• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensitive Topic aspergers backlash?

I'm a teacher--and I'm getting a bit sick of the ignorance. With the kids it's understandable, but adults, educators (!), who think AS/ Aut. need to kept an eye on --or blamed: if we could just keep those people away from guns . . . I haven't told any one about my condition (if they think about me at all, they can probably guess, who knows?) but they (colleagues) know my kid has AS, and they go on about crap they heard on the TV. Oh and we've redoubled our efforts to spot disaffected loners (eh, why you lookin at me?) before they go wild. I don't know waht the answer is, but I think murdering is not part of the AS profile. No, but some of you may know that the first thing the shrinks ask you as a kid (or ask your folks) is "Do you like to hurt animals?" I got the right answer to that one, at least.

I'm a teacher--and I'm getting a bit sick of the ignorance. With the kids it's understandable, but adults, educators (!), who think AS/ Aut. need to kept an eye on --or blamed: if we could just keep those people away from guns . . . I haven't told any one about my condition (if they think about me at all, they can probably guess, who knows?) but they (colleagues) know my kid has AS, and they go on about crap they heard on the TV. Oh and we've redoubled our efforts to spot disaffected loners (eh, why you lookin at me?) before they go wild. I don't know waht the answer is, but I think murdering is not part of the AS profile. No, but some of you may know that the first thing the shrinks ask you as a kid (or ask your folks) is "Do you like to hurt animals?" I got the right answer to that one, at least.

I totally get what you mean! I don't tell too many people about my AS yet. I got my dx 2 weeks before the shooting incident. So the people I have told, I've always added the statement: And no I don't go around shooting babies in their school desks". The majority of NT's don't even know anything about AS. Just that the shooter had it.......so now all of us are branded as killers. Makes me mad!!

I disagree with a lot of these comments. Despite what happened at Sandy Hook, I still firmly believe in the 2nd Amendment. Disarming the citizens isn't going to do anything but turn them into easy targets for criminals who are still able to get guns illegally.

I disagree with a lot of these comments. Despite what happened at Sandy Hook, I still firmly believe in the 2nd Amendment. Disarming the citizens isn't going to do anything but turn them into easy targets for criminals who are still able to get guns illegally.
Huh? Not a single post has mentioned the 2nd Amendment, unless I missed something. "A lot of these comments" are about public perceptions of Aspergers. As for attitudes about guns, remember that many people on this forum are not from America, and the 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with their lives. I would add that in those countries (where non-American AC forum members live), the rate of gun violence is considerably lower. You really can't expect them to feel the way that some Americans do. List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Im afraid it's people expressing opinions like your that make me despair about the human race. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion of course, and you have a right to yours. I am just glad you are hopefully in a minority, and that societies will choose to take away the toys of misbehaving children (just cause you are over 18 doesn't automatically qualify you as a grown up mature person). In this case, toys means guns.

Your comment has made me even more glad I live in the UK and not the USA. I prefer to live in a more civilised country.

V sorry for the double post, but maybe this will be an interesting read:http://www.guncite.com/journals/vandhist.html

To cut it short, this second amendment is being horribly misquoted. It was intended to protect the citizens of America from its own GOVERNEMENT.

I think I've asked an American on AC before about this issue. Just exactly what are the statistics of Americans using guns to protect themselves successfully from criminals? I'd like to see the actual numbers on this. And then compare this figure with the numbers of innocent lives lost through the insane policy of letting a population arm themselves out of fear.

Last edited:
I personally don't own a gun but have been raised in a pro-gun house and am quite fond of target practice. I've been resisting jumping in on this issue but here's a thought of mine-

To me the point of allowing people to have guns is not firstly to defend ourselves from criminals, but because if many are allowed to be armed (concealed carry), then in any given group of strangers, you never know *who* is armed, and that bit of knowledge might make everyone a little more mindful of their actions. If you walk into a group thinking "well s#!t, none of them have guns I can do whatever the heck I want until the cops get here", very different outcomes.

Your comment has made me even more glad I live in the UK and not the USA. I prefer to live in a more civilised country.

I also am glad you do not live in the states, oh, and I have to agree that Britain is far more civilised than America... now that the English are done with global domination
Ummm, did you guys give back Hong Kong yet? are Indians in charge of India yet?

I joke, but really, England is far superior to the United States, obviously you guys were born into a country that was well established, just lucky I guess, that you were not among the bunch of invading pioneers that had to eek out a living amongst the pre-existing natives cultures that were under attack and the English criminals that were already shipped there.

My personal thought is that living in a gun culture is a bad thing and perpetuates itself to its own detriment and that anyone that advocates American gun culture are Americans born and bred and therefore know how unsafe it is from personal experience, on the other side, anybody that says they shouldn?t have guns doesn?t live there or comes from a country that perpetrated their violence centuries ago and wised up since. America is the modern equivalent of England!

First of all, I've never heard anyone in the US gov't say they wanted to DISARM the population entirely. Where are they getting this from? they just want to divest them of military assault weapons that can kill a roomful of people in seconds. As for the 2nd amendment, it was adopted some time back in 1791 & it didn't apply to everyone. Also, when it was written, the so-called 'founding fathers' could never have foreseen the America that exists today nor could they have foreseen the kind of weaponry available to people these days.

the idea of arming oneself (as part of a well-trained militia) against The British & King George III is antiquated. This was the 'tyrannical gov't' to which the FF's made reference. Anyone who is dumb enough to believe that they are going to gather a band of yahoos together, creep around in the bushes doing 'military exercises' & turn their rag-tag selves into an army capable of even giving the US army, Navy, Air Force & Marines so much as a headache is a half-wit who really ought to put down his guns & go get a reality check. The US military is the strongest & most heavily armed on earth, bar none. They could easily fly over, drop a few carefully aimed bombs & blow all these paranoid anti-federal gov't paranoids right into their next life! The army they'll be fighting is not a bunch of guys in red flannel suits bearing flutes, drums, muskets & bayonets possibly on horseback. These wild west show-down fantasies are the epitome of naivete.

I've watched documentaries about 'The Patriots' & other so-called militia groups. Most of them are not so covert white power movements scared to death that Obama is a 'stealth Muslim' secretly a member of Al Qaeda & there's the entire 'New World Order' subtext that accompanies it. Many people are substituting paranoia, religious zealotry, innuendo & not so covert racism for true political & economic understanding & it's giving America an unfair reputation as a nation run largely by idiots.

When a former presidential candidate like Mike Huckabee can claim (with a straight face) that the killing of those 20 kids was 'God's Judgment' on America for having removed prayer from schools, things have come undone. When a vice presidential candidate can differentiate between 'forcible rape & legitimate rape' & be bolstered by other idiots who claim that "a woman's body has a procedure to 'shut that whole thing' down (prevent pregnancy) in the case of legitimate rape because she will 'secrete a secretion", what kind of society is being promoted here? This belief is completely unscientific. There is no such secretion & rape needs no adjectives or adverbs. Unfortunately, these same people are the spearheads of the guns & bibles camp.

Anyone truly disturbed enough to shoot up a mall full of shoppers or a cinema full of movie goers isn't thinking rationally. He is likely armed to the teeth & wearing protective armour (bullet-proof vest etc.) They are very likely planning to go out in a blaze of bullets (suicide by cop) or they blow their own brains out. There were 2 armed guards present at Columbine the day Klebold & Harris did their thing. There were armed guards at Virginia Tech & at that Uni in Texas where tat female professor shot the place up. The shooters do not wake up one day & spontaneously commit these acts. They plan them out over time, usually (not always) leave some kind of manifesto, video or letter & usually they HAVE tipped someone off that they're planning something terrible. They go in having planned their actions whereas the shopper in the mall (concealed gun or not) is likely carrying parcels & a kid or 2. All s/he had planned was to shop. Unless s/he is a military member, an off duty cop or guard etc. he is not prepared for such an event despite having a gun. This is as silly as thinking that buying a scalpel & knowing it is used to cut makes one a surgeon.

@Soup...I am American. It's a cultural thing here to be paranoid about our government, and also to view guns as important.
I don't share these views--as autistics we are foreigners in our own countries---but I can tell you they are deeply rooted.

America is the modern equivalent of England!

ummm, I think not!!

It wasn't just England doing the violence thing hundreds of years back. Europe was all at it. Dont forget China, Japan, heck, all countries have a chequered history.

And, yes, civil war was a big thing for Europe for a long time.

But, c'mon - 21st century America?!! Isn't it a bit embarrassing to have them pretending they're a bunch of cowboys?? Admittedly, they think they are the bees knees, but everyone knows they're full of their own self-importance. Insecure is probably more like it, hence the idea that a population is allowed to carry guns (even ones that can carry only one bullet are enough to kill).

As for not wanting to kick off incase everyone around you is carrying a lethal weapon.... how's that working out for you America btw? Violence free society yet???

Guns are the last thing someone needs in order to lead a violence-free life. In the uk we don't wet our pants just cause we walk in the street defenceless. Heck, we're English! Our stiff upper lip is enough!!! :D

If I were living in Afghanistan, Iraq, Lybia, Syria, well perhaps I'd think twice before leaving my house unarmed.... but whose fault is that exactly??

It's a mad enough world as it is, without people thinking weapons are a fashion accessory.

Here's a link to a list of people who probably would like to see America purged of guns, if they could have a voice..

Sandy Hook Shooting Victims' Names Released

Last edited:
ummm, I think not!!

It wasn't just England doing the violence thing hundreds of years back. Europe was all at it. Dont forget China, Japan, heck, all countries have a chequered history.

And, yes, civil war was a big thing for Europe for a long time.

But, c'mon - 21st century America?!! Isn't it a bit embarrassing to have them pretending they're a bunch of cowboys?? Admittedly, they think they are the bees knees, but everyone knows they're full of their own self-importance. Insecure is probably more like it, hence the idea that a population is allowed to carry guns (even ones that can carry only one bullet are enough to kill).

As for not wanting to kick off incase everyone around you is carrying a lethal weapon.... how's that working out for you America btw? Violence free society yet???

Guns are the last thing someone needs in order to lead a violence-free life. In the uk we don't wet our pants just cause we walk in the street defenceless. Heck, we're English! Our stiff upper lip is enough!!! :D

If I were living in Afghanistan, Iraq, Lybia, Syria, well perhaps I'd think twice before leaving my house unarmed.... but whose fault is that exactly??

It's a mad enough world as it is, without people thinking weapons are a fashion accessory.

Here's a link to a list of people who probably would like to see America purged of guns, if they could have a voice..

Sandy Hook Shooting Victims' Names Released

As long as you know we arent all like this, i will not think of you as a practical biggot thats just lumping all types of americans into what he thinks we are from what he has seen on tv. you dont have to like guns and I realize this post is 2 years old. But that still doesnt make it okay to hate. Hopefully its not a problem for you anymore.

I don't want to be disarmed. I wouldn't be able to draw very well without my arms. My hands would be lonely without wrists too. =(

Does anybody know if there has been a survey done on who is more pro-gun based on the region they live in, and why they want guns in the first place? I think that is crucial to any gun argument. I can understand that people in cities and suburbs wouldn't want a gun. What use would they have for it aside from potential self-defense against a mugger? Folks out in the sticks and rural places, some of them would be crazy not to be packing heat simply due to the varmints scurrying around. My dad always took a pistol with him when we went hiking in the woods just in case we came up on an angry rattlesnake, and when some of my relatives went hiking with other relatives out west, they prepped for bears and cougars. (I know we have bears here in the eastern part of the USA, just not in my state unless you're on the Tennessee or Georgia line.)

I don't want to be disarmed. I wouldn't be able to draw very well without my arms. My hands would be lonely without wrists too. =(

Does anybody know if there has been a survey done on who is more pro-gun based on the region they live in, and why they want guns in the first place? I think that is crucial to any gun argument. I can understand that people in cities and suburbs wouldn't want a gun. What use would they have for it aside from potential self-defense against a mugger? Folks out in the sticks and rural places, some of them would be crazy not to be packing heat simply due to the varmints scurrying around. My dad always took a pistol with him when we went hiking in the woods just in case we came up on an angry rattlesnake, and when some of my relatives went hiking with other relatives out west, they prepped for bears and cougars. (I know we have bears here in the eastern part of the USA, just not in my state unless you're on the Tennessee or Georgia line.)
Lol "Dont take my arms! That is where my hands live!" XD

I just think both the gun and user should be licensed. We do that for cars. Why not guns?
And there needs to be a reason. I can see a need for guns for farmers and hunting. Not much other reason. Pistols for self defense? Semi or fully autos? I don't see the need. Move somewhere safer.

Last edited:
Just an FYI that I believe the topics of Gun Ownership, Gun Control etc.. are considered "sensitive" subject matter on AC because of the tendency by most people to hold very strong & divergent views thus increasing the possibility of getting into heated & potentially uncivil discussions. :p

With that forewarning, here is a recent & very good thread on the topic. autism and guns | Page 4 | AspiesCentral.com

Last edited:
Omg that last paragraph made me laugh out loud in a public library. I'm getting glares now. But that article is what makes me want to build a bunch of nukes, take over a small country, and watch the rest of the world squirm as they try to figure out what the hell I'm going to do. Even I won't know.

The 'England is Superior' complex is making me ill. I like England just fine as an equal though. Follow a finger pointers direction far enough and you end up tapping them on the shoulder.

I just think both the gun and user should be licensed. We do that for cars. Why not guns?
And there needs to be a reason. I can see a need for guns for farmers and hunting. Not much other reason. Pistols for self defense? Semi or fully autos? I don't see the need. Move somewhere safer.
Aye, I don't think a fully automatic weapon should be in civilian hands. That's just... odd.

It'd be nice if we had more dojos and general self-defense classes. Smacking somebody upside the head is a considerably much quieter way to go about defending yourself. Heheh, knowing me, if I had the chance to shoot a bad guy I'd much rather hit them with the butt of the gun, I'd be hard pressed to willingly let my ears sting and ring over them! :p

Just an FYI that I believe the topics of Gun Ownership, Gun Control etc.. are considered "sensitive" subject matter on AC because of the tendency by most people to hold very strong & divergent views thus increasing the possibility of getting into heated & potentially uncivil discussions. :p

With that forewarning, here is a recent & very good thread on the topic. autism and guns | Page 4 | AspiesCentral.com
I can't think of a place it wouldn't be sensitive, even at the NRA. Hopefully it'll just stay a somewhat light-hearted discussion.

One thing i do get very sick of people saying that i hear an awful lot of, and i honestly am sorry in advance if there is a risk at someone getting mad about this because it wouldnt be intentional, but here it is,

"im too sophisticated to own a gun, derp."

No. it doesnt make you more sophisticated or not, to own or not own, a gun. Actually saying this takes it to a very different level of subject matter.
That derp part is just my added frustation, they dont actually say that, but i do hear it.

Its sounds so condisending and childish to say "i am better, because i have (or dont have), a gun."
To me its like saying, "You know, my opinion is different than yours. i have a pre defined way of thinking that says because you dont agree with me, that you are wrong and im right. Youre stupid and i am smart. argue argue argue, waist time, waist time, rabble rabble." its the same thing with children. Just with so called adults. It just looks stupid to me.

i dont like guns too much myself and i am pretty liberal, but that being said, i think its personally no ones business to say anything good or bad about someones household decision that doesnt concern them.
I am friends with a gay couple and they are well informed of all the safety rules and handling a gun requires. They dont just fuddy duddy around with them like a lot of people seem to say they think. Just like the university isnt stuffing your money into their nostrils after you leave the building, for example, like i feel like they do. Ok maybe they do, but you get the point of the example.
if the govt wanted to illegalize guns in america, than that would be the law. its not.
i live in seattle and we regulate guns pretty well here in wa state. i have no personal complaints.

it doesnt make your country more sophisticated either, just because you arent allowed guns. It only just means you arent allowed guns in that country. Not that your country is better than another. there are lots of countries that i think are better than the US, and it isnt because of guns, or lack of.
obviously sweden is a terrible place to live with this kind of thinking, since they do allow guns.

i have an even bigger problem with people thinking they are better or more important than others based on their views and opinions, whether it involves guns or not.

Gun laws in Sweden | The Firearms Forum

New Threads

Top Bottom