• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers and ADHD

With my ADHD symptoms managed, I am better able to actually tap into the strengths ASD gives.

This is the main thing that got me thinking about it in the first place. It feels like the symptoms I have that could be attributed to ADHD are holding me back from the benefits of ASD and I'm not living up to my potential.

I already have a diagnosis of Aspergers and now I'm getting tested for ADHD too.

There is a lot of overlap with these two conditions and I know that they are related and often comorbid.

I'm trying to explain to someone why I'm getting tested for ADHD when so many of the relevant traits are already covered by the Aspergers diagnosis. I have an intuitive sense of it and my psychologist considers it relevant for me, but when I try to explain why I become lost.

Can anyone explain in a straightforward way why a person might receive an ADHD diagnosis in addition to an existing diagnosis of Aspergers? What is actually gained with the ADHD diagnosis?

I'm actually in the exact same situation right now. I am getting tested for ADHD because my workplace is undergoing some serious changes in accommodations which are potentially very debilitating to someone who is autistic. I went to my doctor to request certain considerations be written down so I could have something if necessary. As a by-product of some of these sessions, she said it would be a good idea to screen for ADHD as I was answering questions which showed this to be a distinct possibility. I do not believe I am ADHD, but I answered the questions as accurately as I was able to. I should have the results by the end of the month.

That is why it could be relevant to me. I'm not sure if that could help in understanding why it could be relevant to you.

Well, obviously someone whose mental capacity will remain on the level of a 4 year old will have difficulties in learning, in most fields. We once used to call them retarded, now I am not sure which the polite word for it is in English. But perhaps this isn't defined as learning disability. Don't know.

Intellectual impairment is different from a learning disability. Intellectual impairment is the polite way of saying low intelligence. A person can have high intelligence and be dyslexic which is a learning disability. A person could have intellectual impairments and dyslexia.

We've finally concluded that I have both ASD and ADHD and my psychologist was able to clear up the confusion for me, finally. I thought I'd add it here in case anyone finds it interesting or useful.

He said that the criteria for ASD diagnosis is more focused on the social/communication difficulties, and ADHD is more about the concentration, hyperactivity, impulsiveness, and executive function stuff. There is lots and lots of overlap, so most people with ASD have some ADHD traits (and vice versa). That can make it seem like those traits are a part of ASD, but they aren't actually criteria for the ASD diagnosis. If the traits from the other category are significant enough, then the additional diagnosis is given.

He also pointed out that when both are present, it's impossible to tell which one is actually influencing a particular behaviour because the answer is usually going to be "both + other factors".

Intellectual impairment is different from a learning disability. Intellectual impairment is the polite way of saying low intelligence. A person can have high intelligence and be dyslexic which is a learning disability. A person could have intellectual impairments and dyslexia.

Nothing here I don't agree with. Or well, possibly one thing.

Everybody here agrees that learning disability does not equal intellectual impairment. I have already stated earlier in the thread, that one could have difficulties in learning for plenty of other reasons than low IQ. So you are kind of repeating me.

However, low IQ will also yield difficulties in learning. If you call that a learning disability or not would really be a matter of definition? I mean, it's just about terminology. Words. The psychologists will have a classification. English is my second language. I shrug and say Okay.

We are off topic in this thread, and I'm not certain how we got here. I don't really understand my own logic of it, when I check the whole thread. Unless something has been deleted, possibly I posted something in the wrong thread. Or I skipped several logical steps. Or something.

New Threads

Top Bottom