• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's and reading speed

Well, maybe if your inner subvocalizer talks like this:

Wow, she seems to be the diametric opposite to me.

Sure, she can read fast, but does she understand as she is reading? I can read fast if I want to too, but without any comphrehension. If one can't understand while reading fast, then there isn't much point to it, it defeats the object. I always hated reading out loud at school and always had to read again on my own to understand. Also, can't handle people talking too fast.

If it has stayed the same, though, it's hasn't stayed the same, because you read more advanced material now than then.
Actually, no, I used to read adult books from the age of about 10, such as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and H.G. Wells.

If I want to fully interpret and understand what is written it's exactly the same for me, I have to read "aloud" in my head at the same speed that I speak.
Same here.
When I was at senior school I was also always the last one to finish reading a section from a book, often the teacher would want to move on when I still hadn't finished and it was embarrassing
Same here. It was frustrating. I used to catch up at home.
I've always been exactly the same, also while attempting to concentrate on the subtitles I miss out on the action, I therefore avoid movies that are fully subbed. At least these days we can easily wind back and pause, unless we are watching in the cinema of course and it can also be awkward if we are watching with other people who can read the subtitles easily.
Yes, exactly - I miss the action. I'm very mono-channel and can only do one thing at a time. If I read, I can't listen. If I listen, I can't read. If I speak, I can't see (I can, but I don't take in the meaning of what I see). If I'm using one of my senses, I lose the meaning of the others, I'm not able to process and interpret the input.
but I was wondering whether you had slow/delayed speech development as a young child like myself in case there's a link?
I've wondered the same thing myself. I don't actually know when I first started to speak. I was brought up by my grandparents until I was 6, and neither of them are alive to tell me, not my father, who would know. I'm sure that I was speaking by the time I got to kindergarten, though. As a small child, I was aloof and had a lot of behaviour issues and meltdowns. I was bullied a lot. Some of my behaviours, like my meltdowns and hitting a teacher, may well have got me excluded if I had been going through the school system today, but then, excuses were made for it because I had lost my mother at a young age and had been brought up by my grandparents. So I was deemed to have special circumstances. There is no record of my having had a speech delay and I was diagnosed with Asperger's, not autism, but still I might have had a slight delay or abnormal development.

The middle school thought I was very slow and wanted to move me and put me with the slow learners or a special school even, but my parents insisted that I should stay put, because they thought I was actually quite intelligent but not trying hard enough, and wouldn't reach my full potential at a special school or with the slow learners. I was bottom of the class and had terrible reports. My teachers disliked me, but I was unaware of this and how bad things actually were until recently, when I read through my old reports. In high school I did better academically, but had social issues.

New Threads

Top Bottom