• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers and Transactional Analysis

Gordy

Does anyone have any experience of using transactional analysis to treat or prevent meltdowns? My Aspergers results in quite high anxiety levels and I am very sensitive to medication. All I have been offered is CBT, unmodified, as provided for people with depression. My doctor is sceptical about its effectiveness in that form for people with an autistic spectrum disorder. I have the possibility of private psychotherapy using transactional analysis, but I don't know if that would be worthwhile.

Interesting, Tony Attwood said that CBT can be quite beneficial to those with autism because of how to tackles these issues in a logical fashion.

Gordy - It seems that it's more in keeping with the reality of our interactions with ourselves and others, rather than a hypothetical state that we are unaware of. CBT works for some, but it's methods seem both repetitive and conditioning. The rote learning of childhood has not remained with me all that much.
I've had some experience with transactional analysis personally, although not in a clinical setting. Becoming aware of critical inner dialogue has been helpful, and made me more aware. I think it would depend on how in touch you are with the inner critics.

This is a description:

........Transactional analysis differs from Freudian analysis in explaining that an individual's final emotional state is the result of inner dialogue between different parts of the psyche, as opposed to the Freudian hypothesis that imagery is the overriding determinant of inner emotional state. (For example, depression may be due to ongoing critical verbal messages from the inner Parent to the inner Child.) Berne believed that it is relatively easy to identify these inner dialogues and that the ability to do so is parentally suppressed in early childhood.[6]

In addition, Berne believed in making a commitment to "curing" his patients rather than just understanding them. To that end he introduced one of the most important aspects of TA: the contract—an agreement entered into by both client and therapist to pursue specific changes that the client desires.

Revising Freud's concept of the human psyche as composed of the id, ego, and super-ego, Berne postulated in addition three "ego states"—the Parent, Adult, and Child states—which were largely shaped through childhood experiences. These three are all part of Freud's ego; none represent the id or the superego.

Unhealthy childhood experiences can lead to these being pathologically fixated in the Child and Parent ego states, bringing discomfort to an individual and/or others in a variety of forms, including many types of mental illness.

Berne considered how individuals interact with one another, and how the ego states affect each set of transactions. Unproductive or counterproductive transactions were considered to be signs of ego state problems. Analyzing these transactions according to the person's individual developmental history would enable the person to "get better". Berne thought that virtually everyone has something problematic about their ego states and that negative behaviour would not be addressed by "treating" only the problematic individual.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transactional_analysis

Last edited:
Meltdowns being treated by transactional analysis - I have never heard of that. 'm not able to take medication due to being over-sensitive & bad side-affects and reactions. My doctor, a neuropsych, prescribed an hour of running 5 or 6 days a week for my anxiety. I'm still building up toward that and lately have slipped back a bit due to the cold and various things. But it definitely helps.

Psychotherapy can be enlightening and empowering, but for me the effort involved in communication, and the intensity of a psychotherapist being in control of the process, leads to too much stress to be efficacious.

Last edited:
As Mia notes: "Becoming aware of verbal inner script has been helpful, and made me more aware. I think it would depend on how in touch you are with the inner critics."

What you tell yourself is very important.
Many difficulties arise if a person tells himself things like these...
http://www.yourpotential.net/10/27/Albert_Elliss_list_of_Irrational_Ideas.html

A combination of TA and being aware of the story you are
telling yourself is quite helpful.

Sounds like TA might be useful for dealing with anxiety and understanding how people think and what they expect.

Just to clarify: my Doctor had expected me to be referred to a psychologist who might have done CBT, but in a way that was modified to suit people with ASD, or might have done some other treatment. Instead I got refered to a community psychiatric nurse who provides a set course of CBT for people with depression or anxiety. I am not convinced it will be very helpful having been through this before when I was actually depressed, and the time off work required could blow my cover eventually and lead to non renewal of contract in June if I am not very careful.

New Threads

Top Bottom