• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you left or right handed?

Are you left or right handed?

• Left Handed

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Right Handed

Votes: 38 58.5%
  • Ambidextrous

Votes: 5 7.7%

• Total voters
For most autistics left brain is stronger than right, but left brain moves right side of the body, so it would be logical that autistics are more right handed.

I think I was supposed to be left-handed, but I distinctly remember not knowing which hand to use when I was learning to write, looking at what the person next to me was doing, and copying them. As a result, I grew up thinking I was right-handed, so some things (like writing) I learned to do with my right hand and so am better at using my right. Other things I naturally do with my left hand, or my left hand is better at. For reflexive reactions involving one hand, I typically use my left.

So overall, even though I use both hands, I don’t consider myself to be ambidextrous because my hands are not equally good/bad at everything, typically one will work better than the other, but it’s not consistent as to which one that will be.

I saw a Youtube video suggesting the same, that autistic people tend toward lefthanded but added Aspergers tend toward righthanded.
Further, Aspergers often have leftsided smile, and opposite for autism.
I have normal control on leftside of face, but I sometimes can't coordinate or instruct movement as well on rightside cheek area.

My right hand is my dominant hand, but I've noticed I can use my left hand quite easily for certain things, and sometimes it feels more natural to.

My brother who's also autistic is mostly left-handed.

Just wonderin. not mentally collecting any data anything to see if there are any correlations...

are you ambidextrous?

I am left handed

I write with my left hand, cup using scissors with my right.
Use a hammer either way but chop wood with the axe in the right.

So I suppose I am ambidextrous

Mostly right handed. I write with my right hand, use the computer mouse with right hand, cut with my right hand but I open doors with either hand and I mostly use a knife with my right hand.

I'm left handed, I can write backwards better than forwards with my right hand, but it basically cant write. Right hand scissors. Ambidextrous screwdriver, drill, hammer. My right hand pretty much can't write. I struggle to read my own writing unless I'm in an absolutely perfect mindset, and I might be being optimistic about that even.

Left-handed here. However as a child, was forced to use (at least eat) with my right due to outdated cultural taboos. Now I'm wondering if this forced change and living in a world where most things are made for right-handers is the reason why we have a lot of mental issues

Now I'm wondering if this forced change and living in a world where most things are made for right-handers is the reason why we have a lot of mental issues
Autism (apart from co-morbids) has many similarities to being left-handed in a right-handed world.

I used to be Ambidextrous, before the school system decided to make me not Ambidextrous. Now I am primarily left handed, but right handed with some things.

Use left hand to write & paint, right hand to use keys and open packets, jars, padlocks, bicycle lock, & for some reason the dials on the radio. Mostly lefty but some right.

I wasn't trying to "flex".

Basic statistic. My best friend growing up was left handed. My grandpa and oldest niece are left handed. I work with three people who are left handed. It is like eye colour, just something innate. No more, not less.

Not every interaction needs a rebuttal. A fact is a fact. Merely that. Completely neutral.

New Threads

Top Bottom