• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers and memorization

Bad short term, good long term.
I can remember in detail things back to infancy, but, forget something I read last night.
I do the copy and paste thing writing online.

Interest plays a part.
I've always been interested in medicine/medical arts.
I can speed read through an article on that or a PDF journal in no time and remember.

Tell me the parts of a car under the hood and I'll ask the same question the next day.
Not interesting to me.

Names of plants, insects, animals, no problem.
An address or price. Anything involving number memorization, no way.

Age plays a part also. I've noticed that starting at least 5 or 6 years ago now.
It gradually happens.

The worst thing I can remember not being able to memorize and didn't have any interest in
was that " ...four score and seven years ago..." THING!
Yeah, I know, The Gettysburg Address. But, oh did I find it boring in grade school. :p

Horrible at rote memorization. But I can remember details from movies I saw 50 years ago.
yeah rote memorization sucks! It is easier to memorize when you have an understanding of the text, music or subject. People say: repetition, repetition and repetition!
But I say: aspies like me need to understand and find the patterns if we are to be good at memorization. Not all the aspies are great at rote memorization.

yeah rote memorization sucks! It is easier to memorize when you have an understanding of the text, music or subject. People say: repetition, repetition and repetition!
But I say: aspies like me need to understand and find the patterns if we are to be good at memorization. Not all the aspies are great at rote memorization.
Rote memory doesn't help me. If I'm not interested in the subject, I can repeat something 100 times and it's still not going to sink in.

Something you read last night would not be in short term memory. It only stores the last two and a half minutes or so of data. If you remember it the next day it's ltm.

Learning by doing is much better and more useful and retained much longer than by rote. You can't retain everything but that hardly matters. Most people can't do that anyway unless they have a true idetic (photographic) memory.

Short term memory is the gateway to long term. There is a condition in which the part of a person's brain that links the two is damaged or destroied. They can access old memories but have no ability to process new data or form new memories past the last two and a half minutes. It's crippling.

I think my memory isn't that great, given that I have trouble remembering what I ate for dinner a few days ago (I think I cooked a pizza?). I can read a book several times and still forget the names and histories of key figures, even though I'm interested in it.

Naturally, practice makes perfect, whether I'm memorizing dates or verb conjugations. But I'm way better at languages than I am about, say, names and shopping lists.

New Threads

Top Bottom