• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you ever the target of bullying but don't understand why?

I dont know about everyone else, but I always think this is one of the worst parts about being on the spectrum. We have/produce a problem, we dont see that problem. Others point it out... often more than once... we still dont see the problem. Just cant grasp it sometimes.

Sure happens to me sometimes. Even if I know it happens at times, I'll still get thwarted by it anyway.

So correct. Myself, l have really had to work on myself. We are uncensored in our thought patterns and we don't understand that until the mob shows up to hunt us down. Some of it is not beating ourself up, and the other is that a lot of people don't get us or our humor so our social circles stay small.

Have noticed that if people have known me for awhile, then my shockjock comments make them laugh. Howard Stern made a career out of this.

Last edited:
Myself, l have really had to work on myself. We are uncensored in our thought patterns and we don't understand that until the mob shows up to hunt us down. Some of it is not beating ourself up, and the other is that a lot of people don't get us or our humor so our social circles stay small.
I have two friends. One is definitely Neurodiverse the other probably is too and I’m definitely ND.

Anyway, we were out for a meal tonight and I was told nicely over conversation to stop criticising myself. They’re the only people apart from my ex who is also neurodiverse who understands and accepts me as I am. I’ve always either had no friends or one or two true friends at the most that I actually go out and see. Not so regularly, but that’s going to change.

Last edited:
To answer the queston in the thread title, yes. I was bullied in my first year in primary school and I shouted 'why?' back at the bullies, because I couldn't understand why the were singling me out for this, and that earned me the nickname 'Why".

I have struggled with Oppositional Defiance Disorder that is said to be a result of autism. The feelings that everyone is against me and why do they exclude me? For some of us, being oppositional comes from being different and that hurts a great deal. A lot of good advice has been given above. Do an inventory of your beliefs, thoughts, and actions towards others. What part do you play in your own rejection? I am speaking from my heart on this, as I have had several years of counseling to address oppositional defiance. In the past, family and friends would mention that they need the script that I have expected of them. My childhood unmet needs are getting projected onto those around me. The problem is, they cannot fill the void and make me well. I would encourage you to lessen activities that trigger oppositional thoughts and view more peaceful and serene environments: nature, art, music, reading, writing, etc. Remember, you do not need approval from anyone. You are valuable just the way you are; however, if you choose to progess yourself in life, it will take some introspection, humility, and desire to heal.

I was bullied all throughout school up until high School. There were two kids who followed me around the playground and threw rocks at me during recess. I tried to get away from them, but they followed me everywhere I went. I asked them why they were doing it, but they ignored me and kept throwing rocks until I finally snapped and jumped one of them. That kind of stuff went on far too often. I never did find out why they hated me so much. Another time a big group of kids followed me through the corridor at school insulting me and laughing at me. There was a girl who I had always thought seemed like a nice person, and she joined in with them. I asked her why they were doing it, but she didn't answer either. None of them would tell me why. They told me they hated my voice. They told me I was ugly. They laughed at me and made fun of me. It was really painful to live through. I was always nice to everyone, but they bullied me anyway.

New Threads

Top Bottom