is no public transportation. These kids need more help than what they are getting in the public school. But she does not know how to ask for help. When she goes to talk to the doctors or the counselors she can no more understand what they are saying than if they were talking Chinese. And now she hears that the rules of the game are changing. She doesn't understand the things you do, Arashi, she can't even begin to understand these things. All she knows is that she has two children who are not learning as they ought due to something called "autism" which nobody in her family, nobody in her experience has ever heard of. These are the kind of people I am talking about. These kids don't have a very good future ahead of them. They are going to fall through the cracks. I may not be a social worker, I may not have a degree, but this is what I see all too much of.

Dusty
I love your outlook. I am also an older Aspie (44). And also not diagnossed. I think of Aspies of my generation and all the generations who never knew about Asperger's. That brings me back to a long time beleif of mine that as people we are only limited by our minds. As one of my favorite quotes goes "if you think you can, or if you think you can't , your right". This brings me back to one of the main reasons I did not persue a diagnosis for my son when he was younger thinking that by labeling him people he would encounter in his life might feed to him the idea that he has limitations and that idea would intigrate into who he beleives himself to be and therfore who he would beome . I feel people become who they beleive themselfs to be, do what they beleive they can do etc. What I am saying is in our day Aspies did not know they were Aspies and the type of mindset you describe i.e. find what you do well, find a job suited for your personal traits, etc. would be the natural thought process (asumeing of course this is a person who is motivated to do well in life). And so this is the natural thought process I wanted for my son as opposed to..."i have a disability...I have limitations...etx." Let me clarify here... The although I knew he had something different going on I had no clue what it was or what 'label' he would be given. I did not know about Asperger's.

Now he is 13 seems to be more of a nesesity to have him diagnnosed in order to get him by in this world. In this day and our society someone who appears or acts different is expetec to have a label for others to accept their differences. When I say people I mainley applies to school right now for him. If they don't have a 'label' that explaines this person they will constantley be trying to comform him to 'fit' into what their idea is of how he should be. For example he dose not 'fit' into regular school. Everything around is way to much sencory overload for him and he cant focus on anything. By the end of the day he can hardley tell you anything that went on in any of his classes. He would do much better in what they call here alternitive school. It is one small class, one teacher. The work is layed out and suudents work at thir pace. . But I can't go to the school and say..."hey I know my kid and know he needs this type of school", I have tried it...It dosnt get me anywhere...No I have to be able to say..."Hey he has such and such diagnosis and these are the traits whhich apply to this condition and this is why he really needs to be in alternitive school" Anyway I feel ok about getting him diagnosed now that he is a little older and his a chance to develope a veiw of himslef without a 'label' being intragated into it.

I aslo will say although I see some benifits of the 'old way' when people were not always diagnosed with everything. I do also see the benifits in understanding myself ofter learning about Asperger's (which I am certain I have) and really would have helped me in the past to know what I know now. With the official Asperger's definition going away I hat to see the insight it has brought us as individuals go away.

Last edited:
Just wanted to share my recent experience on this. My son was just officially diagnosed.
I am waiting on the papers, but this is what I was told late Dec 2012
Your son has been diag with hf autism, there are several levels on the spectrum he is on the high end but autistic non the less. This evaluation will state hf autism but for all purposes Asperger is the final diag. However with new changes coming about his diag will state hf autism, this diag will allow him full support for treatment and medical care and make all available resources for hf autism open for him to receive. They ended with now for research or reference purposes on your own and for ours it is noted Asperger.

So yes maybe the name is being removed, but they are still diagnosing it just medical record speaking insurance purpose that stuff will say hf autism but asperger will be the diag, does that make sense?

Just wanted to share my recent experience on this. My son was just officially diagnosed.
I am waiting on the papers, but this is what I was told late Dec 2012
Your son has been diag with hf autism, there are several levels on the spectrum he is on the high end but autistic non the less. This evaluation will state hf autism but for all purposes Asperger is the final diag. However with new changes coming about his diag will state hf autism, this diag will allow him full support for treatment and medical care and make all available resources for hf autism open for him to receive. They ended with now for research or reference purposes on your own and for ours it is noted Asperger.

So yes maybe the name is being removed, but they are still diagnosing it just medical record speaking insurance purpose that stuff will say hf autism but asperger will be the diag, does that make sense?

Makes sence to me. I would have to guess that it will depend o lot on what the doctor thinks is the way to do it. I also have to think it may depend on the timeing... like how will it be in another year after the officail Asperger's has been dropped as opposed to right now?

New Threads

Top Bottom