• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are people with ASDs picky eaters?

nintendogurl1990

When I was younger I was what adults call a "picky eater". I would only eat a few fruits (raisins, bananas), and NO vegetables. I would only eat carbs, sweets, meat and poultry. I eat more fruits and veggies now, but my diet is still mostly carbs and meats, which makes it rather challenging to eat out at restaurants and over at friends' houses because I never know what they are going to have for dinner. I eat mostly the same thing every day and don;t like to try new things that much. Does this sound like any of you?

Oh yeah, that is definitely me. I have been like that for pretty much as long as I can remember. I can recall my parents used to give me some grief about that in the past because they would make new things for dinner and very rarely would I ever like them. When I was in college I used to get the same food to eat at the dining hall all the time even though they had a lot of different foods to choose from. When I eat out, I almost always get either some sort of seafood or a cheeseburger. I particularly dislike foods that have very strong tastes, especially foods that are spicy or have a lot of seasoning in them in general. It's just way too overpowering for me and I really don't like that.

I'm also a picky eater. I would also call myself a repetitive eater too as I mainly eat the same foods over and over again dispite liking other foods that are available. My parents would be annoyed at me for not "eating what everyone else was eating" at dinner times. They would usually agree on a certain food for that day then have to make me something different. They used to say things like "I'm getting tired of cooking two different menu's... can't you learn to eat what we eat?". I don't blame them as I know it was awkward me always having to eat something different which meant more cooking for them to do.

I'd consider myself a picky eater. I used to pick the raisins out of muffins. I like raisins, but not when they are baked into something. :) Fruit in general has never been high on my list. Some food also just makes my throat go on strike, can't swallow. I have some variation in what I eat, but I usually go through long periods where I basically eat the same thing everyday.

I'd say I'm a repetitive eater, but not an especially picky one. I was a little bit of a picky eater when I was younger, but I think that may have been more of just a kid thing than an aspie thing.

I tend to like relatively plain and simple food and I generally don't like food that's really messy.

I too was a bit picky when young, but nowadays I eat just about everything, except that I try to avoid abalone, crabs / lobsters and oysters because of the toxic content. However if I have to then I'll eat, which is like never since they are expensive delicacies and so they are rarely eaten. And so I'm hardly affected.

The pragmatist in me thinks that it is wrong to make the caregiver cook like seperate food all the time. Of course, allergies are one thing, but I think this is one thing that AS shouldn't be affecting.....

I was very picky about what I ate when I was younger and was also a repetitive eater. The only things I actually wanted to eat at meal times were Bird's Eye potato waffles and buttered white bread with the crusts cut off or French stick, but what I used to do with that was hollow it out and leave the crust. I liked to eat plain foods, things I was familiar with, but if they were in a sauce of any kind I wouldn't go near them. Then when I was 10 I became obsessed with Yorkshire puddings, at one point they were all I was eating and I became very skinny. I've gone off them now though. I suppose I'm still a fairly picky eater now, although my diet does have a lot more variety in it, but even now there are certain foods I wouldn't like to try any time soon.

I too was a bit picky when young, but nowadays I eat just about everything, except that I try to avoid abalone, crabs / lobsters and oysters because of the toxic content.

I avoid oysters just because I think they're absolutely disgusting. I tried some fried oyster once, and I thought that it was just about the worst thing I had ever put in my mouth. I don't even want to think about what raw oysters are like. :eew:

In general, I'm "ok" with most seafood, but it isn't one of my favorites.

I find I am definitely a repetitive eater if left on my own. I remember when I first moved out on my own I ate the same thing everyday for over a year (except when I went out with friends). However, I have always been willing to try almost anything once.

I find I am definitely a repetitive eater if left on my own. I remember when I first moved out on my own I ate the same thing everyday for over a year (except when I went out with friends). However, I have always been willing to try almost anything once.

With me, I have grown to like a wide range of foods, even some I didn't like before, but I always have a habit of ordering a similar food combination when eating out. At home I usually eat the same sort of foods all the time.

I am a bit of the other way around. I like weird foods.
I like squid, fish eggs, octopus, kimchi, jellyfish, anchovy,
clams, mussels, sharkmeat, raw veggies, sea urchin's eggs,
and barbecued eels.

I don't hate the other stuff but I get saturated quickly
on things like hamburgers, pizza, stew, meatloaf, quickly and I cannot
stand them after awhiole.

I live in the US, but I am often called "UnAmerican", which
does not bug me, I am also called "International" or "Diverse"
which I'd prefer or just "You don't act like a North American."
Or UnAmerican if you must :) hehe

I am actually of English heritage 4 generations ago
but I don'tknow if that means much except influence
from Grandpa.

Last edited:
I am not and never have been a picky eater. I have always been rather adventuresome when it comes to food. So I'm a lot like Little Tigger. My neighbors think I am strange and tell me if I get married I will have to change my eating/cooking ways because no man will accept the way I eat. Well I don't have any interest in getting married anyway and if I did why would I want to marry someone who just liked boring old things?

My sister, now, she is a champion picky eater and always has been. I suspect that she is on the spectrum but it is masked by the fact that she also has a physical disability. But I don't dare suggest that to her or she will fly into a rage.

I would have been but I was raised by my grandad and I was forced to clear my plate and eat what I was given. In a way I should thank him because I can eat most things except for shop bought mayonnaise and peas. I like texture in my food so always add something to give a salad or dessert a crunch.

My son on the other has not had a strict upbringing so food is a massive issue for him. He won't even try certain things but he has got better. He's very set in his ways. I have some food habits however. Currently I have an addiction of tesco fruit and fibre. I eat a box a day on top of my other meals and have it with unsweetened almond milk mmmmm :)

I am not and never have been a picky eater. I have always been rather adventuresome when it comes to food. So I'm a lot like Little Tigger. My neighbors think I am strange and tell me if I get married I will have to change my eating/cooking ways because no man will accept the way I eat. Well I don't have any interest in getting married anyway and if I did why would I want to marry someone who just liked boring old things?

My sister, now, she is a champion picky eater and always has been. I suspect that she is on the spectrum but it is masked by the fact that she also has a physical disability. But I don't dare suggest that to her or she will fly into a rage.
Marry me!!!!!

I am not a picky eater and, I will try any food once, perhaps never again as is the case with me and balut. Only food I've found that I absolutely could not make myself swallow even the first bite of - I still get the creeps just remembering that experience. I find it a bit odd too since I have no problem eating sweetbreads, brains, offal or, various suckling animals but, that balut - no way.

When I was a kid, I was more picky, wouldn't eat anything red like tomatoes, apples, berries, etc.. and, I wouldn't eat anything that was both creamy and soft like avocado, custard and such. I love all of those things now but, as a kid, forget it, I would simply go hungry rather than eat those things.

I am a rather picky eater. It all depends on the food presented. I only eat foods that are familiar and taste good to me.

I too am a picky eater. It's like I am afrad to try anything else. When I try to force myself to try something new. It's like I start gagging. Just putting in my mouth feel disgusting. What's funny though, if I can endure it enough. I've found that about 1 out of 20 foods out there I like. But ya. It's quite the ordeal.

I have texture issues so I guess I could be classified as one. I only eat certain kinds of meat and veggies, and I refuse to eat two kinds of food in the same mouthul (except chocolate and almonds).

New Threads

Top Bottom