• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers and ADHD

Bellacat

I already have a diagnosis of Aspergers and now I'm getting tested for ADHD too.

There is a lot of overlap with these two conditions and I know that they are related and often comorbid.

I'm trying to explain to someone why I'm getting tested for ADHD when so many of the relevant traits are already covered by the Aspergers diagnosis. I have an intuitive sense of it and my psychologist considers it relevant for me, but when I try to explain why I become lost.

Can anyone explain in a straightforward way why a person might receive an ADHD diagnosis in addition to an existing diagnosis of Aspergers? What is actually gained with the ADHD diagnosis?

Its pretty much the norm these days that if you have ADHD you have a high risk of also having ASD and vice verce. In fact the norm is you utliest have 2 diagnosis rather then one(and usely ADHD & ASD) and its also more common for us girls that they found our ASD later then the ADHD actually.

What you gain is further explonation about other problems you have that you cant explain with Asbergers =ASD1

And as you say because many of the " tics " often co exist at the same time its harder to spot them = being diagnosed with the other one later in life

The Relationship Between ADHD and Autism

Last edited:
ADHD is a bit different, in it you have hardship keeping track of time and how much time it's been, need to work with written lists, you have ADHD hyperfocus, which is a bit different from ASD hyperfocus, and focus troubles, while with an aspie diagnosis you might have low latent inhibition or a great stimuli intake due to sensitivity which can be often confused with adhd but it is not the same. There is a lot to work on with focus in general and improve it, it can change your life a lot to get treatment and sometimes it may get better

Last edited:
I was under the impressions that 'Asperger' is no longer a valid diagnosis. It's all ASD now?

I was under the impressions that 'Asperger' is no longer a valid diagnosis. It's all ASD now?

Yes. Lots of people still say Asperger's, though, to indicate autism spectrum in people with normal or above normal intelligence.

How are they different?

From what I read the difference is that autistic hyperfocus tends to be focused on an interest, and people have to be shaken and they dont snap out of it. While adhd one is more focused on brain trying to escape a situation/topic and getting distracted to something else that feels relaxing. But both are relaxing processes.

I dont think i ever had an autistic hyperfocus, my focus is usually easily broken
like i cant snap out of it easily, but i am distracted by the person trying to get me to pay attention even if I dont respond to them for a while which makes them get even more bugging
frustrates me when im trying to figure out a list in my head or working on something useful and become unaware of surroundings
and someone tries to get my attention

Yes. Lots of people still say Asperger's, though, to indicate autism spectrum in people with normal or above normal intelligence.

That's strange. In my experience, it is the reverse, most people I have met with Aspergers had obvious learning difficulties. I myself am HF intellectual, so I am told anyway, so just ASD.

Learning difficulties can be because of plenty of things. Not just poor intelligence.

For a long time this is how Asperger's was defined - now correct me if I get it wrong, but I have understood that Asperger's for some time really meant exactly that: autism with normal or above average IQ.

This doesn't automatically mean you do well in school.

The term Asperger's isn't a diagnosis any more. So who calls him/herself what is another issue entirely ...

There is an ongoing thread somewhere, where plenty of people suggest high functioning autism = ASD1 = Asperger's. But all words that aren't clinical diagnoses will be used in many different ways.

It's a bit mixed up at the moment because the change to ASD for all of it didn't happen everywhere, or not all at the same time.

I received an official diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome in August last year here in Norway.

It's a bit mixed up at the moment because the change to ASD for all of it didn't happen everywhere, or not all at the same time.

I received an official diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome in August last year here in Norway.

Interesting. I didn't know that.

Learning difficulties can be because of plenty of things. Not just poor intelligence.

Learning disabilities has NOTHING to do with IQ .

Learning Disability, is a condition which affects the different areas of learning and interferes with the academic achievements of the individual. It includes reading, writing, comprehending and organizing language and mathematics. Learning Disabilities were previously mistaken to be intellectual faults. But with increase in the medical and psycho-social advancements, it has been proved that just a low I.Q. level is not enough to indicate Learning Disability.

Last edited:
The management of symptoms that is discussed here is a complex idea, to be approached with caution. Yes, great to help the child with symptoms where they are obstacles to learning or highly antisocial, however a symptom is not always the best word to use about different behaviours that are chosen as a result of neurodiversity.

I think sometimes a lot of what is done just encourages masking or causes loss of confidence, instead of properly supporting the child to realise their different potential. We need a more accepting and sophisticated approach to helping diagnosed children.

Learning disabilities has NOTHING to do with IQ

Well, obviously someone whose mental capacity will remain on the level of a 4 year old will have difficulties in learning, in most fields. We once used to call them retarded, now I am not sure which the polite word for it is in English. But perhaps this isn't defined as learning disability. Don't know.

I have been diagnosed with both and I find they have both interfered with work/relationships but differently.

The Aspergers manifests primarily in understanding the meta-language of social interaction. The ADHD manifests primarily in my ability to focus and degree of distractability. They both influence my interactions. People who perceive me as uninterested or abrupt for any reason will more likely than than not have a negative perception of me and my interactions with them.

For Adderall, you should not feel spun or wired. You should have the paradoxical effect which is feeling calmer and more focused on the stimulant. It was my biggest fear when getting on this medication and I've found it to be hugely helpful when I'm in the patient room and having to focus on another person.

Well, obviously someone whose mental capacity will remain on the level of a 4 year old will have difficulties in learning, in most fields. We once used to call them retarded, now I am not sure which the polite word for it is in English. But perhaps this isn't defined as learning disability. Don't know.

What youre refering in this case is severe to even profound Intellectual disability and is something compleatly different from Learning disablity (actually learnt this today as well to be honest when first replying reg learning disabilities) as i do have both Intellectual disability (mild ) as well as multible Learning disabilities. Retarded has been replaced with ID = Intellectual disability so i guess im one of the retarted then ;)

And DONT worry im NOT ofended :)

Difference between Intellectual Disability and Learning Disability | Difference Between

Last edited:
ADHD is usually treatable with medications while ASD is not, so that would be one reason to be diagnosed.

ADHD is usually treatable with medications while ASD is not, so that would be one reason to be diagnosed.

^ When I was evaluated, that was part of the explanation I was given. The other part of the explanation was that it mattered because ADHD, even just inattentive type, makes the hardships caused by ASD harder. Struggling to pay attention isn’t just about reading or solitary pursuits, but ADHD makes it harder to pay attention to social cues as well. So all the difficulties with interacting with other people are increased when someone with ASD has untreated ADHD. And, the medications for ADHD have some of the highest effectiveness rates in psychiatric medicine; I was told that estimates are that around 80% of ADHD people on meds find them very effective in helping to manage their symptoms.

On a personal level- I’ve been diagnosed with both. The ASD diagnosis has been the most meaningful to me personally- but the ADHD diagnosis has been the most helpful in getting accommodations and effective treatments. There apparently isn’t a medicine that “treats” ASD- but there is for ADHD. And while ADHD has a stigma, it’s much less than the one for ASD, so asking for things for managing ADHD is much more effective. You can ask for a quiet space for ADHD and nobody blinks an eye or suggests you’re a bad person. Asking for a quiet space for ASD has, in my experience, led to people telling me to just give other people a chance. (Not how my biochemistry works but okay........)

There have been other benefits as well. My medicine means that I am less easily overwhelmed; I notice more social cues and can mask more easily. When being able to mask means the difference between suffering or not suffering, I deeply want to be able to choose to do it. With my ADHD symptoms managed, I am better able to actually tap into the strengths ASD gives.

I have inattentive type ADHD, which combined with my ASD lack of affect makes me look rude and uncaring. It also means that I don’t notice things and nobody realizes, and I get in trouble later. Even without medication, knowing that the ADHD manifests in certain ways means I can make strategies to get around it.

Honestly, I could go on for a very long time about this, but I would recommend that you look into ADHD on your own. It can be debilitating all by itself; even people with only ADHD and not ASD find their lives transformed with a diagnosis and treatment.

Good luck, OP! I hope you gain the information you need to be your best.

New Threads

Top Bottom