• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Article: My Child is Autistic, Autistic Adults Changed My Perspective

Nervous Rex

High-functioning autistic
V.I.P Member
I think this article is a great read. It shows how autistic people telling their stories are making a difference.

My Child is Autistic, Autistic Adults Changed My Perspective

A summary:

When this mother's child was diagnosed as autistic, she first found various therapies to "make her child act normal" (my words, not hers), including ABA therapy. She viewed autism as more of a sentence than a diagnosis.

Then she began reading blogs by autistic adults and learned to take a brighter view of her child's future and accept her child's autism (and abandoned ABA therapy).

Thank you for sharing that. It was very touching to read. So wonderful to hear.

This article made me so emotional (not in a bad way.) I need to send this to my parents.
Thank you so much for sharing.

New Threads

Top Bottom