• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you too open or too closed?

Kit

I tend to be too open and now I am learning to not be so open because it's a bad thing. People judge you or get the wrong idea about you. But I always feel I am not being honest if I don't admit things and I feel I am wearing a mask.

I tend to be closed. There's very few people that I have ever opened up to with regards to discussing personal stuff or problems. Even with my real life NT friends, I don't open up that much to them - despite them all being good people. If I do open up to a person, then that means I have a lot of respect and trust for them.

I'm too closed. I tend to only talk about things I'm interested in rather than share any of my deeper thoughts and feelings about different things. I'm terrified of the possibility of someone using what I say against me, so that's why I keep everything bottled up inside.

When I was younger, I was much too open - I shared way too many personal details about myself with too many people.

I should find a medium between the two extremes - that is, I should not be afraid to say what I think and feel, but I should still be careful not to get too personal.

Last edited:
I am very closed, apart from when talking to my long term best friend. I know somebody with suspected AS who is very open. He generally doesn't care what others think. If you ask him what he and his girlfriend did last night, he will give you the details!

It depends, because apparently I was found on google and it seemed like I was being a little too open with what I'm saying.
But IRL, I tend to actually be closed with myself but open with opinions.

Personally, I think I might be too open with regards to disclosing what happened in my life. Because I think it's always good to be honest, I thought. But honesty is an issue, the bigger issue, though, is being at ease for what I can truly be --- and I'd prefer it if I disclose less and just do my own things more.

But still, I will try to be open whenever possible. :D

Im just closed in altogether no matter what, I lost too much confidence over the past couple of years due to depression that I just suddenly just shut off at one point because it was just too severe.

Im just closed in altogether no matter what, I lost too much confidence over the past couple of years due to depression that I just suddenly just shut off at one point because it was just too severe.

Hope you can regain your confidence soon. :)

My openness also depends on my confidence, and my confidence changes from day to day so I suppose I'm a bit unpredictable.

Never mind, things will happen and we may never know what is our real confidence level, until we step out of our bed and wake up to continue another day of our lives.

I agree. Personally, I think I need to get off my backside and do some of the things that worry me so that I can see that there's nothing to be afraid of. That might boost my confidence. Still, easier said than done.

I'm too closed until I meet someone, then I'm the other extreme. Within our second conversation they know everything about my thoughts and feelings on life and stuff. Forget that light chit chat rubbish :p

I think it depends with me.

Mostly I consider myself closed even though I try to be open. I've always had trouble sharing my feelings and what's going on in my life irl and online. It's a process I'm still working on. I tend to close up whenever I feel overwhelmed or depressed and it doesn't take much for me to get upset over the drop of hat.

I've been accused of being way to open, most of my life. I tend to not really consider what others think about me, often doesn't occur to me that others could think about me. I feel everyone has their own issues and are more concerned with themselves than with judging me.

That said, I'm more manipulative than that implies, as I tend to be very open about 90% of everything so no one is aware of the 10% that I choose to keep to myself.

:mask:

There are some things I can be open about, but in general I'm normally a very private person. I don't want others to know every last detail of my life, and I tend to be very careful about what I say.

When I'm with my friends on the Internet, or out in the evening, I tend to be a little too open. When I'm with my family, I tend to be a lot more closed, or private.
:mask:

I tend to be too open and now I am learning to not be so open because it's a bad thing. People judge you or get the wrong idea about you. But I always feel I am not being honest if I don't admit things and I feel I am wearing a mask.

I know how you feel. I think you're supposed to learn what to say and what not to say to different categories of people, but then again those rules don't always apply to everyone. I prefer to be honest because it's easy, you just say what you think...more or less. But we do have to accept that we live in a society with all kinds of people and we do have to adjust in order to maintain certain status and to be accepted. If you have to be around people a lot it's a necessity to learn some communication tricks. For people with ASD it's crucial. I've been feeling that I'm wearing dozens of mask or that I'm like a robot or a machine of some sort (because of the need to "pretend" and follow the rules that I don't understand) since I was 4. A few years ago I decided to accept the fact that - yes, I will always be different, I will not understand the purpose of certain rules in the society, but people around me don't understand me either so both sides just have to adjust to each other. Unfortunately majority of "normal" people don't know much about Autism and if they do, the knowledge they have often is not enough to understand what it truly is, how autistic ( Asperger's, ASD mind truly works) that's why we often have to adjust to them not the other way around but I do believe it will change. It might take long time but it will happen.

New Threads

Top Bottom