• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you an early bird or a night owl?

Sir Bedlam

Independent Writer and Game Developer
I've always been a night owl. I have terrible insomnia and I wake up late, but I usually gain more energy later in the day. It's like my brain only wants to become active in the evening, regardless of my sleep schedule.

I'm just curious about anyone else here.

I don't know, to be honest. Some days staying long and waking up late, some days on the contrary. If I could choose, I would sleep half in the middle of the night and a half in the middle of the day. I really enjoy the quiet of late evenings and early mornings.

Night owl 100%

I don't get tired until about 11 PM at night... Even on a work day... Although I don't usually stay up much later than 1 AM

In the morning I don't have much energy, but I will wake up... Weekdays I'm up at 5:30 for work... On the weekend I'll get up at 8 AM or so, but generally very little energy still... I do much better in the evening

I think when I was younger I was a night owl but I retrained myself, probably with the help of three children. Now I get up early, find it hard to sleep in even if I try and I also feel upset if I do sleep in a bit. I feel like I've lost time. Grr. I actually wish there were more waking hours in the day because I have so much I want to do and there is never enough hours!!

I also have sleeping issues at times. Usually when I'm stressed, high anxiety. Most of the time though I sleep okay.

If I could choose, I would sleep half in the middle of the night and a half in the middle of the day.

I quite like the idea of siestas too. I have tried and I couldn't make it work for me. If I sleep during the day I wake up feeling awful and, if I'm honest, a little cranky :mad: However, I would imagine that if I made it habitual it would get easier.

Can't say I have a regular pattern.

generally speaking I wont fall asleep if I'm not tired. (or relaxed enough)

there are times I would state I'm definitely a night owl,

and then other times whereby falling asleep before 22.00hrs and being awake to greet a new dawn is the best thing ever.

I don't seem to have any pattern I recognise (yet)

I think when I was younger I was a night owl but I retrained myself, probably with the help of three children.
Yeah, I'm still pretty young, but I've started getting tired a bit sooner than I used to at night. I'm sure some of that has to do with the fact that I'm just always low on sleep!

I usually go to bed at 11:00 PM and get up around 8:00 AM. I am a light sleeper so if I hear any kind of noise, I wake up and am unable to go back to sleep for at least an hour. Last night I kept hearing a rattling noise from a fan and I only got four hours of sleep. This kind of thing happens about once a week and I sleep an hour or two more the next morning. I am afraid that I am going to be so tired one morning that I will sleep about half the day and miss work.

Yeah, I'm still pretty young, but I've started getting tired a bit sooner than I used to at night. I'm sure some of that has to do with the fact that I'm just always low on sleep!

Young people tend to need more sleep too. I know all mine did.

I think that has been exacerbated by technology that we carry with us all the time too. I'm not saying it's 100% bad, but the reality is it comes with good and bad. I have what I would call a bad habit of liking to fall asleep while watching tv in bed. It's comforting to me so even though I know it's not the most ideal (health and sleep wise) I'm not trying to change right now.

PS I really love your profile picture. What a gorgeous (and funny) cat :)

Last night I kept hearing a rattling noise from a fan and I only got four hours of sleep.

That must be hard. I can be noise sensitive but I don't usually get bothered by much at night. Except things like the cats getting into stuff. Last night I could hear a cat licking a bowl in the kitchen. I figured one of my kids had left something on the bench after I went to bed. In the end I was annoyed so I yelled out to the cat to stop it. Then my kid yelled back from the bedroom 'it's me eating cereal!' It was funny. Once I knew it wasn't the cat I was fine. :p

Re your worry about sleeping in and missing work. Do you set multiple alarms?

I'm like a mid morning bird sort of, I like to sleep in till later but I also want to goto bed early. When I have to get up earlier for work during the week it's such a huge task to do.

I am a light sleeper so if I hear any kind of noise, I wake up and am unable to go back to sleep for at least an hour. Last night I kept hearing a rattling noise from a fan and I only got four hours of sleep.
I can really relate to this. I'm also a light sleeper, and apart from anxiety, I think that's a big part of my insomnia. Any noise has the potential to wake me up, even white noise if it's too loud, so it's especially hard in the summer because air conditioners keep me awake. Plus I live in a noisy house.

PS I really love your profile picture. What a gorgeous (and funny) cat :)
Thank you! That's Chester. He walked over to me, rolled onto his back and gave me that look after he realized I had taken his picture without him knowing.

I've always been a night owl. I have terrible insomnia and I wake up late, but I usually gain more energy later in the day. It's like my brain only wants to become active in the evening, regardless of my sleep schedule.

I'm just curious about anyone else here.
Night owl.

Total night owl. I can't stand even the thought of getting up early. Tod bad our society thinks getting up early and running doing 50 things at once around like a maniac is a good thing.

When I was a kid I used to be both. I'd be the last one to bed well after midnight, and the first one up at 6am.

Now I'd say night owl. Don't like getting up early, but I do it if I have to. But at any age, I've had problems getting to sleep. But when it hits me it really does. I've had books fall on my face and have fallen asleep at the keys on more than one occassion.

Always a night owl.
Low energy in first part of day.
Feel better in the late afternoons, evenings and at night.
I go to bed when a lot of people are getting up.
Now that I don't work I can sleep half the day.
Even when I did work, I worked nights or afternoons into the night.
Too bad our society thinks getting up early and running doing 50 things at once around like a maniac is a good thing.
I always said the same thing. :confused:

I usually go to bed at 11:00 PM and get up around 8:00 AM. I am a light sleeper so if I hear any kind of noise, I wake up and am unable to go back to sleep for at least an hour. Last night I kept hearing a rattling noise from a fan and I only got four hours of sleep.

Happens to me as well. That's why I only lie down when I feel more exhausted than tired. Otherwise, I will have trouble falling asleep and may not sleep at all. I suppose you could say that I don't fall asleep but loose consciousness when my brain is tired enough to slow down.

Something in between. I go to bed at midnight at the earliest and get up somewhere between 8 and 9. My work schedule dictates the hours I sleep.

New Threads

Top Bottom