• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are some Uber taxi drivers prejudiced against people with autism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually whether or not you leave feedback first is a really good point, I usually leave feedback straight away which probably doesn't help either, but this again shows how flawed and unfair this rating system can be

So are you going to change your Uber strategy?

1. Get a new account if possible.
2. Never leave feedback first.

The system may be flawed, certainly for your honest,objective approach.

Remember it's the NT world.

Nothing is what it says on the tin.

As autistic people do, I think this is a misreading of social cues in a new context.
(As we are all prone to do)
In the context is feedback, the game is still a deceitful twist where objectivity and honesty are not required.

Get the new habit, new personal uber rules,you'll have an easier time of it.

Will you do it?
:)
Go on. Make my day.

Remember they're playing a different game from us.

i avoid any of these stupid apps that are costing people their jobs,
- will always try to buy at a shop, and only buy online if there is no alternative
- will always use a cab, and never uber
- any business that doesn't have human customer support, i won't shop with

ict will most likely eventually be cheaper and more efficient, at the end of the day we are all going to lazy ourselves into unenployment

human existence will be reduced to taking selfies, begging for likes and posting moronic opinions on twitter and facebook

we'll all be heroes in our own pathetic movies, woopdedoo

bring back the seventies:
- less choice in the shops
- higher prices for luxury goods
- get off your ass to see your friends
- be grateful that you are getting an education
- if you want to be treated like an adult, act like one, respect you elders, kids may think they know, but they don't, they should shut up until they actually contribute to society, and no this doesn't mean sharing you ignorant stupid opinions, it means paying taxes
- quality of consumption rather than quantity of something
- aspire to become something and reap the benefits, instead of bypassing teh work and feeling entitled to the benefits

i avoid any of these stupid apps that are costing people their jobs,
- will always try to buy at a shop, and only buy online if there is no alternative
- will always use a cab, and never uber
- any business that doesn't have human customer support, i won't shop with

ict will most likely eventually be cheaper and more efficient, at the end of the day we are all going to lazy ourselves into unenployment

human existence will be reduced to taking selfies, begging for likes and posting moronic opinions on twitter and facebook

we'll all be heroes in our own pathetic movies, woopdedoo

bring back the seventies:
- less choice in the shops
- higher prices for luxury goods
- get off your ass to see your friends
- be grateful that you are getting an education
- if you want to be treated like an adult, act like one, respect you elders, kids may think they know, but they don't, they should shut up until they actually contribute to society, and no this doesn't mean sharing you ignorant stupid opinions, it means paying taxes
- quality of consumption rather than quantity of something
- aspire to become something and reap the benefits, instead of bypassing teh work and feeling entitled to the benefits

Won't happen, none of it.

All I say though is bring back the 80's, when children's TV was considerably better IMO than anything that passes for kids' TV nowadays, in those days the BBC put out some classic stuff, dating as far back as the mid 60's right through to the mid to late 80's.

I can only guess, but I know that throughout my life I annoy NTs and they barely ever tell me to my face, instead they just moan about me behind my back and show distaste towards me, sometimes even making horrid jokes when I don't know what I've done wrong, I've had it at workplaces and when I've tried to go out with people. I suspect it's the way I talk and come across which is related to autism, but not tipping also won't help the situation. If I'd tipped more often I suspect some drivers would have rated higher, the rating system makes people afraid not to tip, but if I was a bubbly NT I strongly suspect my rating would had been at least average even without tipping and probably very good if I had tipped too.

I think the tipping thing is more of the answer than anything else. Anyone doing a job where it is customary to tip will be upset when no tip is received. I think your suspicion of a non-tipping neurotypical receiving a higher rating is unfounded. I'm not sure what the Uber driver sees, but if they are able to see their own rating for a repeat customer, this is a way for them to avoid picking people up that don't tip.

I think the tipping thing is more of the answer than anything else. Anyone doing a job where it is customary to tip will be upset when no tip is received. I think your suspicion of a non-tipping neurotypical receiving a higher rating is unfounded. I'm not sure what the Uber driver sees, but if they are able to see their own rating for a repeat customer, this is a way for them to avoid picking people up that don't tip.
Yet the rating is NOT supposed to be related to tipping, but I agree that it is at least partly the issue which shows that the system is not working as it should be and it's also wrongfully used as a way of pressuring customers to give a tip when in the UK at least it's totally optional and tips are often NOT given to taxi drivers. There are most definitely other reasons that some drivers rate low too however that aren't always fair and I still strongly suspect that my rating would have been higher if I was an NT, and much higher if I was an attractive young woman.

I noticed that the last 1 star I received was when the DRIVER took a wrong turn which was entirely his fault and instead of an apology he was horrid with an attitude about it, then I am the one to get 1 star for his terrible service, how fair is that? I rated him 1 star as he most definitely deserved because of his wrong turn followed by his awful attitude that made me feel very uncomfortable and then he most probably also rated tit for tat which in itself is a hugely unfair flaw in the system itself because you can't rate a driver badly first without them rating you badly back no matter how good you were as a passenger, this is utterly ridiculous and it is punishing customers when they receive a bad service while pressuring them not to rate the driver badly first, then if you don't rate it's a stupid waiting game to respond to who dares to rate first and sometimes bad drivers will end up not being rated at all for fear of them rating back badly which is totally wrong. Anyway if the driver had apologised and been pleasant I wouldn't have given him a 1 star and I would have just paid the extra, but under the circumstances I also claimed back the difference for the extra distance he shouldn't have driven so I got charged the correct fare for the distance he should have travelled which was my legal right, but if I'd done this before he rated this would have been another reason for giving the customer 1 star which again is totally wrong. The whole system is totally and utterly flawed, unfair and on top of that some drivers rate on their prejudices and later you are treated with prejudice and discrimination by other drivers cancelling jobs because they wrongfully think you're some sort of thug when you have done absolutely nothing wrong. In fact I'd go as far as to say that it's bordering on breaking UK discrimination laws in some cases and if they do get to keep their licence after a court hearing in London which London City Council are currently refusing, I hope part of the condition is also to remove this unfair rating system on the customer, as I said earlier, instead there should be a complaints system if a customer has broken the rules and the customer should then be informed with the right to respond Etc. so it's fair. Whatever happens in London is in my opinion likely to effect the rest of the country because if they lose in London other councils will most probably also refuse to renew their licence so it will probably be the end of Uber in the UK. Even if there are extra conditions for renewal which is what I suspect will happen, other councils are also likely to demand the same.

Last edited:
I've never heard of Uber Taxis before. So they rate their costumers? That's very strange, I think if anything we should be rating the drivers. Also "uber" comes from German and means "over", so their name really means "Over Taxi".:laughing:

I've never heard of Uber Taxis before. So they rate their costumers? That's very strange, I think if anything we should be rating the drivers. Also "uber" comes from German and means "over", so their name really means "Over Taxi".:laughing:

Yes, UBER has taken away much of the business of millions of taxi drivers. Passengers DO rate drivers as well as drivers rating passengers.

My friend and I are as far as I know perfect Uber taxi riders and quite often travel together, we are always at the location at the booking time, there's never been any payment issues, we are very respectful, neither of us drink, neither of us have ever caused any issues in any way what-so-ever for any driver and we have used Uber around 100 times. So I was quite shocked to see that I have an extremely low rating of only 4.2 out of 5, this may not seem low, but I've read that most riders have 4.8 or above and any riders lower than 4.6 are considered problematic, in fact I read that if a driver is rated lower than 4.5 after 50 jobs they're sacked so 4.2 is dire for a rider. I found out today when a taxi driver said that he couldn't understand why my rating was so low, he said that he was hesitant to pick me up, but he said I was fine and not bad as he expected, although this didn't shed any light on the reason. I now know why drivers repeatedly keep cancelling and refusing to come which is causing me issues. The only thing I can think of as an issue is that I come across as non friendly or different because I'm autistic and I also strongly suspect my friend is autistic too, obviously this is extremely unfair to say the least and now I feel like I'm being extremely prejudiced against every time I use them like I'm some sort of a thug because I'm autistic.

Obviously because I'm autistic I've always had issues with not fitting in with NTs disliking me behind my back, I never understand why and this appears to be yet another example. I'm also told that I often shout when to myself I sound like I'm talking at a normal volume, but some people have mistaken this for aggression in the past, telling me not to shout at them when I thought I was calmly talking normally.

I'm actually quite upset and will be complaining to Uber, but from past experience they're one of the very worst companies to deal with, for a start they have no phone number, no live chat and they don't reply to anything on their contact form for ages, then if when they do it's normally a pre-written standard reply that is useless and sometimes even irrelevant. I can be sure to get a standard response saying that they don't enter into any discussions about ratings without the person even properly reading it as soon as he/she sees the word "rating", because Uber's so called "customer service" really is that bad, if that happens what can I do about it?

Has anyone else had any rating issues with Uber that they simply can't understand or explain like this?

Hey! As I emailed Harry he sent me this back:

Date: May 2, 2018 at 2:48:39 PM CDT
To: Mary Anne
Subject: Re: Question about ratings

Hi Mary Anne,

I agree that some drivers do rate passengers low if they don't tip, but in general I haven't heard it affecting passengers getting picked up too much. We actually have a guide to passengers you might want to check out here :) The Ultimate Driver's Guide to Terrible Passengers

Hey! As I emailed Harry he sent me this back:

Date: May 2, 2018 at 2:48:39 PM CDT
To: Mary Anne
Subject: Re: Question about ratings

Hi Mary Anne,

I agree that some drivers do rate passengers low if they don't tip, but in general I haven't heard it affecting passengers getting picked up too much. We actually have a guide to passengers you might want to check out here :) The Ultimate Driver's Guide to Terrible Passengers
Well I don't fit into any of those categories, but people are all unique and shouldn't be put into categories that assume they're the same as everyone in the same category in the first place, also they are paying customers, they shouldn't be receiving prejudiced assessments from drivers when they're simply catching a taxi and unless they break the rules there shouldn't be any issue, plus I've already been through how flawed and potentially unfair this rating system can be. Regarding being picked up, as I've also mentioned before, the low rating definitely seems to affect it, allocated drivers now often cancel and there's quite a few times I have 7 or 8 drivers cancel and the system sometimes even eventually times out, this never used to happen.

Well I don't fit into any of those categories, but people are all unique and shouldn't be put into categories that assume they're the same as everyone in the same category in the first place, also they are paying customers, they shouldn't be receiving prejudiced assessments from drivers when they're simply catching a taxi and unless they break the rules there shouldn't be any issue, plus I've already been through how flawed and potentially unfair this rating system can be. Regarding being picked up, as I've also mentioned before, the low rating definitely seems to affect it, allocated drivers now often cancel and there's quite a few times I have 7 or 8 drivers cancel and the system sometimes even eventually times out, this never used to happen.

Well, you are now armed with enough info on this thread and the top Uber driver in the USA to make you rideshare experiences better, and more productive. I do hope you will be able to raise your rating. Best wishes!

Well, you are now armed with enough info on this thread and the top Uber driver in the USA to make you rideshare experiences better, and more productive. I do hope you will be able to raise your rating. Best wishes!
Yes thanks for your responses and thank you to everyone else who has contributed, there's been some interesting debates and useful info. :)

Tipping should be completely optional IMO, not a compulsory service charge, Uber are expensive anyway especially at "Peak" times.

But drivers wants tips, and that is really the only way to navigate using Uber. The world is not fair, and humans work for cash incentives. It does not good any other way and those who do not tip, act unfriendly, look or sound aggressive- no matter why or how- are going to be judged, stereotyped, and not given good ratings. All the complaining, and discussing it have been done and it will not change a thing.
If you CARE about your rating, then learn what you can do to encat real change (complaining will not help). We have learned that individual drivers DO rate by the tips they do NOT receive. It’s really quite simple now after this long thread: act nice, act pleasant, don’t be rude, messy, or demanding. AND MOST IMPPORTANTLY is to TIP. Have you ever heard the saying, “When in Rome, do as the Romans do.”
Well, the rest of the w9rld where UBER rideshares are...people TIP. End of discussion. Tip or expect very low ratings.

I went on other Uber driver forums, and they were so hostile to people who do not tip, that this is the number one reason people get low scores. So it’s easy: JUST TIP, and if you cannot afford to do so, then either tell them before they rate you that you have autism, you are on disability, and be very apologetic that you cannot afford to tip, but have no other means of getting to your destination. Be super nice and maybe they will be nice and give you a higher rating. That’s all I have in this entire matter.

FINIS.

My brother is an Uber driver here in Australia so I asked him about this. I asked if not being chatty could get you bad ratings and he said it's possible. He said if someone says they are busy on their phone or otherwise doing something it's no problem, but if someone appears to consider themselves superior to the driver this would get them a bad rating. So I would suggest you just say you want to do some work on your phone so not being rude will likely get you a better rating. Perceptions are more important than facts when dealing with people in this world.

. So I was quite shocked to see that I have an extremely low rating of only 4.2 out of 5, this may not seem low, but I've read that most riders have 4.8 or above and any riders lower than 4.6 are considered problematic, in fact I read that if a driver is rated lower than 4.5 after 50 jobs they're sacked so 4.2 is dire for a rider. I found out today when a taxi driver said that he couldn't understand why my rating was so low, he said that he was hesitant to pick me up, but he said I was fine and not bad as he expected, although this didn't shed any light on the reason. I now know why drivers repeatedly keep cancelling and refusing to come which is causing me issues. The only thing I can think of as an issue is that I come across as non friendly or different because I'm autistic and I also strongly suspect my friend is autistic too, obviously this is extremely unfair to say the least and now I feel like I'm being extremely prejudiced against every time I use them like I'm some sort of a thug because I'm autistic.
QUOTE]

“Harry the rideshareguy” sent me another email and I feel it’s a great tip. Can you get someone who, is not autistic that you trust, go along with you on your Uber rides? Note where he mentioned being “pleasant.” I am wondering if your low ratings are about shouting, sounding aggressive, and of course, not tipping. Can you work on any of those issues? Are you even willing to work on those issues? It’s up to you now.

This is what Harry sent me:

“It sounds like a difficult situation - in many cases, she will get a ride eventually, especially if she's in a city. Some drivers don't care about passenger ratings and will pick up everyone.

Are you able to ride with her once or twice and see what she's doing that's earning her a low rating? Some drivers do give a 1 star rating to passengers who don't tip, but not all drivers are like that. Many drivers will give passengers 5 star ratings if they are pleasant, even if they don't tip.

I would try to go with her on rides and see if you can offer some

I don't usually give a tip and you should NOT have to give a tip to get 5 star status, that's totally wrong and is a type of extortion because it's blackmailing you to give a tip,”

Pjcnet, have you been able to raise your rating since starting this thread? I hope so.

I got this yesterday in my email. Companies take an ever increasing potion of drivers money so understand that tipping is important.
Just thought to post this. Please read.

What's The Real Commission That Uber Takes From Its Drivers? [Infographic]

Pjcnet, have you been able to raise your rating since starting this thread? I hope so.

I got this yesterday in my email. Companies take an ever increasing potion of drivers money so understand that tipping is important.
Just thought to post this. Please read.

What's The Real Commission That Uber Takes From Its Drivers? [Infographic]
A few more recent trips increased my rating, then on one trip the driver was miserable with a really bad attitude as soon as I got in the car, I did absolutely nothing wrong what-so-ever and I even tried to make a special effort to be extra polite, but he just ignored me, then he still gave me a 1 star for absolutely nothing what-so-ever, so I gave him exactly what he deserved back which was 1 star as he gave me, but it still undid the good results I got before and again it proves how ridiculously unfair the system is. The driver seemed prejudice against me, perhaps because my score was already quite low, either that or he was having a bad day, but how is that my fault as a customer?

Uber are an awful company, they don't give a monkeys about their drivers or their customers, they only care about making as much money as possible and power which in this case is expansion, taking over as much of the market as possible. Because the drivers are not employed by Uber and are working for themselves it allows Uber to virtually treat them how they like without having to for instance ensure they earn a minimum wage, this is a common scam that works around the law in many countries like the UK with numerous positions where "employees" aren't really employees at all, but are working for themselves, the worst example is sales jobs where they earn commission only. The problem is Uber just want as many drivers as possible, they don't care if the system becomes saturated and many drivers don't make enough to live on as this doesn't effect them in a negative way. In fact the more drivers, the quicker customers are picked up on average which increases customer satisfaction and then more customers are likely to keep using them, if they lose a few drivers who can't afford to work any more for pittance or even make losses after forking out for car expenses Etc., then they don't care either as long as they have a steady flow of replacements. You could say that most private companies only really provide a good customer service because it helps them make more money in the long run by providing better customer satisfaction, but Uber have decided that the extra customer satisfaction gained from this isn't worth the extra money spent because most people use the service anyway even with a virtually non existent customer service with no phone number and virtually everything automated. Even if you go through all the menus to attempt to contact a real person using a contact form which is all there is available, you only ever get a standard reply after waiting a few days that sometimes isn't even relevant to what you've written, proving it hasn't been read properly.

It's however not the customer's fault that many Uber drivers have the word "sucker" written on their head to work with (not for) such a dire company as Uber in the first place and why should they give tips because Uber are over greedy by taking a ridiculously high percentage in record profits while they often struggle to make a profit at all? By giving driver's tips you are indirectly helping this horrid company, but of course you're helping them by using them at all.

I have already stopped using their sister company UberEATS who have an incredibly low score of just 1 out of 5 on Trustpilot which is normally only given to scammers and tyrants, because their standard of customer service is virtually non existent too and it's almost impossible to get them to refund or get any compensation which I found when there was problems with food deliveries, E.g. it doesn't arrive or items are missing which happens with them regularly. I am now looking at using other taxi services again too because I can no longer support such a dire company and they also don't even properly vet their drivers (many are awful and dangerous drivers, sometimes with faults on their vehicles too, E.g. safety belts are faulty as I've found more than once). It's no wonder that London Council are refusing to renew Uber's taxi licence, it's gone to appeal court at the moment and until then Uber are still allowed to operate. If they lose they will no longer be allowed to operate in London and I suspect the rest of the country in places like Birmingham will then follow suit, this is what Uber deserve. Unfortunately because they are now so powerful and for the sake of many innocent drivers who have been stupid enough to work with them, I suspect the court will partly back down and allow them to keep their licence under certain conditions that they improve which will probably be mostly met in the short term simply because they won't have any other choice, but this is likely to be tested again before long when it wears off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom