• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's and reading speed

pelecanus87

Is there any particular sort of connection between asperger's and reading speed?

Tell me how you do on this reading speed test.

Me personally, I can breeze through 3 or 4 sentences at what I would guess to be around 700 wpm. But I always end up getting "stuck" on a word or phrase and it ruins my momentum big time. I have to stop and think it through and it takes a fairly long time to get started again. I suspect (and hope) this means I could have a lot of potential for improvement.

Any thoughts or test results would be appreciated.

I peaked at 900, but I've had a great deal of practice. When I first learned to type in tenth grade, I wasn't supposed to look at my fingers on the blank keyboard. Could not learn to not look at my fingers whilst typing.

So instead, I speed read, memorized it and typed it quickly to keep up with the rest of the class. Also did this on jobs. Still look at the keyboard when I type, but this last bit, I'm not looking.

Last edited:
I peaked at 900, but I've had a great deal of practice. When I first learned to type in tenth grade, I wasn't supposed to look at my fingers on the keyboard. Could not learn to not look at my fingers whilst typing.

So instead, I speed read, memorized it and typed it quickly to keep up with the rest of the class. Also did this on jobs. Still look at the keyboard when I type, but this last bit, I'm not looking.

It became difficult for me at 700 and I peaked around 900 as well. Haven't had much practice aside from copious reading over the years.

I got up to 500 and then got distracted.. seems about right for me. My brain is like a humming bird, darting this way and that.

Fail! Barely made it to 500, mind you I'm also tired, just got in the house and it's midnight, not sure if I would do much better if I was more awake though

700 and I was reading through it too fast really. I nearly made the 800, but it was all starting to be a race in my head and I lost concentration on the story.

I lost track around 250. My lowest WAIS-IV sub-score was processing speed, so that is consistent. I think that it is also why I am not good in chat.

I am a speed reader, but when I come across a word or sentance that I do not understand, I will read it slower.

I also good at scanning and so, within a few seconds, I know what I am looking for is there or isn't there.

Although I started reading at 9, from there, it was all go ahead and I often came out of a library with the maximum of books one is allowed to borrow, which was 10 and by the week, I had read them all. Impressive? Perhaps, or just really disappointing.

I tried to take the test, but in truth got bored with the content and thus, gave up.

I am a speed reader, but when I come across a word or sentance that I do not understand, I will read it slower.

I also good at scanning and so, within a few seconds, I know what I am looking for is there or isn't there.

Although I started reading at 9, from there, it was all go ahead and I often came out of a library with the maximum of books one is allowed to borrow, which was 10 and by the week, I had read them all. Impressive? Perhaps, or just really disappointing.

I tried to take the test, but in truth got bored with the content and thus, gave up.
The last line of your post was so funny

I lost track around 250. My lowest WAIS-IV sub-score was processing speed, so that is consistent. I think that it is also why I am not good in chat.
Same here. I like reading, but I'm very slow. Any faster, and I lose the meaning. At school I was always the slowest to finish tasks. If I had to take a test, I could get all the answers perfectly correct, but I couldn't finish them all. I struggle with chat too, and group conversations. It's way too fast, plus the additional challenge of having to process social information.

I did fine up to 300, then my comprehension faded. I found the excerpt too strange and difficult to relate to, without more context. I was able to keep up to 800, but I was skimming, not taking it in. I felt the pressure.

I was moved into the accelerated reading group in elementary school, where one of our exersizes was speed reading. It was much like that youtube test, with quizzes to test our comprehension. This worked well, especially for plowing through textbooks, not so well for me reading fiction. I like to dwell in the story of a good book, and get immersed in the experience, at which point, speed means nothing and context and comprehension is everything.

I also have trouble with understanding concepts sometimes, especially when reading philosophic, conceptual writing, so I have to re-read things multiple times to really understand what the writer is trying to get across. This was problematic for me in college, not so much because I didn't understand, but because it "got me thinking" and I would lose focus on the reading, musing on my own instead. Would often take me hours to get through the texts assigned. The idea is to get us thinking anyways, right?

Not sure what this says about reading speed and Aspergers.

Last edited:
Got up to 500 before I lost track. There's no test for comprehension though, so I don't know if that's legit or not. Story seemed kinda bizarre too, maybe that's just me though.

Did a search for "average reading speed" and got this as the first result:

If top readers read at speeds of above 1000 words per minute (wpm) with near 85% comprehension, they only represent 1% of readers. Average readers are the majority and only reach around 200 wpm with a typical comprehension of 60%.

Got up to 500 before I lost track. There's no test for comprehension though, so I don't know if that's legit or not. Story seemed kinda bizarre too, maybe that's just me though.

Did a search for "average reading speed" and got this as the first result:

I agree... yes I read through it quickly but I don’t remember much of what I read... I would rather just read it slow and let it soak in... and read it again if needed... : )

Made it to 600 but find the moving words harder to follow than print. Also I am just waking up. Yep, I have a few excuses for not making it to 700. I used to read competitively with a friend in the 6th grade so I did get kinda speedy from that but they were real paper books, of course. Anyhoo, kinda a fun test anyways.

New Threads

Top Bottom