• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asking for help stimming

With kids I know they use some basic techniques like replacing what is considered undesireable with a harmless one. Manipulatives like squeeze balls, or some material they like to feel.

My theory on stimming is that it's something that is uncomfortable but it gives us relief in the fact that nothing bad happens. For instance I chew my lips. It hurts when I chew them. It gives me a physical feeling that I can feel. The fact that the pain seems so much more than the actual harm of it is soothing. Sort of like recreational drug use. The initial hit shakes you body as if you're going to die, but the actual high is the feeling of have stayed alive through.

As to your question I guess it's too each their own what will trigger this feeling and to what extent. I have some stims that are confined to little things, but they all depend on how sensitive I am in that specific sense.
Thanks for the response. Do you think that improper stimming or stimming too hard might lead to connective tissue difficulty and hyperflexibiliy...like a repetitive strain injury?? I do...but there is a strong genetic link as well.

• 17 minutes ago from chat page:
  • Jennifer McGuire: Hello all. I am new to the group having been recently diagnosed as ASD. I DOVE into stimming research as I suddenly realized that my facial expressions, leg shakes, talking incessantly etc... were all forms of stims. As I stimmed, it opened up memories I didn’t know I had suppressed. It was terrifying! No way to exaggerate that...I was literally frozen in panic. So, please, a warning and caution...stimming may make you remember something you suppressed. Having said that, I need help stimming. Is there a relaxing side to stimming? Is there a better way to direct stimming so that you don’t escape into thought with less-than-a-thought about if your chosen stimming method is both appropriate for your body’s needs and your thought processes at the same time?
I didn't realize talking incessantly might be a kind of stimming behaviour. I'm glad you mentioned it-- I think I do this too.

Thanks for the response. Do you think that improper stimming or stimming too hard might lead to connective tissue difficulty and hyperflexibiliy...like a repetitive strain injury?? I do...but there is a strong genetic link as well.
I'm no expert, so I can't really say much on that. The body is very fascinating as in the fact that it adapts to movements. I suppose if there is a certain stimming movement that this person has engaged in since their childhood their muscles and tissues will have adapted to the movement, like gymnasts and hyperflexibility. They build the strength and the flexibility in the tissues as they go and the body adapts to that. In terms of strain and genetics I suppose you are referring to joints and bones. Hereditary disseases can be unavoidable, but building up the strength in the muscles can delay their course.

My theory on stimming is that it's something that is uncomfortable but it gives us relief in the fact that nothing bad happens. For instance I chew my lips. It hurts when I chew them. It gives me a physical feeling that I can feel. The fact that the pain seems so much more than the actual harm of it is soothing. Sort of like recreational drug use. The initial hit shakes you body as if you're going to die, but the actual high is the feeling of have stayed alive through.

As to your question I guess it's too each their own what will trigger this feeling and to what extent. I have some stims that are confined to little things, but they all depend on how sensitive I am in that specific sense.

That sounds just like cutting one’s own body with blades, or other self harm. It used to be that medical personnel, and therapists thought that cutting was a suicide attempt, but now, they are coming into awareness of its use as a dangerous and risky coping skill.

I did not know that stimming could involve self harm, as I think of it as flapping and rocking type and other none harming behaviors. Melt downs I thought, engaged potential self harming behaviors, (such as head banging, wall punching, breaking objects) but not “ stimming.” Please educate me if I am way off.

That sounds just like cutting one’s own body with blades, or other self harm. It used to be that medical personnel, and therapists thought that cutting was a suicide attempt, but now, they are coming into awareness of its use as a dangerous and risky coping skill.

I did not know that stimming could involve self harm, as I think of it as flapping and rocking type and other none harming behaviors. Melt downs I thought, engaged potential self harming behaviors, (such as head banging, wall punching, breaking objects) but not “ stimming.” Please educate me if I am way off.
First time the deifinition of stimming was introduced to me was with self harming behaviour. I was assisting a boy with LFA who woud repeatedly slap himself. The explanation was that it stimulates him and he needs it to regulate himself. Due to his limited motor skills this was the only way he could stim apparently.

Pain is a feeling that is easier felt as people try not to expose themselves to it. We are thereore more sensetive towards feeling pain than pleasure. The body responds quicker to pain than any other stimulation as it's unwanted. For instance biting nails and picking of skin around fingers.

New Threads

Top Bottom