• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

ASMR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whisper: Paused after six seconds, too annoying.
Tapping: Didn't bother me, but those blue nails and neon yellow shirt were hard to look at.
Blowing: Her voice grated on my nerves too much. Stopped after 17 seconds.
Bob Ross: Love to watch him paint. Watched the whole thing.
Pages: ...Annoying. Plasticy pages are noisy.
Personal Attention: What's with the women in these videos? They all talk softly, smack their lips constantly, and are way too breathy!
Head Touching: Skipped. Annoying talking again.
Last video link was broken.

I guess technically there was an ASMR response to those videos, but aside from Bob Ross it was FAR from a pleasant sensation. It made my skin crawl like when a fork scrapes across a plate wrong or someone drags their nails on a chalkboard.

Belatedly, I see now that these videos might really grate on someone's nerves. I was thinking autism spectrum -> sensory sensitivity -> possible asmr response, but, just as some sensory sensitivities allow people to greatly enjoy certain sensory input, others cause people to be strongly averse to the same input.

I guess technically there was an ASMR response to those videos, but aside from Bob Ross it was FAR from a pleasant sensation. It made my skin crawl like when a fork scrapes across a plate wrong or someone drags their nails on a chalkboard.

Ok. I thought the sensation had to be pleasant to be ASMR. I'm sorry that they annoyed you.

Randomly, I experience something (which I thought might be a mild partial seizure) that feels like ASMR is described, but none of these videos triggered it for me (although I did find them otherwise arousing, which was curious).

Last edited:
Here are 40 more triggers, presented quickly, one-by-one, in a single video, by a single person, meant to help people find their triggers. There is a list that makes it easier to skip ones that might be annoying.

The bells at the end, and, surprisingly, the cellophane tape seemed to trigger me. I'm still a bit freaked out that my response comes with involuntary head movements, however.

The videos in the link were mostly annoying. I didn't watch all the way through any of them because they bothered me.

I watched through the video bentHnau posted. It didn't annoy me, but no tingles, either. Her steady, even voice is calming. I'm tired enough that she about put me to sleep, though that's not bad. :p Just nothing special about it, either. I've always been more able to fall asleep with music or hearing someone talking, as long as the voice is calm. A cat's purr can put me to sleep, too, which is nice because that is never in short supply in my house.

Some of the things she was doing, I wished I could reach into the screen and take them from her because I like the tactile sensations that go with them. :p I love to touch things and know which things I like the feel of. There were a couple that made me shudder at the thought of touching them, too, though.

Here are 40 more triggers, presented quickly, one-by-one, in a single video, by a single person, meant to help people find their triggers. There is a list that makes it easier to skip ones that might be annoying.

The bells at the end, and, surprisingly, the cellophane tape seemed to trigger me. I'm still a bit freaked out that my response comes with involuntary head movements, however.

Thankie for trying, but she makes me cringe as much as the other women. Brings back some interesting memories of podcasts people have played loudly in the next room.

Whisper: Paused after six seconds, too annoying.
Tapping: Didn't bother me, but those blue nails and neon yellow shirt were hard to look at.
Blowing: Her voice grated on my nerves too much. Stopped after 17 seconds.
Bob Ross: Love to watch him paint. Watched the whole thing.
Pages: ...Annoying. Plasticy pages are noisy.
Personal Attention: What's with the women in these videos? They all talk softly, smack their lips constantly, and are way too breathy!
Head Touching: Skipped. Annoying talking again.
Last video link was broken.

Pretty much all this.

The main thing I learned from the 40 triggers video is that that woman's voice is a trigger, thus rendering the rest of the video useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom