• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's has officially been dropped from the DSM. What now?

I'm confused. Does this mean it's not considered a syndrome anymore? If it was dropped from the list.

It still exists, just a different name now. From what I can tell.
syn?drome [sin-drohm, -druh m] Show IPA
noun
Pathology, Psychiatry. a group of symptoms that together are characteristic of a specific disorder, disease, or the like.

So yeah by this definition, it's still a syndrome

noun
Pathology, Psychiatry. a group of symptoms that together are characteristic of a specific disorder, disease, or the like.

I see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Personally, I'm of mixed feelings about this:

On the one hand, I can understand rolling all ASD's into a single, unified description...but at the same time, I wonder how the elimination of designations like Asperger's Syndrome, or Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified, will affect a person's ability to get treatment under the new specifications? I suppose it will all work out one way or the other, in due time.

Personally I dislike the change and i think it leaves a lot of people unable to get treatment or dx. I wait for brain scan based diagnosis.

these changes make me worry that it will be that much harder for me to finally get a DX. over the years I have learned to adapt but still know that I am different and think differently than NT's. This causes many fights with my mom when we misunderstand each other............just because I am looking for clarification or otherwise angry (not at her, just the statement that was said) and causes many problems, they won't be able to see this at the doctors in order to give me a proper diagnosis. perhaps unless I find a good doctor.

From what I've gathered, being diagnosed isn't a lot different in the next few years, as it is now.

The "severe" cases will probably still be diagnosed. Those who can manage with their disorder will perhaps not be diagnosed, but they don't need the DX in the first place.

Also; if what I'm stating is not the case and diagnosis will be way stricter, then I don't see how the ones that are diagnosed now aren't retested then. It's the same crooked system that validates the disability income here apparently. Everyone in is fine, we just need to make sure the new ones are tested strictly. Well, no... if we're going to change the rules, then let everyone play again, see how that evens the playingfield.

Yes, I know that for most US people this would be a disaster, since healthcare is expensive as is. That's the practical issue I'd run into. I believe that mental disorders shouldn't be connected to a price tag. Clearly the ones who have enough funds around don't really need a DX anyway, since they're set.

But hey, what do I know, lol.

My understanding of the autism spectrum is that aspbergers and HF autism are the same thing, just different docs on different continents coined the terms. The only difference is a speech delay component with HF autism. Many parents, however, didn't want their children diagnosed as autistic so aspbergers became the more prevalent diagnosis even with a speech delay. If this is the case, then they should roll the diagnosis together. The docs aren't even sure which is which sometimes.

I have an official diagnosis of AS. Do I need to be re-evaluated? Does anyone know?

I am wondering the same thing. My son has an appointment in March and I expect a diagnosis of asperger's.... but if that happens will he then be changed or reevaluated afterwords..... or will the place put of the diagnosis...... and if everyone would have to be rediagnosed I would think that woule be impossabel becouse that would flood the offices.

The new wording, as it was proposed
DSM-V Revisions for Autism Spectrum Disorders & Asperger's Need to Remember that we are the 1 in 1 - Autism Empowerment
Catherine Lord, an autism expert at Weill Cornell Medical College in New York who was on the psychiatric group's autism task force, said anyone who met criteria for Asperger's in the old manual would be included in the new diagnosis.

Read more here: CHICAGO: Asperger's dropped from revised diagnosis manual | Health | Rock Hill Herald Online
this woman says no new diagnosis needed "

So if that's the case sounds like all the people diagnosed with asperger's they will just call them a differeent name now.

noun

Just the word Asperger's dosn't exist anymore..... It exists to oeople who have it and want to use it but officially in the DSM it dosn't exist after the change.

Personally I dislike the change and i think it leaves a lot of people unable to get treatment or dx. I wait for brain scan based diagnosis.

That's what I was wondering.... If the autistic or aspie brain appears different why cant they look at your brain and diagnose you? No criteria needed..... no fakeing?

these changes make me worry that it will be that much harder for me to finally get a DX. over the years I have learned to adapt but still know that I am different and think differently than NT's. This causes many fights with my mom when we misunderstand each other............just because I am looking for clarification or otherwise angry (not at her, just the statement that was said) and causes many problems, they won't be able to see this at the doctors in order to give me a proper diagnosis. perhaps unless I find a good doctor.

I understand and feel like that too........ If they would look at the brain they could see it.

this is what I found.....

Here is the proposed diagnostic criteria for the ?new? Autism Spectrum Disorder. Please note that a lot of these criteria will be very subjective and as the disorder must have initially displayed during childhood, adults or older children going in for a diagnosis are going to have to think back and use their best judgment in filling out the accompanying questionnaires.

Autism Spectrum Disorder
Must meet criteria A, B, C and D:

A. Persistent deficits in social communication and social interaction across contexts, not accounted for by general developmental delays, and manifest by all 3 of the following:
1. Deficits in social-emotional reciprocity; ranging from abnormal social approach and failure of normal back and forth conversation through reduced sharing of interests, emotions, and affect and response to total lack of initiation of social interaction,
2. Deficits in nonverbal communicative behaviors used for social interaction; ranging from poorly integrated- verbal and nonverbal communication, through abnormalities in eye contact and body-language, or deficits in understanding and use of nonverbal communication, to total lack of facial expression or gestures.
3. Deficits in developing and maintaining relationships, appropriate to developmental level (beyond those with caregivers); ranging from difficulties adjusting behavior to suit different social contexts through difficulties in sharing imaginative play and in making friends to an apparent absence of interest in people

B. Restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior, interests, or activities as manifested by at least two of the following:
1. Stereotyped or repetitive speech, motor movements, or use of objects; (such as simple motor stereotypies, echolalia, repetitive use of objects, or idiosyncratic phrases).
2. Excessive adherence to routines, ritualized patterns of verbal or nonverbal behavior, or excessive resistance to change; (such as motoric rituals, insistence on same route or food, repetitive questioning or extreme distress at small changes).
3. Highly restricted, fixated interests that are abnormal in intensity or focus; (such as strong attachment to or preoccupation with unusual objects, excessively circumscribed or perseverative interests).
4. Hyper-or hypo-reactivity to sensory input or unusual interest in sensory aspects of environment; (such as apparent indifference to pain/heat/cold, adverse response to specific sounds or textures, excessive smelling or touching of objects, fascination with lights or spinning objects).
C. Symptoms must be present in early childhood (but may not become fully manifest until social demands exceed limited capacities)
D. Symptoms together limit and impair everyday functioning.

source: Sign In

Additionally a severity level is added:

Severity Level for ASD

Social Communication

Restricted interests & repetitive behaviors

Level 3
?Requiring very substantial support?

Severe deficits in verbal and nonverbal social communication skills cause severe impairments in functioning; very limited initiation of social interactions and minimal response to social overtures from others.

Preoccupations, fixated rituals and/or repetitive behaviors markedly interfere with functioning in all spheres. Marked distress when rituals or routines are interrupted; very difficult to redirect from fixated interest or returns to it quickly.

Level 2
?Requiring substantial support?

Marked deficits in verbal and nonverbal social communication skills; social impairments apparent even with supports in place; limited initiation of social interactions and reduced or abnormal response to social overtures from others.

RRBs and/or preoccupations or fixated interests appear frequently enough to be obvious to the casual observer and interfere with functioning in a variety of contexts. Distress or frustration is apparent when RRB?s are interrupted; difficult to redirect from fixated interest.

Level 1
?Requiring support?

Without supports in place, deficits in social communication cause noticeable impairments. Has difficulty initiating social interactions and demonstrates clear examples of atypical or unsuccessful responses to social overtures of others. May appear to have decreased interest in social interactions.

Rituals and repetitive behaviors (RRB?s) cause significant interference with functioning in one or more contexts. Resists attempts by others to interrupt RRB?s or to be redirected from fixated interest.

From what I've gathered, being diagnosed isn't a lot different in the next few years, as it is now.

The "severe" cases will probably still be diagnosed. Those who can manage with their disorder will perhaps not be diagnosed, but they don't need the DX in the first place.

Also; if what I'm stating is not the case and diagnosis will be way stricter, then I don't see how the ones that are diagnosed now aren't retested then. It's the same crooked system that validates the disability income here apparently. Everyone in is fine, we just need to make sure the new ones are tested strictly. Well, no... if we're going to change the rules, then let everyone play again, see how that evens the playingfield.

Yes, I know that for most US people this would be a disaster, since healthcare is expensive as is. That's the practical issue I'd run into. I believe that mental disorders shouldn't be connected to a price tag. Clearly the ones who have enough funds around don't really need a DX anyway, since they're set.

But hey, what do I know, lol.

I just read the new criteria list for the changed edition. If I remember right you had to meet two of the first list on the current criteria. On the new one you have to fit all three. One of them is something about tnot haveing friends....... my son has this and he has it like in an abvious way...... but he dose have friends. He is a 13 year old boy in a small town. All these kids hang together and don't care if he's different. He has friends but has No social skills. So are they gonna tell me he doosn't have anything becouse he has friends? And if he dosn't meet All three of the criteria , but meets everything else what will he be diagnosed with if there is no aspurger's or PDD NOS?? When he was like 8 or 9 he had no friends, then he hung with his cousin and that friend group took him in...... So is that to say if I'd gotten him diagnnosed at 8 or 9 with this new criteria he would be diagnosed but now that these kids have befriended him he dosnt fit the diagnosis??

ok "decifits in developeing and maintaining relationships appropriate to developomental level" thats what it says....

Anyone get what I'm saying??

I would think the doctor might take into account the fact that you live in a small town...It really is different, socially-speaking, than living in a large city because you're kind of forced to know everyone.

It IS confusing. And, extremely arbitrary in terms of how each individual shrink interprets what "deficits in developing and maintaining relationships appropriate to developmental level" means. There is no scientifically established & verifiable standard for this.

Also, it doesn't take into consideration the type of peer group the child is in & the role he plays within it. A kid can be in a peer group of 6 kids all in the same age group BUT his 'role' may be that of annoying little tag along whom they use to fetch stuff. The parent & the child may report that he regularly hangs out with 6 same age friends BUT not that the relationship he has with them is entirely dysfunctional & unhealthy. Also, you get peer groups formed of misfit kids who are often up to no good whatsoever. SURE they're the same age & they're together BUT the child who decides he'd rather go to the library & look up architectural features of historic buildings is in a healthier environment.

As for those who don't get diagnosed because they are not 'severe' enough or those who fall out of their diagnosis because they don't meet the new standards, they may still need many support services as well in order to avoid becoming severe, falling into anxiety disorders, depression or self-medicating strategies. Once these people have wrecked their lives, THEN they will be deemed worthy of helping. This, to me, is downright irresponsible. The new standards serve the interests of big pharma whose drugs will be doubtlessly prescribed in great quantities to 'treat' former Aspies & former PDD-NOS cases now lumped in with Auties & of insurance companies who prefer to pay for cheap drugs rather than costly therapies. Unless they can profit from drugging you, you aren't worth diagnosing & supporting in other more costly ways.

Last edited:
I would think the doctor might take into account the fact that you live in a small town...It really is different, socially-speaking, than living in a large city because you're kind of forced to know everyone.

I think that but I guess is depends on what doctor it is what they would want to do.

It IS confusing. And, extremely arbitrary in terms of how each individual shrink interprets what "deficits in developing and maintaining relationships appropriate to developmental level" means. There is no scientifically established & verifiable standard for this.

Also, it doesn't take into consideration the type of peer group the child is in & the role he plays within it. A kid can be in a peer group of 6 kids all in the same age group BUT his 'role' may be that of annoying little tag along whom they use to fetch stuff. The parent & the child may report that he regularly hangs out with 6 same age friends BUT not that the relationship he has with them is entirely dysfunctional & unhealthy. Also, you get peer groups formed of misfit kids who are often up to no good whatsoever. SURE they're the same age & they're together BUT the child who decides he'd rather go to the library & look up architectural features of historic buildings is in a healthier environment.

As for those who don't get diagnosed because they are not 'severe' enough or those who fall out of their diagnosis because they don't meet the new standards, they may still need many support services as well in order to avoid becoming severe, falling into anxiety disorders, depression or self-medicating strategies. Once these people have wrecked their lives, THEN they will be deemed worthy of helping. This, to me, is downright irresponsible. The new standards serve the interests of big pharma whose drugs will be doubtlessly prescribed in great quantities to 'treat' former Aspies & former PDD-NOS cases now lumped in with Auties & of insurance companies who prefer to pay for cheap drugs rather than costly therapies. Unless they can profit from drugging you, you aren't worth diagnosing & supporting in other more costly ways.

I spent a lot of time yesterday learning a lot about this change at what it REALLY means to US Real people with these issues and I have been quite upset since then. I am gonna put on here a pst of what I discovered in a hutshell. I hope you all will read it and mabey get some clairity like I did and comment.

Anyway his diagnosis is SUPPOSED to happen before May. So if they do it the way it is supposed to be he should go under the current criteria. I am just thinking about if they were to put off the diagnosis or refer him to someone else or something and then that be after May. I want this diagnosis becouse I want to use it as a reason to ask for him to be kept in alternitive school and not but back into regular shcool where he is just compleatley overwhelmed with all kinds of problems.

I know! It's a never-ending conflict that seems to cause more problems than create solutions. For example, how are treatment options going to be affected by this change? Will Aspies be given the same treatments as those with a different autism spectrum disorder such as high-functioning autism (HFA), or will the treatments differ from those offered to people with other autism spectrum disorders (ASDs)?

Besides, the display of symptoms of AS in each person with AS can vary. For instance, social interaction may be easier for one Aspie than it is for another.

I know! It's a never-ending conflict that seems to cause more problems than create solutions. For example, how are treatment options going to be affected by this change? Will Aspies be given the same treatments as those with a different autism spectrum disorder such as high-functioning autism (HFA), or will the treatments differ from those offered to people with other autism spectrum disorders (ASDs)?

Besides, the display of symptoms of AS in each person with AS can vary. For instance, social interaction may be easier for one Aspie than it is for another.

Treatment in a way is a totally different deal. This is about diagnosis.

But that doesn't mean one can't worry what they think up in terms of treatment.

To be honest, I don't think they figured out effective ways in dealing with the problem in terms of treatment now, and they're already dropping something and clumping it together.

Perhaps I'm an idealist here, but if a disorder can't be treated as such, shouldn't we keep it around and spend resources on it to find means to "fix" it? It feels like they're throwing in the towel; We don't know how to make this work, so let's clump it with other problems and hope it'll go away. Maybe we can throw some methods at it, see what happens.

Who says there will be treatments even? I can totally see mental disorders in general go the way of "we can't be bothered to treat this" even moreso because the group that's being generalized is becoming bigger.

Clumping everyone into autism makes a therapist figure out first what kind of autism someone has; I actually believe that if you have an Asperger's diagnosis, that's more clear than being somewhere on the HFA spectrum.

Not sure but I read the new criteria and there is something there to specified people into different levels. Maybe that is supposed to
have something to do with helping deside the treatment.

Well, i guess this is why my therapist kept putting the subject off.
-sigh-

I still want a diagnosis of something. I KNOW that i'm different and identify as an aspie.
If I were you I would go somewhere else and try to get it done before May. Because I don't care what reports are saying the new criteria is stricter. All you have to do is read the new one and read the old one it's right there in black and white it is undoubtedly going to be a stricter diagnosis after may. I really believe they are just not putting it out to the public in those terms because they just don't want to store a bunch of people up.

Not sure but I read the new criteria and there is something there to specified people into different levels. Maybe that is supposed to
have something to do with helping deside the treatment.

Yes, there is a division in levels, but that is the case right now with "regular" autism as well. The thing however is, that right now, if your IQ is above 80 (or at least above a really low value), you're being seen as High functioning. IQ does not measure the impact my impairment has on my life, my employment and how well I can deal with things in college.

Heck; I'm bright enough for anything academic (or so I should believe according to some IQ tests), yet I am not able maintain any routine nor schedule amongst other things. The notion of a high IQ and rather well-spokenness (her words, not mine :p), threw my therapist off. Testing concluded that I was way far up the autism scale.

I'm curious how they're going to tackle those issues for anyone falling into a weird grey category.

I think therapistis are stupid sometimes. and when I say stupid I don't really mean stupid I mean illimformed. I'm just not crazy about the idea of therapists. I'm sure some mean well but probably just don't really understand.

People need to stop freaking out about the changes. They are actually moving moving toward a more spectrum stance on most diagnosis autism just happens to be the first because lets be honest it is a spectrum disorder. Honestly the criteria which I as someone who is educated to understand it is not really more strict it just seems that away. This will not last either there is always a revised version of the DSM . This is not about medication this is about making it easier and more streamlined to determine where you stand on that spectrum. I am not concerned. Really there is nothing to be so worried about.

New Threads

Top Bottom