• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are the sort who does not want romance or a romantic partner??

lovely_darlingprettybaby

V.I.P Member
What do u do then?
If you do not like it and never want a relationship but are still lonely?
What if you do not want intimate relations and have even tried it, did not enjoy it and was not for you?
Anyone else feel like this?
How do you solve loneliness if you do not like this or enjoy it?
I mean I have childhood trauma so I can not live with my parents my whole life, I do not think. And most people get partners so you can not live with friends
So then what?

I'm definitely on the "do not want" side.

To be 100% honest I find the idea of me being in a relationship to be... repulsive. I dont mean the concept of it... I get that most people DO like it. But for me, personally, well... yeah it isn't happening.

And as for intimacy... *shudder* I generally try to not even think about that. I can't even watch that in like a show or something, gotta skip it.

Loneliness? Uh... I don't know that one doesn't usually go through my head really. I tend more towards solitude than most, I think. The idea of having someone just CONSTANTLY around me sounds like a road to madness.

I was in many relationships before and none of them worked (my fault)

So I've come to realize that I'm not one to be in a relationship and really enjoy my loneliness

Is the idea of a relationship out of the window? Well... no

But I need to work on myself before I start anything and that will take a while

Yes. I'm another do not want a romantic relationship.
I was content to live with my parents until they died. That was how I felt comfortable and not lonely. Nature and animals were my main companions.

I have had long term relationships, but when you are asexual, it is difficult to find another who just likes being with you and having fun together.
There was a semi- romantic attraction. Just not what most people search for like being coupled or married. The emotion was a little more than just friends.
And I did find some that were happy being in that type of relationship.

Currently I do not have that type of relationship with anyone.
I do live in the same house with someone I rent part of the home from. It is plutonic, but it gives a sense of not being totally alone.
Sometimes we share a movie or eat together. Sometimes we fuss.
He has a controlling, overbearing personality.

I've never lived 24/7 totally alone. Don't know if I would like it or not.
May soon find out though.

What do u do then?
If you do not like it and never want a relationship but are still lonely?
What if you do not want intimate relations and have even tried it, did not enjoy it and was not for you?
Anyone else feel like this?
How do you solve loneliness if you do not like this or enjoy it?
I mean I have childhood trauma so I can not live with my parents my whole life, I do not think. And most people get partners so you can not live with friends
So then what?
Get a cat

Agree with @Aunty Autie, a dog or a cat is a healthy way of having a loving companion without having to deal with people. Simply taking the time to pet a dog or cat can actually lower your blood pressure. Having a pet to take care of is also a way to give you some meaning in your life by giving you a responsibility, someone to teach, someone to love. You both are going to need some exercise, so grab the leash and have someone to walk with you.

I longed for a relationship for many years but was never satisfied even when I had one. But in the past few years I’ve realized that what I really wanted was true friendships, and not a relationship. I had not experienced friendships in which I actually felt connected before, and I thought having a romantic partner was the only way to really feel connected with someone. But I don’t think like that any longer.

If you feel the sting of loneliness but are not interested in having a romantic partner, I think the answer is friends. May they be humans or animals, companionship comes in many different forms. This place has massively reduced my loneliness.

Other things that have helped:

- Having a job that involves some people (if working is not within one’s capabilities, maybe volunteering somewhere).

- As others have mentioned, pets. If actually having a pet is not an option, again, volunteering, minding other peoples’ pets, or just getting out into nature and seeking wild animals can also help.

- Spend time strengthening your hobbies. Too much time to linger on sad thoughts of the past or anxious thoughts of the future leaves me in a bad state. Spending time learning things and doing the things that I love curbs feelings of loneliness for me.

- Don’t idealize relationships. To me, the idea of a really good relationship was nice sometimes, but when I think it through the reality of relationships is not actually something that I want in my daily life.

I longed for a relationship for many years but was never satisfied even when I had one. But in the past few years I’ve realized that what I really wanted was true friendships, and not a relationship. I had not experienced friendships in which I actually felt connected before, and I thought having a romantic partner was the only way to really feel connected with someone. But I don’t think like that any longer.

If you feel the sting of loneliness but are not interested in having a romantic partner, I think the answer is friends. May they be humans or animals, companionship comes in many different forms. This place has massively reduced my loneliness.

- Having a job that involves some people (if working is not within one’s capabilities, maybe volunteering somewhere).

- As others have mentioned, pets. If actually having a pet is not an option, again, volunteering, minding other peoples’ pets, or just getting out into nature and seeking wild animals can also help.

- Spend time strengthening your hobbies. Too much time to linger on sad thoughts of the past or anxious thoughts of the future leaves me in a bad state. Spending time learning things and doing the things that I love curbs feelings of loneliness for me.

- Don’t idealize relationships. To me, the idea of a really good relationship was nice sometimes, but when I think it through the reality of relationships is not actually something that I want in my daily life.

I agree with a lot of this. I also think of the title of an old Margaret Cho standup special: I'm the One that I Want. I wonder if this is how many people really feel.

I mean I'm both asexual and (recently realized) that I'm aromantic as well, so the thought of being in a romantic relationship with anyone else is just...something that I don't have. I'm not lonely or bothered by it, I've just never had any interest in that kind of thing and I prefer being by myself, I'd say I'm honestly happiest when I'm alone. Other people are such a bother.

You know. Once I am psychologically in a better place, I think I'd like to have a pet. I am not opposed to being around people either, though I cannot stand being around them for long periods. It definitely has made living with my Uncle difficult.

But as far as loving relationships. I may try, though I have a suspicion that I will not get anything out of doing that. It's almost funny how much my uncle uses the example of being in that type of relationship and having a family once I fix my issues. That's honestly assuming much.

I may finally get my drivers license. But I am sceptical about getting a significant other. Let alone having kids. I don't know if I'd be cut out for that.

I'm retired.

Economically, socially and romantically as well.

Craving solitude, but also accepting some loneliness in the process.

I think the main question you're after has to do with loneliness.

There is nothing lonelier than being in the wrong relationship with the wrong person. It's much better to be alone than to be in the wrong company. Besides, should you live alone, that doesn't mean you live your life in a vacuum. You still have friends, they still come over for dinner, you can still go to concerts with them. If anything, you become more aware of how tied down your friends are to their kids, their dog, their spouse's schedule.

But true loneliness, no amount of friends can fix that. That's a between you and yourself thing. Other people may offer a pleasant distraction but, at the end of the day when everyone else has gone home, when your spouse has turned in and the kids have fallen asleep on the couch--you are still left with you. Who are you then? That's the person you should make peace with.

Go, find out who you are. Start a hobby. Join a group that meets once a month at the library. Keep a journal and record your likes and dislikes. Keeping a journal is a lot like storing things in a time capsule. You can read it five years from now and see if you still like/dislike those things. (It's kind of fun.) Continue your education. Volunteer. Make an elderly friend. Invest yourself in people who aren't able to give back to you--like crocheting a blanket to donate to your hospital for an expectant, low-income mother you will never meet.

Have you thought of sitting or visiting with cancer patients? I have found that those who want to live, whose time is being cut short in a most horrific way, sometimes have the clearest grasp on what the most important things in life are.

If you don't have people in your life who you care about but you want those people in your life, then consider going into a career as a nurse, or a social worker, or a teacher. You will find a world of people out there who could really use your help. A few of those whom you help may turn into true friends.

I live with friends and I deal with loneliness. Yet I'm surrounded by a very warm and welcoming family. Let me tell you, it's not on them that I deal with loneliness. No--the problem is with me and my perception. So I try to acknowledge that and be responsible for myself. For example, I've picked up a new hobby, I'm planning on continuing my education, and tomorrow I'm going to help an elderly friend with some housework. Now, I am not someone who looks forward to housework. But I know that after I go and do the work, and after I've visited a while, I'll feel better about myself as a human being because I chose to do the right thing. Besides, I really like my friend and do feel a bit honored that she'd reach out to me like this.

I think a near cousin of loneliness is selfishness. So if you're looking to cure loneliness, then you may want to ask yourself if you have any areas of selfishness that might need to be addressed. Selflessness--freely giving of yourself, your time, and abilities to another--is a profound healer of another related crime, which is the question of usefulness or purpose. This is going to sound crazy, but the more that I think about it as I'm writing this, the more it makes sense that the only way we can find ourselves is to empty ourselves, and we empty ourselves when we give of ourselves selflessly.

Hope this helps!

I have mixed feelings about it. When I was 15 I made a girl I liked angry, and I felt awful. It felt probably as bad as many love songs describe it. It was then that I decided I didn’t want to date. I wanted to spare myself from such sad feelings. Over the years many people encouraged me to date, but I resisted. I considered dating an optional thing in life, and in the end, I still do. I still found many girls and women attractive. I had the desire to be affectionate with them, but I couldn’t think of any way for that to be done.

Around the time my father got ill and was on the road to dying, people were still encouraging me to date, and I really started thinking about it. The first time a woman asked me out, I took a chance and said yes. I’ve only had two dates in my life, both initiated by the women themselves. Neither one lasted more than one date. The feeling of being with them certainly was a thrill. But when the relationships ended, I was certainly heartbroken. It felt really bad. They were also both women at the program for people with learning disabilities that I attend events at, so I still see them there when I go. It hurts to have to see them.

Right now I still use my dating apps. I’m still trying to get into a relationship, even though I’m unsure if that’s what I really want (maybe I should at least avoid trying to get into relationships with women at the program). If I’m never able to get into a relationship with someone, I’d be happy with just a cuddle buddy (a friend I can spend time cuddling with – it’s a thing) – several of them would be the ultimate.

Here's an article that makes a case against romantic relationships:

Loneliness is part of life, even people with massive friend groups feel lonely.

So therefore, what I do, something I like. Some things effectively mimic human interaction, like streamers that share their day with their followers. Simple and don't think too much of it or judge myself over it because that would be judging myself for feelings, which is pretty nonsensical.

Loneliness can come as a result of other things, like human interaction, so in that case I use my brain to solve the problems. Everything that is displeasing will eventually find its resolve, at least for me.

When I was single, it got really hard to find things to do at times. Going outside keeps your head healthier and more in the present, I think. Not to mention you don't have to actively spend your energy spoons on it, things just distract you.

Life is suffering, but I don't tolerate it endlessly. We have evolved to avoid pain and hardship.

Last edited:
Agree that l was content to do without, yet l seem to find different types of partners. So l just keep an open mind, because on my own maybe to much of a struggle. Happy to have met the people in this lifetime. I haven't been on my best, yet they tolerated me, and tried to stay friends.

Relationships burn me out.

I had two long (~5 years) ones, one less long and a few others that lasted for a couple of months. I would add that break-ups also consume a huge amount of mental energy for a long time (before, meanwhile and after).

I tried my really best, they did not end well and my mental health declined greatly because of them. I'm considering having shorter ones, but the length is something difficult to manage or predict so I don't know about that.

Friends and animals are good alternatives but I think that ultimately you must find a passion and help others.

PS: Not a native speaker.

I think it’s more like the universe don’t want me to have it, more than me not wanting it. But even so, I’m perfectly chill with being single. It’s exhausting just keeping up with people platonically. Plus I wouldn’t know the first thing about dating, I’m pretty old fashioned and sheltered.

I think it’s more like the universe don’t want me to have it, more than me not wanting it. But even so, I’m perfectly chill with being single. It’s exhausting just keeping up with people platonically. Plus I wouldn’t know the first thing about dating, I’m pretty old fashioned and sheltered.
I get you, it took me a massive amount of energy/time to adapt myself to society, particularly dating-wise. BTW, I know that masking may not be the best way to interact with people, but after 35 years of life I think I've finally found a somewhat good middle ground.

If you find platonic relationships exhausting, you may discover that non-platonic ones are like titanic quests, you will in fact need a huge HP bar. Even if both parts give their best, which I believe is my case.

Or maybe not lol, perhaps you have a really nice experience, everyone has their own, I don't want to encourage anybody to stop trying (nor start trying)... There's a bit of luck I guess.

★★☆☆☆
But I'm ranking having a girlfriend a 2/5 stars experience would not recommend.

New Threads

Top Bottom