• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Apergers medications and other mental conditions

I got my psychiatric assessment and they added adhd to the long list of disorders.

I feel he hasn't a clue of my exact diagnoses, there is no way a person can have all these disorders.

My doctor says I am too guarded any advice that might be able to allow me to be more relaxed and know that they will not lock me up?

They can't lock you up against your will unless you are an immediate danger to yourself or others. Beyond that, remember your doctor is there to help you -- the more you tell him, the more he can help.

Does anyone have any other mental conditions besides Aspergers?

What are they?

What meds and dosages do you take?

I am officially diagnosed with Aspergers and schizo-affective disorder and also have social anxiety, depression, agoraphobia I currently take 15mg of adderal, 4mg of abilify along with 20mg of prozac

Do you find any of them are working?

The only ones I find that work are adderal and maybe abilify, but I am unsure about that.

I have additional social anxiety, depression, and learning disability NOS.

I use 20 mg of Cipralex for depression and social anxiety in the morning. It seems to work on a significant level but does not take care of all my other cognitive issues.

I do not use other medications but I do use nutritional supplements to help me function more proficiently in social settings and mentally challenging situations like serving customers at a grocery store. I find amino acids helpful in my case but some amino acids like L-tyrosine cannot be taken with MAO inhibitors. Cipralex is in a different class of medication that is safe to take with tyrosine.

Anxiety, Major Depressive Disorder. Might get diagnosed with PTSD, might not.

Flouvoxitine, Rexulti, Concerta, Ritalin.

Not sure about the doses.

I occasionally suffer from psychosis like symptoms.

What are they?

I am officially diagnosed with Aspergers and schizo-affective disorder and also have social anxiety, depression, agoraphobia I currently take 15mg of adderal, 4mg of abilify along with 20mg of prozac

The only ones I find that work are adderal and maybe abilify, but I am unsure about that.

Maybe we need to ask what exactly "working" means? There are meds I've been on for well over a third of my life. I don't know that they're "working." I know that they provide comfort in some way, or maybe I'm just accustomed to them. After a point, what do we really know? Episto-chemistry?

By working I mean a feeling of contentment and well-being. Maybe an increase in self esteem or the ability to smile more. Also maybe the ability to socialize better and have less intrusive thoughts just to name a few.

I think part of the reason why the medicine didn't work was because it wasn't a chemical issue, but an emotional issue. I had just come out of an abusive home and I had a VERY hard time coping with the effects of abuse at the time. I wish I was able to speak up about it and understand what happened earlier, but I didn't. I thought what happened to me was normal and I was a horrible person.

How do any of us know? I wasn't diagnosed until middle age, when my lifelong cognitive compensation, that made people think I was super-intuitive and very social, became so difficult to maintain I essentially was giving myself the equivalent of an untreated concussion.

In retrospect, it was amazing I had not racked up diagnoses for anxiety or depression; and when I did take an anxiety drug, it stopped working two weeks in.

I am not anxious when I am given a task I don't have to wear myself out to perform. I am not anxious when I have a day off and can do whatever I wish. So I don't think I have an anxiety disorder!

I take Concerta 72 mg daily dose for ADHD. It was the ADHD diagnosis which led to the autism spectrum disorder diagnosis.

Also taken the anti-psychotic drug Olanzapine, which I found effective.

Yeah, if I think things are bad now, imagine life with no memories or in- dependency. I pray this doesn't happen to me, so I constantly try to read books and figure out how to prevent this or slow it down at least. neuro-elasticity is what I am reading about now. it says that even if connections in the brain are damaged, that if you work at things using the right methods the connections in the brain can rewire themselves to use different paths to achieve the same result.

I have a mom and no friends beside one in which is a lot older then me. When they die, I will be all by myself, this provides uncertainty for me. which Is why I am trying to work on myself at the moment and hope in the future I will find a soul mate.

It feels like there is a clock ticking and life is going by so fast.

I would like to have no more memories. When I first had the head injuriy, I was happy. I could not ruminate. but then the autism, which always wins, won.

When I was 12 I was diagnosed with Mood Disorder NOS when I was in the second mental hospital I went to. My former psychologists and even my psychiatrist never really mentioned it after I was diagnosed, so I don't know whether they thought I have it or not. I was already diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome (I was diagnosed at 5) and I assume they only thought I had that.

I have been on only two meds and they didn't work for me at all. I was on Risperdal and Zoloft when I was 13 and all it did was exacerbate my problems by making me very angry. It also made me gain weight fast and it lowered my already low self-esteem. I originally was on them to help with intrusive thoughts, but they never affected my thoughts at all.

I think part of the reason why the medicine didn't work was because it wasn't a chemical issue, but an emotional issue. I had just come out of an abusive home and I had a VERY hard time coping with the effects of abuse at the time. I wish I was able to speak up about it and understand what happened earlier, but I didn't. I thought what happened to me was normal and I was a horrible person.

Meds do not work for me, either. However, I DO think it's way more physcial than mental because every time I have gone deeper into the autism, its been predicated by an assault on my brain.

I have been through terrible trauma and abuse and violence and yet, that did not make the autism worse. It made the OTHER troubles way worse, like PTSD and depression and suicide etc.

However, the autism only got worse by brain assaults.

By autism I mean things like not being able to recognize peoples' faces, like socially not getting at all when I once was able to get by, I mean sensory issues and walking around in either literal or figurative circles. THings that are not emotional.

Last brain MRI was great so it's the autism and that scares me a lot.

As I age with this, many things could hit my brain.

I was given gabapentin for nerve problems following a bout of shingles, and for a short time it seemed to help my anxiety. Then it stopped, and I managed to transition off in a short time, thanks to knowing how it works with magnesium.

I am not no longer thinking of drugs; in fact, my diagnostician said that most autistics do not have good experiences; the brain adapts to the meds and stop working.

Now, if we have ANOTHER condition, that could be different.

I was given gabapentin for nerve problems following a bout of shingles, and for a short time it seemed to help my anxiety. Then it stopped, and I managed to transition off in a short time, thanks to knowing how it works with magnesium.

I am not no longer thinking of drugs; in fact, my diagnostician said that most autistics do not have good experiences; the brain adapts to the meds and stop working.

Now, if we have ANOTHER condition, that could be different.
how long did it take you to transition off the gabapentin? im on a ton of it, possibly over 2000mg? ,its never worked for my nerve damage and its never worked on my anxiety either,the only thing it has worked on is my epilepsy,i want to come off it as i think its giving me a lot of brain lag im knackered all the time, ive got a medication review this month with a new doctor,i want to go on pregabalin, my last doctor said he wont put me on it as its to expensive to the NHS so he just kept increasing the gabapentin.

how long did it take you to transition off the gabapentin? im on a ton of it, possibly over 2000mg?

I was on the maximum US dose, don't remember what, but it was 3 pills 4 times a day.

When I started tapering off, I would add chelated magnesium very gradually, did wonders; without it, my mood would plunge down a 20 story elevator shaft. My doctor gave me a transition schedule so slow that it would have taken a year and a half... I was able to do it in 2-3 months.

What are they?

Well I dont know meds but I'll answer the rest

I do have other conditions. The diagnosed ones are depresion, anxiety, and anorexia. ptsd i have but I dont think anyone's bothered to diagnose it
I also suspect ADHD, DID. And dysgraphia

All I know that I take is effexor and geodon but I cant remember the others

I think part of the reason why the medicine didn't work was because it wasn't a chemical issue, but an emotional issue.

I bet you're right. Trauma has to be dealt with and drugs can't be the sole path used. I hope you're much improved now.

I'm not currently on any daily medications. I do consider going on something for anxiety sometimes though because I get tired of the struggle.

New Threads

Top Bottom