• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

AsBergers - What's with the B?!

Say Pah and then Bah and pay attention to your lips. Pah just uses a part of your lip about an eighth of an inch forward from the part that bah uses.
They are really friggin close. And people are used to the word "burgers", so they take the neurologically lazy route.

It's like duct tape. It's hard as hell not to call it "duck tape".

Last edited:
@Smith:Sort of like those people who refer to joists as Joices on construction shows.

Pity Hans Asperger wasn't simply named Mike Campbell or something...

@Smith:Sort of like those people who refer to joists as Joices on construction shows.

Pity Hans Asperger wasn't simply named Mike Campbell or something...

Then our condition would've been called Campbells Syndrome... Now that would be weird.

Say Pah and then Bah and pay attention to your lips. Pah just uses a part of your lip about an eighth of an inch forward from the part that bah uses.
They are really friggin close. And people are used to the word "burgers", so they take the neurologically lazy route.

lol I always say duck tape. I have a really hard time with alot of words, interesting, cavalry, Febuary, my favorite artist is beksinski, when I want to tell someone his name I just spell it for them

Thanks, smith2267... that's the short, palatable version of the point I was trying to make! :)

[p] is to as [t] is to [d]. Each pair has the same articulation in the mouth, but with and [d] you use your vocal cords; with [p] and [t] you don't.

One of my favorite linguistic quirks/pet peeves to spot is when actors/people say "impordant" with the soft [d] instead of a harder [t] sound. Sounds so funny to my ears every time.

I haven't seen much on this forum about the show Community, which gets a lot of comic mileage out of its character with Asperger's, Abed Nadir. But in the pilot episode, they touch on the whole "ass-burgers" thing. Jeff tells Abed that he has Asperger's, and Troy and Pierce think the word "ass-burger" is really funny. Someone (either Britta or Annie) chides them for making fun of a serious condition. But in their immaturity, they can't help but keep giggling.

Funny, I always thought it was pronounced "ass-purge-urs", not "ass-bur-gurs". I do know that the latter gets thrown around a LOT, and these days it's mainly for the purpose of trolling or insulting others. Not that I'm offended by it as I find it humorous and incredibly stupid, but I know there are others who definitely disagree with that pronounciation.

Either way we're screwed, as the "ass" is inevitable and implies that we're somehow all asses and deserving to be treated as such. In hindsight, though, it sounds better than "autistic psychopathy" which if I'm not mistaken was the original term that Asperger used for his subjects (or was it not?)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom