• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you an early bird or a night owl?

Night owl, always been one since I was younger and find I cannot switch my mind off and also it’s when I am my most creative and do my drawings mostly at night.

I'm like Tic - when I was young I was both. Always last one asleep and first one up and ready to go. I used to sit up by myself watching Dracula movies on weekends. I always preferred being up at night - my sister used to always refer to me as a vampire because of my sleep habits.
Now, and the majority of my adulthood - definitely a night person. For years, I've not been good at functioning in the morning.
Oh, and my kids used to hate that they could never stay awake long enough for me to fall asleep so they could sneak out and do things. lol

I'm like Tic - when I was young I was both. Always last one asleep and first one up and ready to go. I used to sit up by myself watching Dracula movies on weekends. I always preferred being up at night - my sister used to always refer to me as a vampire because of my sleep habits.
Now, and the majority of my adulthood - definitely a night person. For years, I've not been good at functioning in the morning.
Oh, and my kids used to hate that they could never stay awake long enough for me to fall asleep so they could sneak out and do things. lol

I'd always stay up until the TV signed off (good old days) then sometimes after that play music through my headphones or play legos. Or search for distant channels on clear nights since we lived on top of a hill. I'd always be the one to reset the clocks twice at year at 2 am. I'd get up in the morning at 6am and read the phone book or TV guide, laying on a heat register or by the woodstove. One temporary obsession was figuring out what all the cable channels and their symbols were from the guide, since we never had cable. There weren't so many channels back then.

Used to be a night owl, but for several years and including now, a morning bird.

I prefer to get up around 6. Generally it is 6:30. I like to embrace the day.

I guess I'm a bit of both. I like late evenings best for relaxing, but early mornings best for concentrating. So when I'm working I try to get up early to get into the office (where it's also nice and relaxing to be alone for the first couple of hours), but when I'm on vacation I end up staying up to the small hours and then sleeping until noon.

I'd always stay up until the TV signed off (good old days) then sometimes after that play music through my headphones or play legos. Or search for distant channels on clear nights since we lived on top of a hill. I'd always be the one to reset the clocks twice at year at 2 am. I'd get up in the morning at 6am and read the phone book or TV guide, laying on a heat register or by the woodstove. One temporary obsession was figuring out what all the cable channels and their symbols were from the guide, since we never had cable. There weren't so many channels back then.
Yes, 3 channels. Sometimes you could get another one but it was too snowy to watch. The sign off was usually my bedtime. I could get my flashlight and read Hitchcock stories under the covers but at some point my mom would notice and yell at me to turn it off and go to sleep.

Used to be a night owl, but for several years and including now, a morning bird.

I prefer to get up around 6. Generally it is 6:30. I like to embrace the day.
I used to tell people that I could sit up till 6, but could not get up at 6.

How does that work?

Anyways, I'm a night owl myself.

I can go to sleep early and wake up early if that's what my schedule demands or I can stay up late and sleep in if I can and have things to do into the night, but neither is especially comfortable, preferable, enjoyable, etc.

Yup, night owl, in fact l prefer late jobs, later starting hours. 1am is a perfect time to go to bed, but l do change if the job requires it.

I like slow starting days. Ones where I can get up early, and have a couple of hours to spare before I need to be anywhere. I'm usually not fully awake when I get up, so I enjoy mornings where I don't have to rush, days that allow me to wake up and mentally prepare at a more leisurely pace. You're better off making conversation with me after the morning has ended. Otherwise it'll probably be fairly half-hearted.

3PM until 9PM seems to be my ideal time period in the day.

Trying to learn anything new before lunch, or after 9PM usually doesn't go as well for me. I like late afternoons and early evenings. Particularly sunsets and twilight; watching the day fade into night.

I am usually the happiest during the evening, but if I stay up too late I usually regret it. Oversleeping leaves me feeling groggy. Admittedly, my creativity does sometimes tempt me out of bed at unwise hours. My mind has a habit of racing about wildly when I lie my head down to rest. Well, more than it usually does anyway. Except for when I have random bouts of inspiration during the day when I'm in a creative mood (typically in the afternoon or early evening).

So, in conclusion, I'd say that I'm more of a night owl. I enjoy the later hours of the day more. But I like to get up early so I have more time to prepare for the day ahead and fully wake up.

Last edited:
I am technically both- I wake up early, nap in the day, and then stay up late. The weird sleep schedule actually fits my current life situation quite well.

I am slow to start up and slow to shut down. That makes it easier for me to be a night owl than an early bird.

In the evening, I do everything I can to make my morning easier - I set out my clothes and pre-prep breakfast the night before.

I try to schedule the easier tasks for my first two hours or so at work. I am most productive in the afternoon. I get tired by the evening and it's getting easier and easier for me to go to bed on time (instead of being a night owl and then being completely unproductive the next day).

Extreme night owl.

I go to bed at 2-5am.

I go to bed as early as 12 or 1am when it is a school day.

I love the dark skies and the fact that it is quiet.

New Threads

Top Bottom